The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g tranny in a 2g awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steel_3d

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2003
LA, California
I'm in the search for a tranny for my 97 gsx since mine got stolen out of my garage recently (I'm having great luck with hooliganism here in LA, I've had over 5 grand worth of shit stolen or burned in the past 6 months.. And I live in a GOOD area! :) /vent ).

I'd like to know whether any 1g awd tranny will fit in a 97 gsx. Are the axle and driveshaft splines the same throughout? I'm pretty sure I need a matching t-case if I go with a 1g tranny. Can someone list the various t-case spline configurations by year? And any differences in the trannies.

So far the only issue I know of is the shifter cable bracket being tricky to line up. Anything else I should be aware of? It just seems like it's gonna be impossible to find a 97 tranny so I'm trying to broaden my options.

Does anyone have any info on 1g trannies in a 2g? Please? :)

Heres what i was told before:

The 2g trannies have more mounts then the 1g. The 2g cant tage a 1g tranny but the 1g can take a 2g tranny. Not sure if the whole mount thing but i heard thats how it is. Someone can verify this please.

Jeff

yes there is an extra mount on the 2g tranny that makes it impossible to a 1g tranny on the 2g chassis.

Two extra. The front and rear motor mounts on the 2g are on the tranny where as the motor in the 1g has 3 on the block. You would need to modify the mounting points to get it to work. Better off finding a 2g.
Mike

Yeah, that's what I've found out. Need to modify/move the mounts to bolt up to the 6-bolt block mounting locations. Requires some fabrication, possibly welding, drilling through the front crossmember, making sure you don't drill into the steering rack/hydraulic lines, etc.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a 2g tranny though...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back