The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Fastest Times with only Free mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92Laser-T

Probationary Member
Feb 2, 2003
Lakeland_FL
I was just curious on What times are possible for a FWD 1g on just free mods alone. I just got a 92 Talon Turbo FWD and i'm new to the DSM world and learnin alot so far and am excited and impressed on what these cars can do on not much money. Also stock for stock who wins 1g or 2g :D

I need more info on you list of free mods.. I asume that you have removed the air can, silencer and the restrictor in the boost control solenoid. Have you done any weight reduction?? How about port work?? RE-wired the fuel pump??? Cleaned out the the intercooler?? If not then this should help your car be even faster just make sure that you performe a tune up first. The diference that will make is well worth the time and money. With all this done to my GSX I beet a CELICA GT-S by a long shot.

Well I actually dont have the car yet its in the process of bein converted from auto to stick professionally so I haven't had the chance. I jut wanted to know what I would excpet gettin outa it b4 I dump money into it. I allready ordered a boost gauge and A/f juts to keep a eye on it and when i get it i'm changin the plugs, wires and fuel filter. i plain on guttin the mas and removein the silencer and openin up the intake when I get it. Also how time consumin is it to clean out the Intercooler. So basically i'm lookin at mid to low 14's off free mods i'm great driver so aint worried bout that

It took me 3 times to get the intercooler clean but was about 2hrs start to finish. I had a #### load of black stuff come out the first time. If yor a good driver you might see low 14's. nt sure about FWD though???

OK sounds good appreciate the help there.... What should be my first mods when I can start dumpin money into it i'll bring home around 400 a week and only have to pay insurance so its workin out great for me. I was thinkin custom 3" exhuast and intake and then EBC. My all time goal is to beat a friend of mines dads C5 cause he has a shitty 6-cyl mustang all riced out wit a HUGE ass spoiler so when anyone mentions racin he always says he gonna go home and get his dads car.

the intercooler is not hard to clean out at all.... i did it to my 2g this past weekend. it took me a little over an hour and a half to two hours because getting it back on was kinda hard cuz i couoldnt get one of the bolts lined up. i could notice an improvement when the turbo spooled so i would devinatly recommend cleaning out the intercooler....:thumb:

I bought a 90 laser FWD-t for one of my buddies for 600 a few weeks ago, free mods so far. I'll give you guys a killer slip when the track opens a la free mods :)

Back when my car only had free mods (removed aircan, K&N,BCS restrictor removed) it ran a 14.9@94. I know the K&N isnt free but whatever LOL. I believe had like a mixture of pump gas and unleaded 100 octane at that time also, but that was like 2 years ago. i look back and only think "man if only i could drive back then" it would have been a an easy 14.5-14.6 im pretty sure.

i got a 91 TSi AWD and i ran a 15 flat @ 91 Mph but u gotta consider that i live in Hawaii and the track we have here is a piece of s#!t. not to mention its slightly uphill, so if the owner of Hawaii Raceway Park happens to come across this post, FIX THE G-DAMN TRACK!!!! oh yeah and all i have is a Turbo XS MBC and the free mods, im running 13lbs. of boost. oh yeah and by the way....... how much boost can u run stock...?? SAFELY?

See my sig.

Replace the exhaust with a dropped downpipe, and just leave the stock air cleaner in place of the K&N filter and use a $.50 bleed valve for boost control.

Or you could spend about $75 and run exactly what I did with the exhaust drop.

If you need it for the street, gut the cat. With the stock exhaust in place and gutted cat you will add about 5 or 6/10's to my ET.

Originally posted by 92Laser-T
Well I actually dont have the car yet its in the process of bein converted from auto to stick

There's one problem with that I'm afraid, 1st gen auto's had the 13B turbo from the factory.:( If you want to be making some nice times your going to need a 14B ASAP. My friend has a 92 Laser FWD auto with a K/N filter and his best run was a [email protected].

That same night I ran a [email protected] with only free mods. Good luck.

It has a 14b. None of the engine was orignally in the Laser The motor, Manual Tranny, Head and Turbo, where out of a diffrent DSM. At first the guy was gonn sell it put in the head and motor and turbo out of a manual that was wrecked into the auto but the auto was slippin So he sold it to me and told me that he would convert to Manual for me. I"m really good friends with the guy so I no what all is goin on with it but I no its a 14B

Originally posted by k3k0a
i got a 91 TSi AWD and i ran a 15 flat @ 91 Mph but u gotta consider that i live in Hawaii and the track we have here is a piece of s#!t. not to mention its slightly uphill, so if the owner of Hawaii Raceway Park happens to come across this post, FIX THE G-DAMN TRACK!!!! oh yeah and all i have is a Turbo XS MBC and the free mods, im running 13lbs. of boost. oh yeah and by the way....... how much boost can u run stock...?? SAFELY?

With stock fuel system, I would only run 15psi (w/ kn filter and some exhaust work). Don't get too big of an exhaust like me or you will experience mad boost creep. I set my hallman mbc at 15psi and it creeps to 20psi until it hits fuel cut. But, I will need the big exhaust for a future 20g so I will live with it for now. What do you think I will run for a 1/4 mile time? (mods in sig)

free mods + k and n filter = 13.7 in a 2g I saw it myself!!! And am hoping for the same thing

Attachments

• my turbo dsm.jpg
    my turbo dsm.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 890
My 1992 Laser FWD, stock air filter, modified MAS, hollow cat, NGK plugs, boost line pulled from BCS, 14.1 at 99mph. My friend's GSX with a K&N, boost line pulled, and Centerforce clutch, 13.9 at 96mph.

Regards,

I really hope you guys are kidding around about the times. Because I am bringing my FWD TSi to the track for the first time, and would love to see a low 14 slip. And I have a ported 16g, ACT, 2.5" Upper pipe, 2.5" intake and a 3"exhaust with the boost at 12. Most people have been telling me to hope for mid 14's, so either I've been underestimating my car, or you guys are really good drivers. Cause those are some sweet FWD times for free mods.

I am correcting my last reply because I typed it wrong. I meant to say I hope you guys aren't kidding, because you're really getting my hopes up. I didn't mean for it to sound like I didn't believe your guys' times. Just wish me luck at the track, because I have a lot of trash talking stangs and cameros that are going to be there.

it all depends on your driving...I also found out he had a little more done to the car like bov and a mbc, but still if your a good driver and you cand link up on the launch you should be able to crack into the 14s stockmid 14s with free mods.

i ran a 14.71 at 84 mph on a friends 90 tsi awd, bone stock, completey bone stock, no free mods, with him in the car, and the motor blew 1/8 mile, i pulled a 1.8 60 foot, what a run that would have been, ym 1/8th mile mph was liek 78

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back