The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's the gap on the spark plugs supposed to be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-DSM2NR-

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
I've heard some people saying that it's 0.80mm and others saying that it's supposed to be at 0.20mm. So now I'm pretty confused. What's the gap of a perfect working condition spark plugs supposed to be?

Ok thank you. But I had one more question. If my current plugs need replacement which should I get? I want to get some NGK's but which number?

Ok, hold up. I just checked my plugs for wear and they appear to be in good condition but the name of these plugs is BPR6EKN WTF. What kind of plugs are these???? And am I even allowed to use these on the dsm?
Another thing I've noticed is that my spark plug wire number 4 is slightly cut. The wire itself isn't cut but the rubber that plugs the hole is. Might this cause any kinds of problems or does it barely matter?

If you go to the dealership, sometimes they will tell you that the EKN plug is stock for your car. You can always just ask for the ES plugs. The difference is that the EKN are a dual-electrode design, which may or may not increase the life-span of the plug.

When you say the wire is cut, do you mean the rubber cap part that slips over the lip of the spark-plug well? If it's just that, you may get some moisture in the well, which might cause a problem, but the tear itself shouldn't affect the actual spark delivery.

ok. I had another question. Do the arrows on the valve cover by the spark plug holes mean anything?

-DSM2NR- said:
ok. I had another question. Do the arrows on the valve cover by the spark plug holes mean anything?
It shows how the wires are routed.

-DSM2NR- said:
Those are the directions the wires go to minimize the change of cross coupling and inducing a misfire.

Sorry Bruce, I didn't see your reply.

Steve

Hold up. I have been getting a couple of misfires recently. What do you mean by "that's the way the wires go"? Are you saying that the pointers or whatever it's called on the wire end are supposed to point to the direction of the arrows?

Hmmmmmmm, might this be causing my misfires? However, I don't understand how the route of the wires would be causing misfires. Explain please!

If the end of the wire that connects to the boot that goes into the spark plug well isn't pointing in the direction of the arrow, it won't give you a misfire. These arrows are soley for wire routing purposes, that's all. The misfire is probably due to the plugs themselves. I had a pretty bad misfire, and fianlly got around to replacing the plugs the other day, and no more misfire.

4G63Boosted said:
If the end of the wire that connects to the boot that goes into the spark plug well isn't pointing in the direction of the arrow, it won't give you a misfire. These arrows are soley for wire routing purposes.
Sorry, I should have used the correct term, inductive crossfire and that is the reason for the factory routing of the wires.

The FSM says "Impropper arrangement of the spark plug cables will induce a voltage between the cables causing missfiring and developing a surge at acceleration in high speed operation. Therefore be careful to arrange the spark plug cables properly by the following procedure."

The cables a are arranged to keep the wires oriented 3214 and to keep the pairs 32 and 14 seperated.

If your interested in what inductive crossfire is then google is your friend.

Steve

One last question. I'm pretty sure my spark plugs are in decent condition but, how am I supposed to measure the gap using the tool on a dual-electrode design? The tool doesn't fit between the two arms.

-DSM2NR- said:
One last question. I'm pretty sure my spark plugs are in decent condition but, how am I supposed to measure the gap using the tool on a dual-electrode design? The tool doesn't fit between the two arms.

Those factory plugs do not need to be gapped.

Change the wires if you are in doubt. They're pretty cheap. I had a small tear in one wire on my Intrepid and the plugs go deep, about half a foot down. When I finally got a new set I went to replace them and the rubber boot stayed behind on the plug when I removed the wire. I spent 2.5 hours trying to remove that boot, and I did, minus a few scratches, one ruined plug, and 1 stripped thread. The $60 for wires was totally worth it, but I waited and regretted it. Don't cheap out, it could cost you more in the long run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back