The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Headlight Cleaning and Clear Coat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

have you ever looked at your headlights and thought "man these stockers suck!"? have u ever thought is retrofit the only way to get good light output?? tired of cleaning your headlights every 6 months cuz they haze up all over again? well boy do I have news for you! so over the summer I was thinking what can I do to fully restore the headlights and protect them, well after a few weeks of research I have found a solution!

Step 1: Go to the auto store and buy these 3 products microfiber towels, the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit (Part # 39008 at Orielly's) and then the Duplicolor Headlight Kit (Part # HLR100 at Orielly's) shouldn't be more than 50 bucks altogether.

Step 2: Clean off your Headlight of Dirt and bugs

Step 3: (Optional) Remove headlight, I did and it made it so much easier to get all the corners.

Step 4: Open up your 3M kit and get to work cleaning them up following the instructions in the kit and then finish up with the polish at the end

Step 5: Open up the Duplicolor kit, itll have 2 spray cans one is a cleaner and one is the clearcoat, I spray their cleaner on top and then wiped off everything with some clean microfibers to give a good clean base for the clear coat.

Step 6: Spray the clear on in the intervals specified on the box. I did 3 coats but u can do more if u want, and I let mine set overnight to dry, then I reinstalled the headlights and that was it.

Hope this helps someone looking for a more permanent process, I did mine 6 months ago and they still look the same as the day I did them! I can upload pics of before and after on request

These pictures are after 6 months (excuse the dirty car) i will get a pics of light output later on
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and here are some light output shots, these are just stock bulbs in the housing and im gonna eventually go over to silverstars but the light output now is WAY better than when uncleaned and the clear keeps them like this for a long time (im going on 7 months now and they look the same as the day I did them)
Low Beams from inside car

Low Beams

High Beams

that fence is probably at least 3 cars away, for reference

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back