The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Need 2G AWD fuel pump hanger to help regulate pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nast_2G

Probationary Member
Mar 23, 2024
Molalla, Oregon
Hey guys, my car is at a shop and they stated I’m in need of a fuel pump hanger for my 97 GSX. It stopped regulating fuel pressure in one of the lines and can’t be fixed. So I need a replacement. We initially thought it was a bad fuel pump but apparently they traced the issue to the hanger itself and of course these are difficult to find.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not to sure how else to elaborate that as I’m just quoting what I was told. That something with the hanger that helps with the pressure for when you start the car isn’t producing the pressure it needs. So the part that is needed can’t be found and they need the hanger to help with the problem. I do apologize as I’m not familiar with the fuel system or how things work with it. I just know a new hanger is needed. I’ve gone through a few different fuel pumps and one or two at the shop it’s at with all good fuel pumps and this new shop was finally able to trace the problem. I live in Oregon and there aren’t many shops near me who knows these cars well that are close to me. I was able to finally find a shop with an owner who knows these cars well and was able to finally trace the issue.

I'm sorry but I disagree that the shop you have knows these cars well. No need to apologize. Call these guys.
They will know.
If you have a pressure problem and the hanger is suspect there there is something physically broken/rusted with it. Or the problem lies elsewhere. I would have the shop clarify before you buy a part, especially one that may be pricey. Did they diagnose low fuel pressure? If you have a hanger in your hand you would be able to tell its a simple thing. The typical problems arise from where the pump connects to it. I assume they have it out of the car. Have them show it to you. Truly not trying to insult your shop but that's why we're here, information.

So I was able to fully understand the shop stated to me. I picked up my car this morning to bring it home. They said it is the check valve that is broken. When it starts the car won’t hold its fuel pressure. So they said the hanger needs to be replaced. Does that help any more? Thank you!

No. If the check valve they speak of is in the fuel pump just replace the fuel pump.

If it’s the plastic siphon tube on the return then just replace the siphon tube.

Is your car awd or not?

-Daniel

It’s a 97 GSX AWD. It’s sounds like it’s in the hanger itself. I have had about four or so fuel pumps in it all testing good and working properly. The shop even put a new one in to test it to clarify if it’s the fuel pumps or hanger itself. So it sounds like it may be the tube you are speaking of. Do you happen to have a picture of the siphon tube (clarification for which tube it is on the hanger) and know where to get a replacement one for it?

There is no check valve on the hanger itself. It’s just a metal housing with a couple of metal lines on it.

The siphon would be after the fuel pressure regulator anyways so I didn’t think that through much.

Do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with a gauge on it or just the factory one in the fuel rail?

-Daniel

The fuel pump/hanger is stock. There is nothing aftermarket for the fuel system. It sounds which ever check valve that is apart of the hanger is what is not holding the pressure anymore and needs replacing. That is why I am looking for for replacement.

The fuel pump/hanger is stock. There is nothing aftermarket for the fuel system. It sounds which ever check valve that is apart of the hanger(it may not be apart of it) I may have misunderstood, is what is not holding the pressure anymore and needs replacing.

This is the bottom of the hanger with no pump on it. There is no check valve in it.

I know you said you have it at the shop and they said it’s not holding pressure. What made you take to them to begin with? What were the symptoms you were experiencing?

-Daniel

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Perfect. Mine looks the same. So where is the check valve located that they may be referring to that’s needs replacing that is suppose to be in connection with the hanger? I’m sorry for all the questions, I do not have much experience in this area related to fuel.

There is a check valve in the pump itself. The purpose of it is to not let fuel pressure bleed off after shutting the engine down but wouldn’t affect driving the car just restarting it.

The fuel pressure regulator should be responsible for maintaining the fuel pressure while running the engine.

-Daniel

They said it is the check valve that is broken.
It sounds which ever check valve that is apart of the hanger is what is not holding the pressure anymore and needs replacing.
Check valve is not the one holds the fuel pressure while the fuel pump/car is running, the fuel pump build the pressure and the fuel regulator regulates the fuel pressure. Even if the stock builtin check valve in the fuel pump or external check valve stops working as a check valve, your car should run as long as if the fuel pump/fuel regulator are working.

Last edited:
That’s exactly what the shop said also and what I was trying to understand. Is the pump you are referring to different than the fuel pump itself?

since I’ve had my 97 GSX it has really long start times. It seemed as if it wasn’t getting fuel in some way but I couldn’t figure out the problem. So I had changed in and out a few different fuel pumps just to check to see if maybe I was sent a bad pump possibly. They all seemed to work great and were tested at the shop with no problem. So they tried their own pump to see if maybe they failed after I put mine in and theirs worked great also and still with the long start time. They said the car is only holding up to 9psi for fuel at the check valve and it’s back and needed to be replaced.

That’s tough to understand because they said it was in the hanger where then check valve is and the fuel pumps all work but the long start times are still being consistent and it wasn’t something they could fix without a replacement hanger. Is Thera separate pump in the hanger they are referring to that the check valve is in that is separate from the fuel pump itself? Because the fuel pumps that have been installed and all worked great with no issue but they still had the long start time with only 9psi. So the pump they installed they took out and left mine which was already new and good and said the hanger needed replacement for where the valve is located but you can’t(couldn’t get that part itself) to replace in my current hanger.

As in you can shut the car off and turn it right back on and it will have extended crank time?

Or it only has an extending crank time after sitting?

9psi while running?

-Daniel

It will start it with the extended start time every time, shut it off and it’ll still have the extended start time. You can drive it and then park it like to go in the store or something and let it sit for a few minutes and it’ll have the extended start time again. Every now and again if your quick with turning it off and on it won’t have the extended start time but majority of the time it takes a long time to start.

This sounds more like a failing fuel pressure regulator which is mounted on the end of the fuel rail or a clogged fuel filter.

-Daniel

No worries for the confusion. That’s why I’m asking LOL.

I thought that also and they said they tested those as well and it all checked out great!

I wish I had knew somebody who lived near me that could help take a look that knows these cars way better and could.

I just looked at the paper they gave me of their diagnosis and say when the car cranks, the fuel pressure is at 0psi, slowly climbs to 30psi and that after cranking it continually to try and start the car. It also said the fuel pump was only receiving 9 volts.

Does this help in what I’m describing by chance?

Yeah. You have fuel pressure problem. The pump should be seeing more than 9 bolts which could very well be some of the issue.

Did they happen to say what the pressure was while it was running?

-Daniel

The alternator, battery and starter are all new. So there is should be sufficient power which they tested also to be working properly as well.

I’m stumped on what they are saying needs replacing then. When they’ve tested everything and said it’s all good and working properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back