1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Where can I get an FCD?

Posted by cowmilker69, Aug 24, 2018

Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. cowmilker69

cowmilker69 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    Mississauga, ON, Canada
    Hey all. So I just recently boosted my 99 eclipse 420a, and I obviously need something to prevent fuel cut as you guys all probably know already. I was not keen on getting the Missing Link due to the potential troubles it can bring. I wanted to get the Symtech Labs FCD but unfortunately EVERYTHING on their website is out of stock(what?). I don't know if its a glitch on the site but I can't get a hold of them. They have no telephone and they haven't answered any of my numerous emails. Anyone know what is up with these guys? Does anyone have a FCD they can sell me or know of another source to get one? If the Symtech Labs FCD is out of the question, would the Turbosmart or HKS one be a sufficient substitute? It costs a lot more than the Symtech labs one so I kinda don't want to go there but I will if need be.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Symtech has been out of business for a number of years now.

As for a replacement, I never really looked because I’m running MS.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T

Street Build

20g   manual
    dark_kid_racing likes this.
  3. cowmilker69

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    Mississauga, ON, Canada
    Aww shieeett. Well thanks for the reply. Us 420a guys are losing alot of our part sources eh :(

Could someone else that's doing a light "8 lb" build shed some light on how I should combat my fuel cut? The only way I see now is either the HKS or Turbosmart FCD's. Has anyone used these and can confirm they work properly with our cars?

EDIT: Before anyone says anything, can someone confirm that a FCD is what I need. Basically the car bogs out and jerks anytime i go full throttle. I can still build boost if I go half throttle, but as soon as I put the pedal to the floor, it bogs/jerks out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  4. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Yeah you need an FCD or a missing link. The missing link is hit or miss though.

Try googling diy FCD. Quite a few resources came up. It’s basically a voltage cap. The turbosmart should work. It’s more expensive cuz of the brand name and also that the voltage cap is tuneable.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T

Street Build

20g   manual
  5. cowmilker69

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    Mississauga, ON, Canada
    Thank you, gonna go with the Turbosmart FCD and pray all goes well :pray:

dsmcrzy likes this.
  6. Dark DSM

Dark DSM Supporting Member

Joined Nov 3, 2003
    Roseville, Michigan
    Keep in mind, this is old school tech now..... Which is why a lot of us are all fancy with Megasquirt. In your case an electronic FCD would work well, which all it is, is a MAP clamp to keep the MAP sensor from seeing the full 5V..... Back when i had that setup, i set mine to max out at 4.7-4.8V

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon N/T

11.234 @ 100.000 MPH
  7. cowmilker69

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    Mississauga, ON, Canada
    I didn't want to resurrect this thread, but I just have to ask one more question. Turbosmart offers a pneumatic FCD and an electronic one. The pneumatic one is a lot cheaper, does anyone have any experience with it? It says it's "to be used in conjunction with the Turbosmart boost controller". Could I still use this even tho I don't have that boost controller?(my boost is controlled by a wastegate spring set at 5 psi)

8. Dark DSM

Dark DSM Supporting Member

Joined Nov 3, 2003
    Roseville, Michigan
    I'm sure you can..... Its job is to keep the MAP from seeing boost pressure, so the PCM doesnt start cutting fuel.

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon N/T

11.234 @ 100.000 MPH