The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valvetrain Grinding When Started!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoneandonlyg

Proven Member
Mar 13, 2013
Ludlow, Massachusetts
so after losing compression in cylinder four, i decided to do the work myself. i replaced all the valves, valve stem seals, valve springs in my head. then i put everything back into place. i started the car, and can hear a consistent grinding noise coming from my valvetrain. does anyone have any suggestions for me? i know i will begin with taking the valve cover off, to look at cam caps and then take the timing(which was perfectly timed! WTF) apart to check the cam journals. i was just curious whether anyone had this same issue before or would be able to tell me off hand what they think it is?

the only things i can think of are: 1. headgasket is incorrectly lined up, which i'm pretty positive it isn't since it sits on those pins. 2. incorrect cam caps to journals somehow? 3. clogged oil hole in the cam journal.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

If the caps are facing the wrong way or out of order, First it would have been a PITA to turn the crank over by hand when you checked timing marks.

If one cap is mixed up some how, it will be a darker color than the rest.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back