The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

WTB 2g 4g63 turbo motor (7-bolt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowltyde205

Probationary Member
Dec 17, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hey guys, bought a '99 GST about 3 months ago, but I found out the hard way that it wasn't taken care of... now I'm trying to find a motor ASAP. Probably will have to have it shipped, because I'm obviously car-less. please PM me if you have one, or you know someone willing to sell one. Would like to know the compression, and whether the the head gasket and water pump have been replaced. Don't care too much about miles, but I'd say 150k is pushing it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Btw, I'm located in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated. Been car-less for a month, and getting to class and work sucks right now...

Well, it's at my mechanic's shop, and I'm not talented enough to rebuild myself. At first he said the head was warped... but I really didn't have a single problem or warning signs until it just overheated and had oil and coolant boiling out of the reservoir tank. The mechanic said there was a noise on the bottom end so he suggested a new motor since it wasn't taken care of. I was gonna suggest a rebuild, but I would still need a new head, and that would be too expensive. More so than buying a new engine. I'm lost basically haha.

I take it that finding a motor is going to be a bit harder then I thought... please folks... any advice/suggestions would be a lot of help.

Well, it's at my mechanic's shop, and I'm not talented enough to rebuild myself. At first he said the head was warped... but I really didn't have a single problem or warning signs until it just overheated and had oil and coolant boiling out of the reservoir tank. The mechanic said there was a noise on the bottom end so he suggested a new motor since it wasn't taken care of. I was gonna suggest a rebuild, but I would still need a new head, and that would be too expensive. More so than buying a new engine. I'm lost basically haha.

Take the rod caps off and confirm the condition of the bearings yourself. If the head was good until it warped, just have it shaved and tested. Should be about $50-75.

Best case scenario, the bearings are good and you need just seals, head gasket, and have the head shaved. Worst case scenario, crank, rods, and the previously mentioned parts.

I got a good 7 bolt bottom end I'll ship to you. I just built a 6 bolt and used my head. I'll ship it to you if you're interested.

Thanks a bunch. I'll try and leave that as an option. If my head wasn't warped, I would definitely buy it right away...

Take the rod caps off and confirm the condition of the bearings yourself. If the head was good until it warped, just have it shaved and tested. Should be about $50-75.

Best case scenario, the bearings are good and you need just seals, head gasket, and have the head shaved. Worst case scenario, crank, rods, and the previously mentioned parts.

I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow and see about tearing her down. He suggested the new head because he said the cost of machining and replacing the gasket would be about the same as a new head. I need to go back there and look at it myself. I just don't understand how fast that engine went to crap, I mean it ran perfect from Tuscaloosa to Nashville and back, then BOOM... if anything, I could just keep that engine and build it... slowly.

I should have taken it to the tuner shop here... at least they are familiar with my engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back