The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

More Headlight Fogging/Yellowing Fixes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After reading multiple articles on how to clean up the headlights on my Talon I tried them all to no avail. Unfortuneately mine weren't just fogged and yellowed, you could actually feel crustyness of the UV damaged plastic and the pitting and corrosion from neglect (I just bought it). After all the other fixes out there failed to resolve my bad headlights I came up with a plan, if your headlights are bad, and I mean bad. the following might work for you where others have failed.

Supplies:
1000-grit Sandpaper
2000-grit Sandpaper
McGuires ScratchX Scratch Remover
Spray Bottle filled with water
Shop Towels

1. Pick a headlight to start on and spray it down with water. Dig out the 1000-Grit sandpaper and start sanding the headlight, keep it wet and wipe the plastic dust off frequently. Keep at it until the dust isn't yellow anymore and you can't feel any pits or corrosion on the lens.

2. At this point your headlight looks worse than when you started...it may have been foggy before but now you're wishing you had left them alone because they are clouded worse than ever before. Never fear. Dig out the 2000-Grit sandpaper and spray the headlight down, like before keep it wet, keep sanding and wiping and spraying until any minor imperfections come out, and all the scratches from the 1000-grit paper are smoothed out.

3. Yes I know they are still foggy. Wash them off completely and dry them thoroughly. Now grab that expensive tube of ScratchX and follow the directions, rub it on using tight circles and lots of elbow grease. Let it dry and then buff it off and look at your headlight. Has it ever looked better? No I didn't think so.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 above on the second headlight.

I hope this helps relieve some of the aggrevation I had in trying to find a solution to my headlight issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back