The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

When/if to report modifications to DMV or Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
What do you guys do with your registration and insurance?

My car is heavily modified and trying to figure out how getting it registered and insured works, for my benefit if anything were to happen.

FWIW- I got a statefarm quote on a mythical stock 97 GSX and it came out to be 53/month. I'm in Indiana.

If you are attempting to cover your modifications with insurance you'd need to find a policy that allows "claimed value". Normally that would be collectors insurance or similar. I don't know of any "normal" policies that would allow claiming a specific vehicle value, but I'm not an expert.

As for modifications and registration, I wouldn't mention anything, ever. In your area, is there a physical inspection that is required? Emissions test? Etc etc. Ohio has a collectors car plate that removes the need for any inspections or emissions checks but does come with stipulations about driving to events and shows only and requires you to have a second car as a daily driver registered in your name. Maybe you have access to something similar?

Just a few thoughts.

Ohio has a collectors car plate that removes the need for any inspections or emissions checks but does come with stipulations about driving to events and shows only and requires you to have a second car as a daily driver registered in your name.

I know the black and white historical ohio plates can only be used to drive to shows and the car has to be 25 years old but believe the collector plates have a bit more freedom in terms of destinations. I know that collectors plates can't be used on the primary car of transport though. Truthfully I've rarely seen the actual collectors plates.

I know the black and white historical ohio plates can only be used to drive to shows and the car has to be 25 years old but believe the collector plates have a bit more freedom in terms of destinations. I know that collectors plates can't be used on the primary car of transport though. Truthfully I've rarely seen the actual collectors plates.

I run the collector plates on the Talon and historicals on my Eclipse. I haven't had any issues with being pulled over or questioned about my purpose for diving the car. That includes taking them to work on a sunny afternoon or diving at noon on a weekday. Not saying you won't have an issue, but in my experience they don't seem to care. I imagine they could tack on an additional fine if you get pulled over for something unrelated and they decide you don't have an "allowable" purpose for driving it.

Progressive has a Custom Parts & Equipment rider that you can add on to your car policy.

It states, "At the time of a claim, it will be the insured's responsibility to show receipts to verify the existence and value of additional parts or equipment".

So keep all of your receipts. No coverage for your personal labor, though.

If you are attempting to cover your modifications with insurance you'd need to find a policy that allows "claimed value". Normally that would be collectors insurance or similar. I don't know of any "normal" policies that would allow claiming a specific vehicle value, but I'm not an expert.

As for modifications and registration, I wouldn't mention anything, ever. In your area, is there a physical inspection that is required? Emissions test? Etc etc. Ohio has a collectors car plate that removes the need for any inspections or emissions checks but does come with stipulations about driving to events and shows only and requires you to have a second car as a daily driver registered in your name. Maybe you have access to something similar?

Just a few thoughts.
I live in Ohio and I have no inspection or emissions with a regular plate.

I live in Ohio and I have no inspection or emissions with a regular plate.

County by county. The suburbs of Cleveland and Cincinnati have "e-check". Unsurprisingly, Columbus is left off that list (state capital and home of the politicians). The rest of the state has nothing.

County by county. The suburbs of Cleveland and Cincinnati have "e-check". Unsurprisingly, Columbus is left off that list (state capital and home of the politicians). The rest of the state has nothing.
Whats involved in getting the collector plate? whats the procedure, cost, limits, etc. why not run the collector plate on both cars? why historical on one? they used to have a classic plate for 20 years and older and then when mine got close to qualify they got rid of it without warning and made it 25 years for antique, with my luck in 2020 when mine qualifies for antique they will change it again to 30 years old or some shiz like that. I see plenty of collector plates in the area, I assumed it meant you had to have like a certain amount of old vehicles or something to qualify as a "collector".

Historical plate registration is good until 2050. So they are much cheaper to keep the car legal. Literally a one time fee of about $50 if I remember correctly. Car must be at least 25 years old and cannot be your primary vehicle. That's it.if the model year in the title is old enough you get historical plates.

Collectors are a bit more involved. To get them you must apply to the state dmv. To be approved you will need one of the following:

- Your vehicle is on their list as allowable for collector plates. Not sure how that list is made. I called and talked to the state rep and she said the Talon was on the list. Just filled out the form and I was done.

- you have receipts for $5000 or more in modifications.

- you can prove your vehicle was built in limited quantities or has some significance beyond a normal passenger vehicle. This one seems arbitrary to me so I'm unsure how this would really work.

Once you have the plate you still pay normal registration fees yearly.

For both plates, you are required to have a primary vehicle. You are technically not allowed to drive the vehicle for anything other than shows or events. The car does not need to be emissions tested even if your county requires it.

I run the collecor plate on the Talon simply because it isn't old enough. In 2021 it will be moved to a historical plate as well.

I have progressive and have additional coverage on the vehicle. If you claim below 5k in extra coverage under the custom and modifications sections, they just apply a higher premium. Over 5k and it gets insanely spendy. For instance, I claim $4,999 on my 92 talon and have full coverage maxed out, and pay around 1,400 per year for that. Currently I have no liability as I'm working on it, so it's only about 5-600 a year for that.

When I asked for a quote over the 5k mark (tallied up 14k in significant receipts fast) and the price quickly went over 3k a year. Decided to bag that for now.

Yeah, I looked at Hagerty insurance for around $55k agreed value and it was over $2k a year, which really makes no sense at all seeing as an average pickup truck these days can be a $60k purchase and full coverage on that $60k vehicle that would be daily driven would be no where near as much as for a 25 year old car that only gets driven less than 3k miles per year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back