The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

ACT 2900 or Slowboy 4000?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunch_Box

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2003
Sherwood Park, Alberta_Canada
I need help deciding on what clutch to go with, the ACT 2900 with street disk or the Slowboy 4000. I will be running a 2.4L with a FP 3575 turbo.

I am not stock but almost everything performance that was is the car has been sold and will be replaced. The car has a 7 bolt ACT 2600 in it right now and I was going to go with the 2900 but I was wondering what people thought of the new Slowboy clutch.

Well if that's the case. Go with the 2900. I'mgoing to run act 2600 with sbr disk in my 2.3L. But I think you may be pushing a lil more power for the 2600.

Is there any reason why you are saying to go with ACT over SBR?

is this a daily driver? if so then go with the sbr. reason being is that it will hve half if not less than half pressure as the 2900 and the sbr is sintered iron so i believe it will slip easier for city driving. I believe sintered iron will grip better the hotter it gets. unlike the 2900 that will grip because of extreme pressure.

Yes this is going to be in my daily summer car. I have heard that the new 2900's have less pedal pressure than the 2600's.

ALOT of people run ACT in general and most are happy. i will be running the sbr 3500 myself. I have also heard about the quality issues that vendors are having with act and some have stopped dealing with them(act). I have no issues with act i choose sbr out of personnel interest.

p.s I recieved my sbr clutch a couple of days ago and the quality is excellant compared to the pictures I have seen from the ACT 2100 and 2600.

I don't know anything about the SBR clutch, but I daily drove my 2900. The pedal pressure isn't noticably stiffer than the 2600-it was probably the same. I did have a bunch of disengagement problems with my car after putting the 2900 in, but maybe my clutch system components were just old/worn out. I eventually got it to disengage and the clutch worked fine. The 2900 can definitely hold the power you're going to put out if all goes well tuning-wise and you make your 600+++ whp. Good luck with whatever you choose, if you have the money, throw some down for a nice twin disc clutch that will for sure work w/o issues.

I use the 4000 in my 639whp AWD car :thumb:

Hasn't slipt yet, and it has over 20 dyno pulls on a dynapack that puts alot of load on the drivetrain.

Nate
SBR

red91gst said:
I use the 400 in my 639whp AWD car :thumb:

Hasn't slipt yet, and it has over 20 dyno pulls on a dynapack that puts alot of load on the drivetrain.

Nate
SBR

Yeah but your say might be a little swayed. :p Do you also have the SBR flywheel? Do you think you are going to have any issues once you get the car on the road and start putting some miles on it?

Lunch_Box said:
Yeah but your say might be a little swayed. :p Do you also have the SBR flywheel? Do you think you are going to have any issues once you get the car on the road and start putting some miles on it?

LOL, just a little.

I dont think i'll have any problems with it at the track, it seems to be holding up very well and pedal pressure is great.

Nate
SBR

Lunch_Box said:
What flywheel are you using?

As of right now, stock LOL.

Soon to be one of our aluminum ones.

Nate
SBR

Hey Nate and or other 4000 users, was wondering how the engagement is with this clutch. Is it equal to 2600, in other words, if a 2600 is RIGHT off the floor, expect the 4000 to be the same?

Thanks in advance, Rob

red91gst said:
I use the 4000 in my 639whp AWD car :thumb:

Nate
SBR

Old post but I never noticed this before, you can clearly hear somebody say "That's the clutch slipping still.", on the dyno video on your website. Is that a different car or what?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back