The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

IMG_7278.jpeg

1990 Plymouth laser turbo

The car is in its original factory blue color but it’s rough shape and has seen better days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got the motor pulled out on April 3rd and haven’t had the time to get it on an engine stand quite yet. But hopefully this weekend I can start wrenching on it again and start to see the failure point on this thing after taking it all apart.
It was an all day project but it was definitely a learning experience for me.

Attachments

So I got to work in the car last Friday and was able to start the process of taking it down to the bare block. Something I noticed was that when I tried putting it to tdc the oil pump gear was a spline or two off. Didn’t get a picture but definitely thought it was odd.
I was able to get the head off the block and saw that my head gasket was covered in oil. I took a couple pictures of the inside of the block but this Friday I’m gonna take the rods out and inspect the bearings and hope there isn’t any terrible damage. And get myself some micrometers to start measuring my clearances and see what it needs when I take it to a machine shop soon.
Don’t know if the pistons are oem so any thoughts of the condition of the cylinder walls and pistons would be helpful!

Attachments

So I was able to remove the pistons and found out that a piston ring in clylinder 1 made contact because it want gapped properly and cracked the piston and popped a piece of material off of it. It caused a ton of crankcase pressure which was eventually going to destroy all my seals and eventually the motor.
looking at the bearing material, crankshaft, and cylinder walls everything looked pretty good. I checked my crankshaft play to see if it was walking anytime soon and it was in spec.
I was also able to see that my valve stem seals are bad so that was a big cause of my oil burning issue.
I’m going to measure everything using my micrometers and dial bore gauge to make sure nothing is out of round and in tolerance. Hopwfully all the engine needs is a hone, and polish with the crankshaft. Still tons of measuring is needed ensure nothing is out of spec but everything is looking good so far.

Attachments

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

• For sale 4G63 Brake booster/pedal assembly
    2G manual pedal assembly clutch,brake and gas $752G brake booster/master $35 (Will fit 1G as...
    • Dsm_canadian_mike
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 MHI EVO 3 16g Turbo
    MHI Evo 3 16g Turbo $235 + shipping and paypal fees* I priced this cheap as it is setup for an...
    • jersygsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted 2g Looking for a 2G GS-T rolling shell
    Looking for a rolling shell near Sc to Va
    • Ducxy
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 1990 eagle talon partout
    Parts are coming off, lmk what you want. Prices are negotiable. I can bundle the roller with...
    • El_marto
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 6 bolt short block .020 Wiseco/Crower rods
    6bolt .020 over, Wiseco pistons Crower rods
    • ky90gsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back