The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Convertible Top Won't Respond

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablobtown

Proven Member
Sep 16, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
I have an issue with my convertible top on my GS-T. When I press the switch to move it, all I hear is a bunch of loud relays behind the back seats clicking and nothing happen. Both going up and down. It used to be to tap the button a couple times then it'll go. But now it doesn't work at all!!! :banghead: I switched the switch in the back to manual so I can at least push it down myself. But thats annoying and takes time. Anyone know whats going on here? Thanks for any help in advance!

Same thing happens to every Spyder owner. The motor probably did not burn out, it is more likely the shear pin broke. You'd think you would hear the motors running, but they can be hard to hear behind the panels.

Remove your rear side panels, and have a friend operate the dash switch while you hold the motor casing. You will feel the motor running if it is the shear pin.

One of our shear pins broke and partially came out. It jammed the gears so that the motor was not able to overcome the friction, so at first it seemed the motor was burned out. When the shear pin was replaced, the motor worked fine.

Burned out motors and broken shear pins are two different problems. I am suggesting to the OP to check the motor for spinning first, and a broken jammed shear pin second. New motors aren't as cheap as a shear pin, and, if he doesn't know what to look for, may experience the same problem with a different motor.

A shear pin is a small, strong post of metal, about the diameter of a coat hangar. The shear pin needs to be very strong, so don't use any kind of wire, go get a shear pin (make it at least 4 pieces when you find them so you have some on hand). You will need to go to a hardware store, or online, or dealer to get one. But, as you now know, they are a crucial part of your top system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back