The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

differences between 6 bolt and 7 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shin

Probationary Member
Apr 30, 2009
a-town, Wisconsin
i need to know as much as i can for differences bewtween 6 bolt and 7 bolt and i need to know how to id them.. i just bought a parts car that i need a block and rotating assembly.. the crank that came with it was a 6 bolt but then i looked at the clutch and it was a 7 bolt.. this cars motor is in pieces so i need to know how to id blocks, head, pistons, rods. would apperciate it.. thanks

It seems like you have mix match parts, A 7bolt clutch cannot be used in a 6 bolt motor.
Look at he crank and see how many bolt holes are on it.Looks like you have both 6 and 7 bolts parts.

It seems like you have mix match parts, A 7bolt clutch cannot be used in a 6 bolt motor.
Look at he crank and see how many bolt holes are on it.Looks like you have both 6 and 7 bolts parts.

The Clutch disk and pressure plate are the same from 90-99

The flywheel is different tho.

i know i have a six bolt crank, and a seven bolt clutch or atleast flywheel.. but those are both junk i need to know what block i need the rods block and pistons from this car... it would be nice to find out if the head would work..

those links don't help me much since i don't know were oil squirts are since the block is bare..and it didn't come with head bolts.... i need more id... i can assure this is a very common question i do apologize but i did try searching but nothing i found helps me out... it did come with oil squirter's or what i think is oil squirter's are in a ziplock bag.. but do 7 bolts not have oil squirter's? thanks

Oil squirters look like this.
See the little goldish color things pointing up into the cylinders. That is an oil squirter. if you dont have these and there is NO holes for them, then you have a NON turbo 6 bolt block.

The only way to tell if its a 6 bolt block is to look at the shape of the oil pan gasket. Or try to put that 6 bolt crank you have in the block. If it fits then its a 6 bolt block. If it doesn't fit then its a 7 bolt. Cause the 7 bolt main jounals are smaller in Diameter.

Attachments

• DSCI0117.jpg
    DSCI0117.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 590
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back