The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Fuel Sender Orientation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Modesto, California
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my fuel gage improperly reading my fuel levels in my fuel tank. I have a a 1999 Eclipse GSX so AWD. Ever since I installed my new walbro fuel pump, the fuel gauge won't read anything for fuel even though I've put gas in the fuel tank. I know there has to be a proper way that the whole fuel pump hanger/sender has to be sitting in order for the floater to actually be properly reading or not caught? I've read that the 2g has some markings in order to make sure the sending unit is orientated correctly but anyone have reference pics? This is KILLING me!

Thank you!

If you set it down in the tank and twist the assembly side to side you will feel the float hit the sides. You want it in the middle where it twists freely. Mine was bound up from the previous owner when I bought the car and would not go below 1/4 tank. It took me 6 years to figure that out haha

If you set it down in the tank and twist the assembly side to side you will feel the float hit the sides. You want it in the middle where it twists freely. Mine was bound up from the previous owner when I bought the car and would not go below 1/4 tank. It took me 6 years to figure that out haha

Hah OMG thank you. That breaks it down pretty easy for me. I just found out a have a major leak which is causing a bad fuel smell. I thought it was the o-ring in the feed tube which I JUST replaced but upon further investigation I found out I ripped the fuel tank sending unit gasket =( but at least I KNOW what it is. Thanks again!

I might need to check that out on mine. Most of the time my fuel light comes on when the gauge reaches 1/4 left. On occasion it'll come on after it hits empty on the gauge. I had a leak a month or so ago that was caused by the ring not being fully tight. So the previous owner had to have done that since that was the first time I looked at the tank on this car. Also found one of the hard lines slightly twisted like someone couldn't loosen the fitting.

Holy sh1t. That explains why my old 2g would read low all the time

Holy sh1t. That explains why my old 2g would read low all the time

I might need to check that out on mine. Most of the time my fuel light comes on when the gauge reaches 1/4 left. On occasion it'll come on after it hits empty on the gauge. I had a leak a month or so ago that was caused by the ring not being fully tight. So the previous owner had to have done that since that was the first time I looked at the tank on this car. Also found one of the hard lines slightly twisted like someone couldn't loosen the fitting.

The hard feed line is notorious for being a PITA to get off the first time. If you are not careful you can snap it off. I have had some 2g's that it was easier to disconnect the line under the car instead of taking the sending unit end off. Seafoam deep creep is your friend here.

I assumed all that time that my sending unit was bad because I had pulled it out and reinstalled it and nothing changed. Would read fine to 1/4 tank, and then stopped. Come to find out that the previous owner had cut the rubber line (it was either the return line or the siphon line, I can't remember) to get it off and instead of putting on a new rubber hose he just twisted the sending unit to make it reach the sending unit. Who knew.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back