The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Where is the inhibitor switch to jump the neutral safety switch...Please!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankin2G

Probationary Member
Feb 15, 2005
Offutt, Kentucky
Please help..I did an a/t to m/t swap and I cannot get my car started...I have had the link http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html a million times, but that is a 1G and I have a 2G....different! I need to know where the inhibitor switch is, and the wires to jump...I would really like to be back on the road...insurance and car payments don't sound too fun if I can't drive the car...LOL Any help is appreciated...

-Joel-

Hello friends... I am just about done with my auto to manual conversion on my 2G GSX!!! The road has been very simple and straight forward except for this second and final bump in the road...to jump the starter inhibitor switch. Does anyone have any direction (better yet....PICTURES haha) as to what pins I am to jump to make my car think it is in neutral or park so that my starter circuit will activate? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I have seen some take the shortcut of wiring the starter directly to the ignition and going this route but I want to jump the inhibitor switch instead of cutting wires and stuff. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

P.S. The first bump was having one of my rear differential subfram bushings go bad and having to replace it...with the help of my DSM friends....Zeppelin, Mikeemike, Sleeper142 and Rinker777...several solutions were made available. I am going with Energy Suspension part number 30.6010, 2" O.D. inserts. I will let you know how I make out.

probably the PRNDL wire.. I really dont have pictures from a dsm, but usually its one of the wires coming from the wiring on the tranny

we did this on a 90 240sx we converted to 5spd from auto...

JessesTalon said:
probably the PRNDL wire.. I really dont have pictures from a dsm, but usually its one of the wires coming from the wiring on the tranny

we did this on a 90 240sx we converted to 5spd from auto...

Thanks for your quick response!!! I definitely have the right harness, it is the harness that you mentioned. I am just unsure of which wires to jump. Do you happen to know the name of them? Is it the park and a ground wire or something along those lines? Thanks!

Oh!!! How did you get your reverse brake lights to work? I am figuring I am going to have to jump the reverse light switch to the reverse wire on the PRNDL harness mentioned above. Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

I also need to know where this wire is loated, I have searhed every harness in the engine bay and cannot find the wires I have been told to look for and researched. Sipposedly two black wires with yellow stripes need jumpered for neutral safety, a blak w red stripe and silver dash for brakes and light blue for reverse.

Any pics or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, have been working on this for several hours just looking and trying wires with no luck.

Thanks for any help guys,
Jarod

Hello, how's it going? So I am just about done my auto to manual transmission swap and I need some help with the wiring:

Vehicle: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Before I start making any jumps to the inhibitor switch to get the car starting and the reverse lights working....I wanted to double check because I have read soo many different stories on the net....so when you look at the inhibitor switch on my 1997 Eclipse GSX with the pin-holes facing you, you see the following:

_____
| Clip |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.[Blk/Yel Stripe] 2.[Blu/Red Stripe] 3.[Red/Blu Stripe] 4.[Empty]

5.[Blk/Red Stripe] 6.[Solid Blk] 7.[Big Blk/Whi Stripe] 8.[Big Red/Blu Stripe]

9.[Whi/Blk Stripe] 10.[Yel/Blk Stripe] 11.[Solid Yel] 12.[Yel /Red Stripe]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: Each and every single one of these wires have the silver dashes on them
*Also: Wires 7.[Big Blk/Whi Stripe] and 8.[Big Red/Blu Stripe] are a larger gauge wire
than the rest

#1: So what wires do I need to connect to get the car started? Also, I want to remove the clutch pedal switch to allow the car to start without the clutch depressed? Will I need to do additional wiring for this?

#2: Also, what wires do I need to connect from the reverse light switch to the inhibitor to get the reverse lights working?

I have read information on 1G's but the inhibitor switch is much different so that really hasn't helped me. I have also seen posts from other members but one person says to jump one thing and the next person says something different. Does anyone have this done and working? Any pictures or wiring diagrams will be extremely helpful! Thanks!!!

I am doing this project as well and I can tell you this:

On the big plug with 12 pins you want to solder:

-Small solid black wire

-TO-

-Small Black w/ red stripe

That will get your inhibitor taken care of.

To be honest I would like to see what other people have done for the back-up light as well.

Hope this helps!

Nick
F1dyno.com

With the switch facing you its the 2 wires on the far right and far left in the middle colum both black...

as for the reverse lights...yea i dont have them :(

But has anyone read anything about cruise controll..?

thanx
Jesse

theSicKness said:
With the switch facing you its the 2 wires on the far right and far left in the middle colum both black...

as for the reverse lights...yea i dont have them :(

But has anyone read anything about cruise controll..?

thanx
Jesse

In the 95 I am working on it was the two most left middle wires looking in at the pins. Of course this car was an A/T FWD and is now Manual AWD...

sorry to bring up such an old thread but i have been non stop searching for a picture or some words telling me wich wires to cross on the prndl harness to start the car i crossed the two black and yellow ones but that didnt do anything help woudl be greatly appreciated thanks

According to my 99 Mitsu manual the NT black/yellow wires are connected together (and to the starter relay and PCM pin 76) and are grounded by the transaxel range switch when in P or N.

look for the gear selector on the tranny where your shifter cable bolts to ,its the black and yellow wires on the plug that plugs into the gear selector

Also, if you want your reverse lights to work, get a plug that fits into the m/t reverse sensor and wire the two wires to pins 5 and 6 of the big trans connector(the one where you need to jump the park nuetral safety switch.)

Don't know if this will cause any problems or not but ECU pin 91 is grounded on a M/T but on a A/T pin 91 goes to starter relay pin 2 and 3 (black/red wire which is ignition system start power). Just thought you might want to know in case you have unexplaned problems.

wow so much really good info thanks so much guys!! so here is what i have noticed the black and yellow wire going to the starter i followed it as far as i could and it just dissapears even on wiki answers some guy lost the little black and yellow wire coming from the starter i dont know where it leads to i was assuming the starter relay so i did an ohm test to see if its the same wire and i didnt read anything . i also did a voltage test on the range plug im assuming its called the one that i need to cross and the one of the black and yellow wires is hot but only with 8.88 volts
then when the key is turned to start the car it jumpst to 12.4 or whatever the battery is at so full voltage so i was thinking that was coming from the relay and the other black and yellow wire on that plug i thought went to the starter but i did an ohm test there too and nothing i think what i need to find out is how to get the 8.8-12.4 wire to somehow reach the starter..is this right?luv where are u getting this information about pin numbers i would really like to see the chart

Attachments

• DVC00340.jpg
    DVC00340.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 560
Sorry, the 2 black/yellow don't connect together - I was so tired when I said that I didn't realize I was looking on the wrong page. Assuming you have a NT harness for AT, the black/yellow on the starter goes to pin 5 of the starter relay. The black/yellow on the transaxel range switch goes to pin 1 of the starter relay and to pin 76 of the PCM.
Also the other post about ECU pin 91 is for the turbo ECU (not NT PCM).
My info is from the 99 Mitsubishi real factory manual.

thanks so much for the help you fit your description wise man but i finaly got it last night i was thinking in my head and i realized the 8.88-12.4 wire on the harness just needed to be grounded so i crossed it with the ground wire on the same harness and now my car runs LOL:D:rocks:ROFLROFLROFLROFL once again thanks everyone for all the ideas and help

Yes the range switch just grounds that black/yellow (one on it's pin 5) when in P or N. This completes the circuit (to ground) for the starter relay to activate it (ignition Start switch supplies +12v on other side of relay). Without it grounded and key to Start you then get 12.4v since you're just reading the voltage on the other side of the relay through the relay which is forced to be 12.4v. Without it grounded and key not to Start that wire is floating and so you read whatever it happens to float to (8.88 is your case) since something else is also on that wire (PCM pin 76 which has an internal voltage divider).

hello again.... im thinking of running some wires from that jumper switch to the inside of my car kind of like a "kill switch" and i was wondering since the car needs to be in p or n to complete the starter circuit does it need to be in d to think its going foward?? does that make sense??

Ok so before I start, I do not want to hear the “use the search” everyone and their brother feels they have to say. I’m here because I’ve “used the search”. I also do not want to see any links to the 420a swap that everyone seems to want to refer too. It’s not the correct swap. I’m frustrated with how Much BS is out there and how nobody can seem to give a real answer, yet everyone has done this swap and it’s worked for them. I’ll get right to the point. I have a 97 Eclipse gsx. It was originally an auto and I have swapped everything over to a manual from the same year. I went through every thread I could find and it seems everyone has a different approach to what works. Yet my car won’t start. I have trying jumping the NSS pins to no avail. Please someone with some sense, show me some actual pics of what to connect. I don’t want to see an electrical diagram of some switch that I can’t identify. I’m not an electrician. Again, this is a 1997 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GSX. It’s the all wheel drive model with the 4g63t. Not a 420a auto. Sorry in advance if I sound brash. I’m at wits end with people saying to splice this and ground this. These forums are supposed to help people, not belittle them by saying “search and you’ll get your answer”.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back