The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Goal= Tens

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm aiming for tens but as I'm realizng slowly but usrely these stock cams with smim and big turbo are KILLLLLLLLLING me:mad:

The car pulls like mad then makes a noise like a car with a blownheadgasket(weird pitched sucking noise) I'm assuming this is the car choking or the internal wastegate blowing open but when it happens the boost doesn't move the car just stops pullin and it will only happen above like 5-6k.
It helps if your mods match each other. A big turbo and smim work well at high rpm, stock cams work best at low to mid rpm range.

I can't rule out any problems with your car, probably has something odd going on. If you're still using original valvesprings they may be sagged and valves are beginning to float or bounce off their seats at high rpm. It happened with my 90 Laser. It didn't make any odd noises, the power just dropped off after 5500rpm.

It helps if your mods match each other. A big turbo and smim work well at high rpm, stock cams work best at low to mid rpm range.

I can't rule out any problems with your car, probably has something odd going on. If you're still using original valvesprings they may be sagged and valves are beginning to float or bounce off their seats at high rpm. It happened with my 90 Laser. It didn't make any odd noises, the power just dropped off after 5500rpm.

Vlave float at only like 5.5k hmm I always thought of float as like a 8k kinda thing especialy since my head is a fresh rebuilt one with new springs.

Mine did a similar thing. At like 6.5k it would stop pulling harder. Hence like the peak HP. I had a pte 6031 and cams. Then I put a jmf smim and did some tuning. At first it wasnt much better but then I added timing at 6k and up. I now get like a peak of 26*. At 6.5k it feels and almost and sounds like vtech. But times 1000. It gets louder and pulls so hard the car squats a little bit more. I had the rev limit at 7.5 but thats hard to stay off so I upped it to 8k. I also upped the boost from 19 to 22. I dont know if it was the smim or tuning but probably both.

Check out BC cams cheap and I love them. But I have never had anything else but stock so I dont know.

Mine did a similar thing. At like 6.5k it would stop pulling harder. Hence like the peak HP. I had a pte 6031 and cams. Then I put a jmf smim and did some tuning. At first it wasnt much better but then I added timing at 6k and up. I now get like a peak of 26*. At 6.5k it feels and almost and sounds like vtech. But times 1000. It gets louder and pulls so hard the car squats a little bit more. I had the rev limit at 7.5 but thats hard to stay off so I upped it to 8k. I also upped the boost from 19 to 22. I dont know if it was the smim or tuning but probably both.

Check out BC cams cheap and I love them. But I have never had anything else but stock so I dont know.

I don't doubt their good cams but my cam plan is and has been fp2xs with manleyt springs but money has been going to so many other things haven't had the time. Ahead of cams I have maft gen2 and built trans(right now I have no 5th gear :mad: ) then comes cams and a trip to the dyno with a number 450 or higher in mind :rocks:

Thanks!

I plan on hitting the track frequently this summer to see if I can get deeper into the tens. I was out a couple weeks ago and got a new best trap speed at 133.3 mph in 85 degree temps. I didn't get a good ET since I was babying the clutch. I put in a new clutch last weekend, I hope it holds the power. If it does, my trap speed tells me I could be running 10.6 if I get a clean pass. I'm hoping for the best!

good luck dave!

I was looking at the dates and realized that next wed is July 4th. a few of us were planning on going but arent sure now. Are you still planning to go?

act 2600 ftw dave. It will hold for at least the first run of the night,... LOL

when are you going to change the name of this thread to:

GOAL=LOW TENS

I mean seriously, your car probably weighs around 2850,... and LOOKY LOOKY

http://dsmtimes.org/details.php?ID=1048

act 2600 ftw dave. It will hold for at least the first run of the night,... LOL

when are you going to change the name of this thread to:

GOAL=LOW TENS

I mean seriously, your car probably weighs around 2850,... and LOOKY LOOKY

http://dsmtimes.org/details.php?ID=1048

Yep, I added an ACT2600 pressure plate with a sprung 6 puck disc. It should hold.

Nice link. My car weighs about 2900 with me in it. If only I could hit a 1.4 60' time. Probably won't happen on street tires. Good drag radials might do the trick. Nitrous would be cheaper tho. hmmmm...

That guy's got an auto. I don't know how it compares to NLTS driving in terms of being able to hold boost between shifts but I'd imagine it has the advantage.

mahesh, are you underestimating dave? I think you should know by now, thats really, REALLY stupid LOL. I just figured, if anyone can do it, (basically, if physics allows it) Dave can!!!111!1!!1!!

can't wait for you to get some more runs under your belt with the new pressure plate and see what you can do with a good 60 foot time and a clutch that holds throughout the run. Hopefully well see some 135+ passes, and some good times to go with it.

that 1g would be insane with like a 100 shot of it...def. 9's:thumb:

I know! I already went over 135mph last season. With a little more practice at this power level I should see the times drop. Add some traction and nitrous, say a prayer to the drivetrain gods, and 9's just might be within reach. OMG I can't believe I just said that. :)

im surprised you haven't dropped below the 10.8's we know its not your driving, it might be in your launch a little, but i doubt it based on the whole, i've seen them in person deal. Maybe your motor could use a little freshening up after all the torture you've put it through. Or maybe just some pure 116 octane, LOL

im surprised you haven't dropped below the 10.8's we know its not your driving, it might be in your launch a little, but i doubt it based on the whole, i've seen them in person deal. Maybe your motor could use a little freshening up after all the torture you've put it through. Or maybe just some pure 116 octane, LOL

Nah, motor's fine. It turns out there was a growing crack around the wastegate tube coming off the collector, and spoolup gradually slowed down. I didn't notice it since the crack grew a little at a time. I just though it was turbo lag. So I have a new manifold now, and the spoolup is much nicer!

Im expecting some no nos 10.5's, ask kamil if you can borrow his "shoes", and get some lighter rotors, and possibly the single piston calipers off a 90/91. The rotors are smaller, so that lower rotating mass will help you out. also, iono if they will let me, but I'm willing to push your car off the line to help with those 60's LOL

Hows your head flowing? Oversized valves? what cams are you running again? Im gonna go ahead and suggest the .82 a/r turbine housing for you. I think with you behind the wheel, you have a good chance at 9's no nos with more boost and tuning. Edwin's running 34 on his 30r, you should be up there around 38 if your looking for 9's. Buschur's professional driver did it in a full weight evo on the 35r, I hold you up to the same expectations, LOL.

I think if you get into the 9's, a "get dave a 42r set up" fund will start here in the bay, LOL.

get some lighter rotors, and possibly the single piston calipers off a 90/91. The rotors are smaller, so that lower rotating mass will help you

Hi,

Awesome car man. If you are going to lighten up the brakes why don't you talk to Todd at TCE about getting some lightweight rotors/calipers. I have emailed him a couple times about this and he said he could put together a real nice package for me.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the small rotors from a '90 at your trap speeds but that is just me. I don't have any first hand info to back this up, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Bill

About the brakes, I have the twin piston oem big brakes. I thought about going back to the small single piston calipers to save weight, but it's only a couple pounds and I like good brakes! This car gains speed so fast it's rediculous, even a quick second gear pull can scare me a little ( which is exactly how I like it :) ) It's nice knowing I can reign it in just as fast.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back