The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

California Law Smoked Tailights Illegal!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiuchimu

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2008
Sylmar, California
Just got a ticket. Argued with cop but here is final verdict:

California Law
1) Tail lamps must be red and easily visible from 500 ft behind. For cars newer than 1969, red and visible from 1000 ft behind.

2) Tail lamp units can not be modified unless modification is D.O.T. certified.

Just a heads up. Unless someone has actually fought the courts and won.

Pretty sure that's how it goes by me as well.
Being able to see people's brake lights is a good thing though

I don't claim to know the facts but there is talk of how you can meet those requirements so long as the lamps still hold their reflective capacity for when they're turned off in the daylight. So by that logic you'd need a certain vehicle, and a DSM is not it. Mustangs, however, do have a small section built into the shape of the brake lights for the reverse light. It also serves as a reflector so, in theory - if you buy into that, she is safe. She still gets hassled for it on a weekly basis.

I often tell my coworkers with jet black tint, and even blacker tail lights that they'll soon be sorry for wasting their money on the "cool new thing that everyone is doing".

Here's the word, straight from the man:
V.C. Section 24600 - Taillamps

Headlight, tailight mods have always been illegal in any state. They do look really sweet when finished, but it does hinder the ability for others to see your lights. The only gain is that it looks cool, but most of the function is gone..
Can you really mod them and have D.O.T certify them again?

Headlight, tailight mods have always been illegal in any state. They do look really sweet when finished, but it does hinder the ability for others to see your lights. The only gain is that it looks cool, but most of the function is gone..
Can you really mod them and have D.O.T certify them again?

Says the person who painted the reflective part of the headlights black. :tease:

Ive been pulled over for my smoked tails two times, both let me go because I explained my car is rare.........

I sprayed my tails with a little black lacquer and a few coats of clear ontop of that. They look dark, almost black but you can easilly see the reflectors and in good sunlight they still seem a little reddish. With the taillights on you can't even tell really. I've never been pulled over for the tails. It helps leaving them on whenever you drive if you're really worried about it getting you pulled over.

fix its are 25$........

Actually, here in CA it was $50

Like this:
$25 for inspection fee. I heard of free inspection but couldn't find any
$15 court processing fee
$10 some other court fee which made no sense.

Conclusion, A fix-it ticket is now just another pay ticket but worst because you have to take a day getting your car inspected.:sneaky:

in california they also banned race gas for on-road purposes and if anyone is to get caught(don't know how they would know) the SURPLIER AND THE DRIVER get have to pay a hefty fine. Seems to me that California is making just to strick of laws now a days. I don't know who is making these dumb laws but they need to stop.

I got a slammed 300E Mercedes with smoked tail lights, headlights, and side marker lights LOL good thing it doesn't see to much street duty these days.

My tail lights are completely blacked out and I've been pulled over numerous times and have only gotten warnings. Blacked out tail lights are very common in alaska though

^^^ because if you remember in your driving handbook, DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT. LOL

If you notice most online stores that sell aftermarket parts are advertising less and less "BLACKED OUT SMOKED" lights, now easier to get on ebay. so they wont be liable.

But there is a difference on a few, there are some that are tinted and there are the blacked out smoked ones. The latter is obviously the more risky ones.

I used VHT nightshade on my tails, they look very dark, almost completely black until the sun reflects on them, then you can see a good red tint, and at night you can't even tell their tinted. Surprisingly tho, even with my luck i haven't been pulled over yet... in fact, i haven't been pulled over at all since i sold my ### Mother $#@!$&% piece of $%&! Ricer Honda and bought a DSM... must mean something LOL :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back