The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Morrison Fabrications New Product: IWG Xona Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisonFab

Supporting Vendor
May 28, 2017
Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Being able to fit a TiAL Sport/Xona Rotor internally wastegated (IWG) turbo in nearly every DSM/Evo1-3/GVR4/CSM engine bay was exciting, but to also have an IWG setup without needing to relocate the alternator or oil filter has us pretty thrilled. We've had our eye on their IWG housing for a long time since it has an inconel diffuser/sleeve at the turbine outlet to smoothly rejoin the wastegated/bypassed exhaust, an IWG port sized between a 38mm MVS and 44mm MVR, and was overall designed to bypass a large portion of exhaust when needed. And, of course, their scrutinized dimensions all around that allowed us to clear all the various mounts/brackets as-is. We went in determined to make it work, even if it was for limited applications, but it all fit beautifully. Even allows just enough room for a nice puller fan with the larger X3C cover on our Colt (verified nearly identical radiator space as Evo 1-3). 1g and 2g DSMs will have even more room since the design was based off our "compact" manifolds meant to tuck everything close and clear tighter engine bays. Not having to relocate the alternator means AC can be retained, and it passes the oil filter test so it can be spun on and off with everything else in place.

If you’re looking for extra low boost, or to get every last psi from the compressor, then an externally wastegated setup may still be better suited; but within the boost range the turbos already like to be in, the TiAL IWG housing is perfect for people looking for a simplified, extremely well packaged and already recirculated setup to keep the exhaust more subtle under full boost. Plus, even with the pricier IWG housing, it ends up being ~$200-400 less overall vs an external setup.

The entire setup, including turbo with package pricing, can be purchased directly through us, and allows us to install all IWG components so it's ready to drop in.

The gist of it:
-Maintains all OEM accessories such as A/C, alternator in the factory location, power steering, and still spin the oil filter on and off.
-Efficiently supports 800whp+ and ideal for the entire IWG Xona line of turbos, from the XR 4948 to the XR 8264S.
-Uses small primary runners to aid in quick spool, transient response, and aggressive midrange.
-Gains of 50 ft-lbs. of torque throughout the midrange power curve are not uncommon and well suited for spooling an auto car or transient response between shifts.
-All fitment done with the with the X3C compressor cover, more room available with the X2C.
-Fits Evo 1-3, Galant VR4, 1g, 2g, 6 bolt, and 7 bolt. The main puller fan must be a slim fan on Early Evo and Galant VR-4’s/Colts/Mirage.
DSMs will have lots of radiator/fan room, with 2g’s able to fit the OEM main fan.
-Galant VR-4’s will require a different lower intercooler/charge pipe routing since this manifold wasn’t designed for the “over the top” OEM style charge pipe routing above the exhaust manifold.
-Equal length runners and a proper small volume merge collector.
-321 Stainless, 100% fully backpurged.

Cheers,
Annika and Matt

Manifold only: http://morrisonfabrications.com/product/compact-iwg-xona-v-band/

Manifold and hot parts: http://morrisonfabrications.com/product/dsm-evo-1-3-compact-iwg-xona-hot-parts/

If you've seen the dyno results of the FP manifold vs their DSM replacement manifold (and cost is of minimal concern), it's a no-brainer of a decision...and it LOOKS way better.
I have seen that post! If I come across $1,400 or a used one I might just have to pick that up.

Last edited:
Hell yeah IWG. Anyone have a dyno of these IWG turbos?
We've seen some for Audi and VW but not sure of any other instance of an IWG Xona in a DSM. The housing itself is identical as far as the actual volute/scroll is concerned, which have really shined in the smaller A/R housings particularly on our application. Someone who has been doing a lot of testing (not IWG) local to us on a 9569S in the smaller .6x A/R housing is easily maxing out compressor flow and barely above 1:1 drive pressure ratio at 9000rpm and 40psi+ of boost. Which is why we are pretty confident in recommending the smaller A/R housings in the 64S and smaller IWG offerings. Also some really astounding results so far in the same runner sized used in here, but will keep that until more concrete testing is done.
The o2 housing seems really close to the alternator. Is it further away than the pictures show?
It often looks closer to the alternator (and oil filter) in photos, but is closer than usual so a heat shield or similar isn't be a bad idea there.

Appreciate all the kind words! :) We keep saying it but just really excited about how it all worked out and could barely wait to share it.

We've had folks asking about total package pricing and thought it'd be good to share:

Like many of the Xona products, the hot parts/turbo are -$200 off if the turbo is purchased with it, and we include the $240 IWG components (MVI/bracket/linkage/hardware) as well.
So the complete package price- Xona turbo, IWG housing/components, and manifold/hot parts ends up around $3700-4200 depending on the turbo size.

If you add up a typical hot parts/external wastegate/turbo setup, you can see how well it works out :)

The 5451S might be a good time, but finding any information about the smaller turbos in the line is nearly impossible.
Do you have much experience with the new Garrett G-series turbos? They look tiny, which should help the downpipe clearance. How would a IWG G25-550 or G25-660 package up in the tighter engine bays, do you think?

The 5451S might be a good time, but finding any information about the smaller turbos in the line is nearly impossible.
Do you have much experience with the new Garrett G-series turbos? They look tiny, which should help the downpipe clearance. How would a IWG G25-550 or G25-660 package up in the tighter engine bays, do you think?
Most 4g63 folks sway towards the larger side of the lineup, but the more modestly sized turbos are really interesting. All the maps exceed their flow ratings by a good amount across the board, with each one actually flowing like the next size up.
Hoping to see more people explore the smaller Xona lineup, and the results when they do, with IWG pricing already making it a very viable option cost wise.

We've made quite a few setups around the new G series but unfortunately most of the client's builds aren't finished yet. The G series offer a nice divided T4 option with many going that route as well as multiple v-band setups.
For standard/external, the Xona is actually a little more compact than the Garrett as far as flange locations/centerlines and downpipe room, and the X2C Xona compressor cover is a very similar size to the G25 cover. Physically they are fairly close to fitting in the same areas, so a similar approach could likely make the G series IWG option clear the alternator and oil filter just like the Xona (we haven't had an IWG G-series here to see but would be happy to make it happen). Maybe a little easier since the IWG outlet flange on the G series is the same smaller "3 inch" flange to make the downpipe bend. We came up with a slick solution on the larger Xona outlet if you look close ;)

However, the wastegate actuator/bracket etc on the Garrett is out towards the radiator like your EFR was (and most other IWG options) and either won't allow much room for a puller fan or not clear an Evo1-3 radiator altogether.

The Xona's neatly tucked IWG components and inconel diffuser where exhaust mixes back in make for some really nice features :)

Thanks for this. The actual Evo OFH likely has more clearance to the downpipe than what you use for mock-up without the cooler attachment, so that heat issue might be overblown for us. A shield for the alternator would be desirable to keep it alive the longest, though.

I like the idea of a Xona IWG, but it’s got a lot of good competition. For the 4951S, it just makes sense to get it in the TD05 housing. The 5757S, same goes for the 73HTZ 57S Green. I suspect the 5451S is a happy medium for ~400 on pump but FP has so many variables that there’s no way to know how it responds and performs based on FP54 data. Maybe it’s a lag monster like the v2 HTA for all we know. The G25 is a known sledgehammer in small sizes, maybe EWG is the answer there. We need more people sharing how they’re doing with these small turbos, I know they’re out there.

I love my EFR kit to death, but I decided too late not to touch the radiator, alternator, power steering and OFH position and everything else that comes with a 500+ setup. EFRs just don’t play nice on the little Evo.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. The actual Evo OFH likely has more clearance to the downpipe than what you use for mock-up without the cooler attachment, so that heat issue might be overblown for us. A shield for the alternator would be desirable to keep it alive the longest, though.

I like the idea of a Xona IWG, but it’s got a lot of good competition. For the 4951S, it just makes sense to get it in the TD05 housing. The 5757S, same goes for the 73HTZ 57S Green. I suspect the 5451S is a happy medium for ~400 on pump but FP has so many variables that there’s no way to know how it responds and performs based on FP54 data. Maybe it’s a lag monster like the v2 HTA for all we know. The G25 is a known sledgehammer in small sizes, maybe EWG is the answer there. We need more people sharing how they’re doing with these small turbos, I know they’re out there.

I love my EFR kit to death, but I decided too late not to touch the radiator, alternator, power steering and OFH position and everything else that comes with a 500+ setup. EFRs just don’t play nice on the little Evo.

The Mitsu oil filter housings tend to offset any room that would otherwise be saved without the sandwich cooler, which is unfortunate, so it likely has the filter in the same spot but we haven't had the Evo 3 housing in our hands to say for sure.

That's a good point about UHF Xona Rotor groups being much more accessible stuffed into an MHI IWG package like the FP UHF green or red, especially if you're only looking for the turbo itself and using a cast manifold and O2 housing.
Our perspective was when looking at a manifold and turbo to begin with and stepping outside of the stock frame stuff, and still surprising how close an IWG Xona v-band package ends up vs a stock frame manifold/turbo/downpipe when making things more comparable efficiency and performance wise. Lots of options :)

We are interpreting it correctly that the G25 has been working really well for its size?

The Mitsu oil filter housings tend to offset any room that would otherwise be saved without the sandwich cooler, which is unfortunate, so it likely has the filter in the same spot but we haven't had the Evo 3 housing in our hands to say for sure.

That's a good point about UHF Xona Rotor groups being much more accessible stuffed into an MHI IWG package like the FP UHF green or red, especially if you're only looking for the turbo itself and using a cast manifold and O2 housing.
Our perspective was when looking at a manifold and turbo to begin with and stepping outside of the stock frame stuff, and still surprising how close an IWG Xona v-band package ends up vs a stock frame manifold/turbo/downpipe when making things more comparable efficiency and performance wise. Lots of options :)

We are interpreting it correctly that the G25 has been working really well for its size?
I see the logic behind people using stock stuff for the smaller turbos and getting bigger turbos for pieces they have fabricated, it makes sense. I don’t know enough to guess what the 5757S on a vband setup would do against the equivalent Green on a cast manifold, though. That would be an interesting test if anyone did want to carry it out. Anything that isn’t a drag car or US street car would be better suited to pushing a small turbo hard, so there is definitely value in maximizing them.

For the Garrett, just going by the SpeedAcademy video in which the G25-550 out-spooled the Gen 2 GTX3071R by 700 RPM while making nearly identical peak numbers at the same boost level (I think it was around 17 psi?) on an SR20. The G-series turbines are light with the proprietary material, I don’t know what would get going faster than it. The GTX3071R would’ve made more with the boost cranked up all the way, but the G25-550 is the answer to 400-425hp on 91 octane to me.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back