The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

When will the dsm's go up in value??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And your trying to lump 1g, 2g fwd/awd and N/T into the same picture, are YOU serious? I sure am, tons of people prefer the MK3 over the MK4 just as some prefer an 82' Iroc over the 2012 ZL1 (I do), newer doesnt mean better, nor does higher horsepower and more gimmics. And yes the 4g63 is a MUCH more accomplished engine over the 2jz, there are plenty of high mileage examples making close to or more than three times the factory power levels on stock blocks.
Wait wait, you're trying to lump in the MK3 Supra with the MK4 Supra? Are you serious, my dude? Nobody gives a sh** about the MK3 supra? Of course they go for nothing because the Supra to get is the MK4. You might as well lump a 1982 RS V6 Camaro in with a 2012 ZL1. They're both Camaros right?

I do love Supras but I'm not dropping 40k on a toy car. I prefer my cheap DSM, and I am completely content knowing I'll never be the fastest or nicest car in town.

Once again, I'm totally confused by your statements. The 4g63 is more accomplished? The STOCK BLOCK 2JZ record is over a 1000WHP
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The record 2JZ 1/4 mile time is in the 5's.......http://www.2jzpower.com/

Last edited:
And your trying to lump 1g, 2g fwd/awd and N/T into the same picture, are YOU serious? I sure am, tons of people prefer the MK3 over the MK4 just as some prefer an 82' Iroc over the 2012 ZL1 (I do), newer doesnt mean better, nor does higher horsepower and more gimmics. And yes the 4g63 is a MUCH more accomplished engine over the 2jz, there are plenty of high mileage examples making close to or more than three times the factory power levels on stock blocks.
Heres a nice Supra for 22k, so no I wouldnt pay 40k for a toy car either, Ive not known anyone thats paid more than 25k for one ever.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/39754328

The only people that prefer MK3 supras are people who can't afford MK4 Supras. Let me guess, these are the same guys who like fat women instead of thin women?

What exactly has a 4g63 accomplished that a 2jz hasn't? Did you not see anything I posted? Are we basing this discussion on facts at all or just on feelings? HP record-2JZ, 1/4 mile record-2JZ, stock block HP record-2JZ? I mean, this stuff is self explanatory, and I'm not one of these guys that walks around bragging about engines either. It's just reality. I like my car and I love DSMs but I'm not delusional. There's probably 10 1000hp Supras in Houston alone...probably with a/c and full interior that would bury virtually any street DSM on the planet. They're awesome cars.

The very first link I found on google has most supras going for 45K. Very first search on Houston Craigslist has supras going for 40-70k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...8752|&ptaid=kwd-25585508752&pgrid=25397809620

https://houston.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=toyota supra&sort=rel

Last edited:
I'm just happy that I own a 98' Talon tsi awd. I've noticed a bump in selling prices around my area for these cars even in the last 3 years of looking for one!

Realistically, probably never.

Take the Galant VR-4 for example: A limited edition Mitsubishi imported in very small quantities. Yet, over 2 decades later, the dwindling few left still aren't worth a lot. Now, apply this fact to the mass produced DSM platform, and it's safe to say they will never be worth a lot.

That's not a bad thing, IMO. These cars being cheaper than dirt is the reason they have such a following. If you want a car that builds equity, buy a Porsche.

Exactly. I can't think of a better car. Ya sure value is nice, when you put $30,000 in aftermarket parts. The best thing is you have only to spend but let's say $4,000 on a car.

DSM's started in 1990. Period.

And, there is no way production started in 1988. 1990 would have started production in late 1989, being sold as 1990 Model vehicle. Like EVERY automaker on the planet.

Dude sorry you might be a wiseman, but even wisemen are wrong once in a while. The facility was completed in 88, production started at the end of 88, the union signed their contract in 89 when production actually picked up, and by 90 it was in full production. They where building something in that plant in november of 88. According to the numbers available from multiple sources they produced ~2400 cars in 88, and ~2200 of them where e/t/l cars. Where they 90 model years? Test Cars? I can't say I wasn't there. They were building cars in 88 that much is clear.

Dude sorry you might be a wiseman, but even wisemen are wrong once in a while. The facility was completed in 88, production started at the end of 88, the union signed their contract in 89 when production actually picked up, and by 90 it was in full production. They where building something in that plant in november of 88. According to the numbers available from multiple sources they produced ~2400 cars in 88, and ~2200 of them where e/t/l cars. Where they 90 model years? Test Cars? I can't say I wasn't there. They were building cars in 88 that much is clear.

I asked for proof, other than my friends friend said. And I wouldn't take Wikipedia's info as gospel. Other locations/sites, state about union contract/production starting in 89. Which would be typical. Making them 90 MY vehicles.

Realize every vehicle manufacture builds some cars prior to launch. They are non saleable development and validation vehicles. Public can't buy them and they are to be destroyed.

Last edited:
The only people that prefer MK3 supras are people who can't afford MK4 Supras. Let me guess, these are the same guys who like fat women instead of thin women?

What exactly has a 4g63 accomplished that a 2jz hasn't? Did you not see anything I posted? Are we basing this discussion on facts at all or just on feelings? HP record-2JZ, 1/4 mile record-2JZ, stock block HP record-2JZ? I mean, this stuff is self explanatory, and I'm not one of these guys that walks around bragging about engines either. It's just reality. I like my car and I love DSMs but I'm not delusional. There's probably 10 1000hp Supras in Houston alone...probably with a/c and full interior that would bury virtually any street DSM on the planet. They're awesome cars.

The very first link I found on google has most supras going for 45K. Very first search on Houston Craigslist has supras going for 40-70k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...8752|&ptaid=kwd-25585508752&pgrid=25397809620

https://houston.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=toyota supra&sort=rel
Theres also Chevy Vegas selling for 59k if you can find someone dumb enough to pay that, again the Supra can be had for 20k to 25k for a fine example, you just have to look in the right places, how many of those Supras that your looking at actually SOLD for 45k? thats what you have to look at. As far as 1000 hp six cylinder twin turbo cars go, my own 4g63 makes 980hp with two less cylinders, as do plenty of others out there including the 1400hp Magnus Rau car, so the same hp out of a car with two more cylinders? um ya not impressed at all.

I asked for proof, other than my friends friend said. And I wouldn't take Wikipedia's info as gospel. Other locations/sites, state about union contract/production starting in 89. Which would be typical. Making them 90 MY vehicles.

Realize every vehicle manufacture builds some cars prior to launch. They are non saleable development and validation vehicles. Public can't buy them and they are to be destroyed.

Just so long as you realize you were wrong.

I just think it's funny how the Facebook part out whores are so quick to jump all over a stock car that's not molested and say oh I've bought my stroker gsx with a Shep trans for $3200

So now you're mad because you can't daily drive it anymore and can't afford one that hasn't been hacked to shit

It's getting very difficult to find replacement parts other than eBay

Also counter point to my Texas shortage of dsm's, they never sold well down here except as base model commuters like the Scion TC was. Up north more people knew them as all wheel drive Chrysler Halo cars, not as generic Mitsubishi commuter cars

Once gasoline engines get banned in favor of electric all gasoline engine vehicles will skyrocket in value, especially those that are good platforms like the DSM. People will want to drive them because they were an experience.....the sound, the power delivery, boost, and the exhaust fumes of a combustion engine. Electric is fast but boring.

Many countries in Europe have already pledged to ban the sale and use of gasoline engines by 2030. It's only a matter of time before it happens here.
They're not. How many have you driven? They can make one hell of a racket! All depends on how there made just like gas cars. Ive driven some pretty damn exciting electric cars.

As far as I know he is right. There are production build hears as far back as 1988. I believe they were released as 90 models. My 90 had an 89 build date. The oldest one I saw has even smaller brakes than the 90. If you lookup brakes in caps I think you see the build dates.

One factor no one has mentioned is the impact that the idiotic "Clunkers for Cash" had on used vehicles and parts. The local junkyards were suddenly flooded with old cars, including DSMs. Prior to that, there were always a half dozen in most of the Bay Area yards, and they sat there for many months being picked over. This jumped to multiple ROWS of DSM cars, and they didn't hang around as long, it seemed. Now, I have to hunt to find a 1st gen in a yard.

This .gov game artificially impacted the price by reducing the availability of older cars. The base value of a running car essentially doubled from $500 to $1000, which CA locked in with their program to entice people to retire (junk) older cars. Roommate just got a letter asking if he wants to sell his '95 Ford to the state. Tax dollars at work! (Idiots at work, actually.)

I'm planning to beat feet soon. BTW,The Big One(tm) is due within 30 years. This place is a bit different from PA. Grew up near Philly, mostly.

Yeah, if the coast moved 30-50 miles inland, most all the Liberals would get very wet. Wish the rest of the state would split off on their own. Could make a couple of good states out of it.

The Left hates diesel and gas engines. Actually, they hate personally owned vehicles. They have this infatuation with Europe and their mass transit systems. No concept of how small most of those countries are. That's one of their major flaws, the lack of facts backing up their ideas. "I know what I know, don't confuse me with the facts". The disaster that awaits their mandate of eliminating fuel burning autos and forcing everyone into electrics will be spectacular!

CA doesn't have the electrical generating capacity nor the infrastructure to support that huge increase in demand. Talk about rolling brownouts! Wishful thinking isn't going to make their utopia function. Their tax policies are one of the problems driving people out of the state. Wait until they see what the taxes needed to fix the grid will cost. Hoo, boy is that going to be painful. Back in dotcom days (~2000), they hit those with a $1M income with a 10% surcharge. 1/3 of them left the state immediately. CA claimed they broke even moneywise. Yeah, pull the other one. No idea how many businesses or jobs left with them. They recently added a further 3% to that tax. (There may have been other additions that I missed over the years.) Who do they think finance new business ventures? Like I said, they raise 'em stupid here. BTW, it costs twice as much to rent a Uhaul to move to TX as in reverse. Uhaul has to ship them back to CA, since almost no one is moving here. Well, legally.

^^^ This is all true! sadly California is a beautiful state, if we could just go back to the 60's out there we would be ok, the hippies ruined it though (after of course they had their fun raping and pillaging), hey California: remember when cars were legal and DRUGS were illegal? apparently anything goes if you generate tax money, on a positive note legal prostitution is coming to a neghborhood near you soon, wait and see.

I just came in here to laugh out loud at the title

I just came in here to laugh out loud at the title
Don't laugh too hard friend, I predict the value of the cars born during the "tuner" era are going to catch fire in the next 10 yrs or so.. These cars will never compete with Supra's and the like, but they will have an audience... :hellyeah:

Last edited:
I wouldn't laugh too hard either. Sorry reviving this thead after its now become almost a daily thing in which someone approaches me to talk about my car and how you never see them. I always wanted a imported Skyline but at the past few car shows I've seen multiple, yet my car is the only DSM. Now there's probably a good reason for thatROFL but they are definitely becoming rare to find. The next 10-20 years will be interesting.

I’ve had 2 different people interested in buying my car from just seeing it in the driveway, you never know they might yet appreciate, especially clean examples that have been takin care of will ALWAYS have enthusiasts interested as they get older

Sure our DSMs will not be worth the values of Skylines or Supras...but the unmodified examples of GS-Ts and GSXs will certainly command great premiums in 5-10 years down the road.

It is undeniable as our generation of owners age and have more buck in the bank, spending upwards of 15K-20K on a clean DSM for nostalgic reasons will not be unheard of.

I've received offers of $12,000 on my GS-T, but I turned it down.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These cars will never be collector cars or investiment opportunities. The beauty of the dsm is that your not afraid to modify them. Anyone can afford them. I wouldnt want a low mileage stock dsm anyway .how much more boring can you get? Owning a low mileage original anything is boring. Being scared to use the car as it was engineered is a waste imo. The only thing that makes me sad is that parts are starting to become impossible to find..... if only i could go back in time

I enjoy my stock laser just as much as my modified talon. I drive my laser fairly hard for stock and its a blast sometimes you have so much power you lose that balance of drivability and power. Both of mine are fwd. The talon was a problem child when I got it so much botched wire work and all around issues because some one else modified it most people want stock so they know what's been done to it.

My 2 cents.. the 2g is the most iconic car produced by Mits. I hate it, but F&F made these cars really popular. I am part of the generation that had one as a teenager (before F&F). In the last 5 years, I have been able to invest in a couple of them. As my generation gets older and has more disposable income, these cars will go up in value. They will be worth what people are willing to pay for them. As they become less and less available, people will pay more. Values will go up. They inevitably always go up on the years and models that people want.. supply/ demand/ market Period.

My 2 cents.. the 2g is the most iconic car produced by Mits. I hate it, but F&F made these cars really popular.

You lost me right there, I would take the Galant GVR4, the 3000GT VR4 and any generation EVO as the most iconic car produced by Mitsubishi, and I see those going up in value WAY before any 2G..

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back