The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD and street tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaktheripper

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Cincy, Ohio
It seems like most the FWD times I see are either pretty high or if they're low slicks were used. My goal is to get into the 12's with street tires (I know it's been done, I talked to one member on here who showed me a video run with stock tires and FWD), so I was wondering if you guys could post up your best runs with FWD and street tires(along with mods if they're not in your profile.) Thanks.

jaktheripper said:
It seems like most the FWD times I see are either pretty high or if they're low slicks were used. My goal is to get into the 12's with street tires (I know it's been done, I talked to one member on here who showed me a video run with stock tires and FWD), so I was wondering if you guys could post up your best runs with FWD and street tires(along with mods if they're not in your profile.) Thanks.

All i have is intake, ant catback, plus a boost controller and i went 14.2 with a shitty 2.25 60 foot. Im almost posotive i can break into the 13s with the way it sits now.

I run kumho ecsta suprs 712s, and i lower the tire pressure to 19 psi. My best 60 foot so far is 2.1

14.79. with only 2.5" cat back...bout 60% tread left on the Kumhos...18psi in the front tires

13.355 with bridgestone potenza re711 21psi

While I must say that that's a nice run, I also must ask (since I don't know): are green dot retreads really a street tire?

- Jtoby

jtmcinder said:
While I must say that that's a nice run, I also must ask (since I don't know): are green dot retreads really a street tire?

- Jtoby

I don't see why not. You can prolly get close to 15k miles out of em with daily driving. And at only $69/pop, who cares if you burn thru a set? How many other performance tires can you buy for $69 each? Granted they aren't a great autocross tire or anything, but for drag racing, I like mine. Those same Greet Dots are now on my AWD car, helping me cut 1.58 60's.

I know it can be done, but for me, the more power I make, the harder it is to achieve a lower ET slip on street tires (at the same boost levels). The best 60ft I've cut is 2.4 :thumbdown and once the turbo spools in 1st, the rest is just "You like them spinning tires" through 2nd gear and I finally somewhat hook in 3rd. My 1.8th mile sucks, but I'm gaining 30mph on the big end on a sidenote :) I should be trapping atleast 90-92, but the best i've managed so far is 84.

do retreadsunlimited shipp there tires. because i email them and never ever got a reply back. :mad:

Awesome run man. Any tips on how you launched that thing?

moliver said:
i ran a 12.190 with street tires

Moliver,
May we ask you to update your profile and the "other relevant info" section. Either that or fess up with the bullshit. 12.19@127 on a 16G and pump gas? I don't think so. 127mph ain't gonna happen on a 16G if you dropped it off an airplane. 1.71 60' on street radials and you are FWD?

Anyone else see any discrepancies that don't add up?

What exactly are retread tires? Is that just the name of the company or is it in referecne to something else? It sounds like they are used tires or something. :|

IHeartTurbo said:
What exactly are retread tires? Is that just the name of the company or is it in referecne to something else? It sounds like they are used tires or something. :|

They are just like what you find on semi trucks. Also what you see laying on the side of the road when they fall off the semi tires :) They take performance tires, and basically put a new tread on them. You can physically see where the old and new rubber meet. However, the new rubber they put on is so damn soft, it's not funny. You can literally push the rubber in with your hand. Kind of like an actual slick tire. And it doesn't matter if it's -10 deg. outside, it's THAT soft. I think this is a BIG advantage vs. a DR, especially in the cold. DR's are a very hard tire, by nature. They work best when heated up and get sticky. I've never done a burnout in my life, never dry hopped, nothing. I only had the FWD to the track a few times with them, but with no burnout, just AGX's in the rear, set to 8, I was able to click a few 1.95 60's without much practice. On my AWD car, it's crazy. 40 degrees outside, and I'm cutting 1.58 60's launching easy at 5k rpm on a stock suspension.

i like these tires. Many others will disagree and like what they like. I make what's on my car work.

NOSLO2PT0 said:
They are just like what you find on semi trucks. Also what you see laying on the side of the road when they fall off the semi tires :) They take performance tires, and basically put a new tread on them. You can physically see where the old and new rubber meet. However, the new rubber they put on is so damn soft, it's not funny. You can literally push the rubber in with your hand. Kind of like an actual slick tire. And it doesn't matter if it's -10 deg. outside, it's THAT soft. I think this is a BIG advantage vs. a DR, especially in the cold. DR's are a very hard tire, by nature. They work best when heated up and get sticky. I've never done a burnout in my life, never dry hopped, nothing. I only had the FWD to the track a few times with them, but with no burnout, just AGX's in the rear, set to 8, I was able to click a few 1.95 60's without much practice. On my AWD car, it's crazy. 40 degrees outside, and I'm cutting 1.58 60's launching easy at 5k rpm on a stock suspension.

i like these tires. Many others will disagree and like what they like. I make what's on my car work.

what do you think they would pull 60' wise on stock suspension

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back