The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Factory oil pressure gauge not reading

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster

Proven Member
Jun 25, 2017
Somonauk, Illinois
My oil pressure gauge quit on me after the car sat for a while. Replaced the sending unit with an OEM sending unit from mitsu also rewired the connector. Still not reading. Anything else i can check? I know the car has oil pressure its just not reading on the gauge. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 20200625_134013.jpg
    20200625_134013.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200625_134021.jpg
    20200625_134021.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 195
I would bet dollars to donuts that you have a break in that wire somewhere else. Not a fun task but chase that wire to the firewall and make sure it isn't chewed into two by a rodent or something.

The unit you pictured and replaced is the oil pressure switch, which triggers the low/no oil dummy light. The bigger unit is the actual oil pressure gauge, which feeds a signal to the needle on the dash. The one to the right (not seen in the picture).
The unit you pictured and replaced is the oil pressure switch, which triggers the low/no oil dummy light. The bigger unit is the actual oil pressure gauge, which feeds a signal to the needle on the dash. The one to the right (not seen in the picture).
Where is it located on here?

Attachments

• 15931120323673886755016900864301.jpg
    15931120323673886755016900864301.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 170
you have a front facing oil filter housing. did you know that???

the most common thing to do is swap that switch for a sender and then hook the cut wire to the sender. you will have the pressure gauge but the idiot light will be on. how involved do you want to get here?

Last edited:
you have a front facing oil filter housing. did you know that???

the most common thing to do is swap that switch for a sender and then hook the cut wire to the sender. you will have the pressure gauge but the idiot light will be on. how involved do you want to get here?
I dont mind putting in a little extra work. I swear before i parked this thing the gauge worked... are you saying this OFH isnt factory for this 1g?

correct, it is not a factory item on that car.

so decide if you want both the idiot light, and the gauge. you can do this.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/attachments/84e5ec22-f32b-45e4-91cd-7ba44ec7de7d-jpg.327421/

or you could just run the sensor and ground out the idiot light, but with out doing some extra work you do not get both.

you could put a 'T' fitting on the bottom but it would hang pretty low.
I see, thank you. Ill have to dig around and see if i have a sending unit for this car somewhere. Do you know if any other similar model year sending units are compatible? Theres some 2g 1.8s and 2g 420as at a junkyard near me

The FFOFH only has ONE accessory outlet but some people have made a 2nd place where the "E" hole is at. That is what I show in the 2nd picture. The casting there is pretty dam thin so IDK if I'd mod mine or not.
I would run that ONE outlet to a gang of ports remotely and not hang anything off of the OFH itself. They will and do break off.
Just a suggestion.
Pops
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The FFOFH only has ONE accessory outlet but some people have made a 2nd place where the "E" hole is at. That is what I show in the 2nd picture. The casting there is pretty dam thin so IDK if I'd mod mine or not.
I would run that ONE outlet to a gang of ports remotely and not hang anything off of the OFH itself. They will and do break off.
Just a suggestion.
Pops
I appreciate your insight a lot. Glad to see this forum still filled with great people.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back