The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Im stumped, need some help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischif

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Okay so i was throwing a code for injectors every now and then. Tried 3 different resistors, and none made a difference. So i went and bought some injectors and put them in. Still getting the injector code every now and then, just not as often. So after that i decided to wire in new injector pig tails, since mine were hard and brittle. I hit up the junkyard for some better pigtails. The ones i got were in great shape, still nice and soft and flexible, and the harness clips felt solid. I cut the pig tails off from about 2 inchs from where the main wiring harness bolts to the back of the intake manifold. And thats were i stripped my harness down to replace the ones that were on there. My wideband is acting a bit more normal now. And i have only thrown an injector code once, but i may have forgotten to erase the old one. So i started logging, and noticed my o2 volts were all over the place. Checked out my connections for the sensor and the engine harness side connector was in bad shape, so went back to the junk yard and got one in way better condition. Spliced the new o2 pigtail in the same place where i did the injectors. So i log again, and now my o2 isnt doing jack. I had another one that was just missing the pig tail, so i wired one onto it and replaced the one on the car with it. I log, and now its working perfectly. I let it idle for a good 10 minutes and the o2 volts were fine the entire time. later on tho i logged it again and the volts were going crazy again. I noticed the electrical tape on the o2 wire was super soggy since where i spliced the pigtail on is right above the mani. So i figured that let the wiring cross some, so i re wired the pigtail to the sensor, but its still acting strange. I'm hoping the sensor just died. I hope i dont have to go and redo the entire o2 wiring from the ecu to the sensor. Thats one problem im having.

The other thing i noticed today while messing around with it, is that one of my injectors feels funny when it "pulses" If i touch injectors 124, i can feel them "pulse", its pretty noticeable. But when i touch injector 3, i can barely feel the "pulse", its pulsing at the same rate as all the others, the intensity just is way less. If i put the injector connector for 3 on any of the other injectors they pulse normally. If i put any of the other connectors on injector 3 it still barely pulses. So i decided to test the connectors, and all 4 of them gave me the same readings. So i don't think its the wiring. Does that sound like the injector may be bad? Im not sure if the rubber seat im using for that injector could just be muffling the pulse feeling i guess? I have 3 different seats on my injectors. 2 of them have the seats that are specifically made for fic's. 1 has one i got from home depot, and the last one has one from harbor freight(i ripped one of the fic's so i decided to try the 2 different kind i was able to find that fit decent). None of them leak boost. I know one of those 2 non-fic seats was kinda thick, and im not sure if thats the one on injector 3. Id pull the rail and check but one of my 3 bolts to my fuel rail snapped so i had to tap it, and i've already had to retap it once, because every time i take it out it strips. So i dont really want to have to pull the rail and test and see if it could be the injector seat im using.

Sorry for the story book. Any ideas? Things i could try to rule out wiring issues?

For your O2 sensor you should do a nice solder job on the wiring and shrink wrap it, zip tie it under the manifold to the waterpipe or something it will be fine. And for the injector you need to check them to spec's in a manual, hopefully you have one on hand and a volt/ohm meter and test them out. It does sound like it could be a bad injector but to be 100% sure test them correctly. And the way you say that the bushings are on there all miss matched I would recommend a boost leak test

Well checked my o2 wire from the engine bay all the way to the ecu, its fine. Its starting to look like a bad o2 sensor. Ran the car, and let it idle, it was fine. Once it was operating temp it was a little more spastic but not much. Revved the engine up for a few seconds, and once the revs fall back down, the o2 starts doing the same old song and dance. So looks like i replaced the dead sensor with a heat intolerant one. I'll test this again later once the car is cold and see what happens as it warms up again. So the question now is, Denso or bosch. I'm leaning toward bosch since its a good 20 bucks cheaper.

My injector seals being mismatched is fine. Blt'd to find the problem that i had ripped a seal, and blt again after i replaced the seal and used those 2 universal ones. No Leaks.

Okay so i think it may just be the seal thats making that one injector feel weak. Did a little experiment and im pretty sure the results means the injector is fine. Ran the car, and pulled one injector harness off at a time. The car still ran with just the number 3 injector plugged in(the one that feels funny). So is it safe to say that the injector is fine if the engine will run on just that one cylinder?

you aid the car runs fine without the injectors plugged in? 1 injector out of 4 and it still runs fine? That is def. not right. you need to do a ohm test on your injectors. In a service manual it will have resistance measurments in there and use a volt/ohm meter to test. Pull your fuel rail with the injectors, throw a rag over the holes grab a friend to crank the car over and check to see how the injectors are firing it will be hard to just eye up and see if they are crap. But if what you said is correct they will not be squirting really any fuel. Could be a fuel filter, or ECU is starting to crap out. Could pull the ECU out and check to see how the cap's look leaky smellin like rotten eggs. Let me know

Hey Matt, You really need to solder those wires, especially the injector ones. Thats not something you want coming lose while making a pass and you're suddenly detonating like crazy because theres no fuel in the combustion chamber.

Did you buy the injectors new or used? If you bought them new all FIC injectors come bench tested with their results so having a bad injector is very, very unlikely. If you bought them used then that is another story. Fuel injector Clinic will also clean and flow test injectors for $20 an injector. Might be worth looking into. Fuel Injector Cleaning and Flow Testing - Fuelinjectorclinic

I think replacing the o2 sensor sounds like a great idea. I am using and would recommend NTK (part number 24225). Summit Racing and Rock Auto both have it for $57. I don't have any experience with the other brands.

I said it runs with only one injector plugged in, i never said it ran fine. It barely runs with 1, but it runs the same no matter which 1 it is. I already ohm tested the injector harness plugs and they all came back with the same readings. Not sure how to go about doing that test on the injectors. The fuel filter is brand new replaced it not even 1k miles ago. The ecu is in great shape.

Not a big fan of sodering, plus i suck at it.

I'll probably go with the Bosch. Heard that one and the denso are the best ones for our cars. That and its stocked at autozone, so i wont have to wait for shipping.

On a side note, my antilag works now. Its pretty cool, can't wait to actually try it out.

New o2 sensor didnt make much of a difference. So i got bored and started volt/ohm testing everything. I guess i wasn't testing my injector harnesses right. one side comes back at 12volts, and the other side that is suppose to be around 3, comes back at 6. So i decided to test the resistance of the injector resisters themselves. All 4 of the packs i have, not one of them has any resistance at all. That or im not testing them right. Would anyone thats close to the ne mind letting me test theirs, just so i can be sure.

Okay well i bought some resistors to make my own injector resistor. Tested them first real fast. I guess my multimeter was bad, because i was getting zero resistance on the resistors. So i went out got a new multimeter, and retested everything. My Injector harness's constant power side comes back with 11.93volts across all 4. Each injectors resistance is around 3 ohms. All of my resistor packs come back at 6.x ohms. So then i tested each injector wire from the ecu to the injector harness. One test i tested for resistance and got zero, the other test i jumped the battery through it and got a 12.6x back on all 4 injector wires from the ecu to the injectors. Did the same thing for the resistor pack harness to injector harness. So it appears that my injectors, resistor, and all related wiring is fine. So why the hell am i throwing an injector code? That just leaves the cas and coil pack systems to test.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back