The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with goal, i can get 20g cheap but should i?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race94

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2003
Puerto_Rico
Well,
i have a 1995 GST, my goal, low to mid 13's constantly.
I won't be doing too much track just want power in hand for when i go.
I was considering a 16g since i'm not much about cars, i'm just looking to bolt-on parts, tune and leave it at that not go for more than i can achieve without harm or breaking. Thing is i am being sold a 20g turbo w/18k, it has minor shaft play but no leaks etc., Should i get this instead of the 16g? it's about the same price as a new 16g, $450. Would this turbo help me achieve my goal better? faster? more reliable?

Also will the supporting mods be a whole lot different?
Can i just unbolt my 14b and put in the 20g with boost down? yes i do have a 14b.

Thanks

If your plans were to go with a 16g then follow through with them...
When 20g's go wrong they really go wrong, and though they are awesome turbo's I haven't seen one last to long. Low 13's can be had on either turbo.

I woudl suggest keeping it simple and on track. A new 16g will suit you much better IMO. I think you shoudl leave the 14b on there and max it out first before you upgrade if you plan to do so. Get your injectors, afc (or w/e) fmic...etc and max the hell out of the 14b. if you are close to satisfied with that performance and want a smiggin' more, than get yoru 16g and be happy (cause it wont be to much of a jump).

If you aren't satisfied at all then you will know you will want more than a 16g. Then woudl be the time to consider a larger turbo. Good luck,

hmm good point i should max out the 14b first, thing is if i am not please with the 16g getting another turbo will be much trouble.

Are 20g's bad??
The seller said it boosts around 2,800 rpm and pulls all the way to 7,800-8,000.
Are they unrealiable, meaning they break often?

So they difference between a 14b and a big/evo 16g ain't that much???

Originally posted by Race94

Are 20g's bad??
The seller said it boosts around 2,800 rpm and pulls all the way to 7,800-8,000.

No issues with mine yet *knock on wood*, but that spool up RPM is utter bullshit. Try 35-3800.

I have a small 16g and im very happy w/ it. If you are looking to run mid 13s consistently and thats it, why not just go 16g. The pull is great, and it spools right around 2800rpms.

You figure a 16g surrounded by all the supporting mods (AND NICE TIRES, if not radials) you should get there quite easily. Save a little money, tune the car w/ the 16g and be done w/ it.

thing is if i am not please with the 16g getting another turbo will be much trouble.

Thats why you shoudl max out the 14b first. I was pulling 106mph traps on my 14b at only 15psi with supporting mods in a fully loaded awd. There are tond of people who do better too.... The 14b is an awesome turbo and will get you mid 13's if supported properly and driven well: quite easily.

Are 20g's bad?? The seller said it boosts around 2,800 rpm and pulls all the way to 7,800-8,000.

They are not bad at all. They are awesome turbo's... From my experience they do not last as long as 14b/16g's (durability wise). So my point was that buying a 20g with shaft play and (from what the seller says) 18k miles (don't forget to account for the official used turbo miles add-on ;) ) may not be the best idea in your case. And Lando is right about the 20g. Depending on what kind you go with, ported/clipeed...etc you'll prolly see good boost levels around 3300-3800 rpm.

So they difference between a 14b and a big/evo 16g ain't that much???

above about 15psi there is noticable difference. But you could obtain your gaols with a well settup 14b...if you don't and you aer close, then the 16g will most likely do it for you.

This is somewhat of a newbie question but, does the 20G have more problems becasue of a design flaw or becasue they tend to be pushed harder than the others. I have heard a few vendors say that it is the most reuilt turbo they had. Most people run them super hard and push a shit load of boost. Just a question, becasue I have one and am waiting on some more parts then I can install it.

Michael
:laser: :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back