The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

What is this car worth / Is this car a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I found a 1996 Spyder GST for $4900. It is a 5-speed, 91,000 miles on it, white with black top, 17 inch rims. There is 80% tread left on the tires but the guy has a brand new never used set of tires for the car that is included in the price. He says the top doesn't leak, but it had a rip and was repaired, but he didn't like it, so he bought a brand new oem top that isn't installed and is included with the car. He says the interior is really nice, everything inside works, but you have to help the top up a little bit. He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced or not. It has a 3 inch cat back exhaust, 16G turbo, apexi intake and a greddy bov. He says it runs great and has no issues. He says he just wants to get rid of it because he doesn't drive it and its taking up space in his garage, which sounds good to me because he kept it garaged at least. he also said that the paint is good on it, no clear coat coming off, no body damage or dents. I'm going to check for crankwalk be looking at the clutch pedal when I turn left. I have been talking to the guy over the phone and I'm suppose to go drive for 4 hours to go and buy it if it checks out on Thursday. Does it sound good? Should I ask him or check for other things on it?
full_car.jpg
engine.jpg
partial_engine.jpg

5th gen as in like 2010+?

LS cars are still 4th gen. Jus a better version. Either way. Im partial to booooost!!! And have u ever worked on an fbody? Good laaawd have mercy!

I'm gonna try and get the trade done!

LS3 is part of the family. Cam only ls1's make 420+whp. Basically more than 90% of the dsm's out there and its still stock. All the LS engines have made over 1000whp boosted on the stock bottom end.

I know you have the lt1 though and its not practical to swap in an LS, but they're beastly. Nothing really compares.

Bolt on LS cars make more power than 90% of the dsm's running around.

Hell my buddy just went 12.20's with an intake, exhaust, and a tune in his automatic 5th gen.

Lol pretty much what every single ls guy says to me before I pull bus lengths on them. You have to remember power to weight ratio, independent suspension, and a strong power band matters.

Also, I was talking about old LS cars and there's no way any fbody or ls car is pulling low 12's with just intake and exhaust pre 2008 or 2007 unless it's a Z06. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked LS motors, just the platforms were fat, heavy, and archaic. Not to mention you will be spending twice the money and man hours trying to make an LS platform fast compared to a DSM.

That car hasn't been on the road since 2008? Might be a reason. You should ask them.

Lol pretty much what every single ls guy says to me before I pull bus lengths on them. You have to remember power to weight ratio, independent suspension, and a strong power band matters.

Also, I was talking about old LS cars and there's no way any fbody or ls car is pulling low 12's with just intake and exhaust pre 2008 or 2007 unless it's a Z06. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked LS motors, just the platforms were fat, heavy, and archaic. Not to mention you will be spending twice the money and man hours trying to make an LS platform fast compared to a DSM.

They weigh the same as a dsm. The ls1 engine is actually almost 100lbs lighter then a fully dressed 4g63T.

Most of the time they're tire limited. Not power limited. For example i know a guy with a bolt on LS and a 100 shot that runs bottom 10's, but the car is set up properly.

Same goes for dsm's, how many big turbo cars are running around that dont run anywhere near what they should.

Huge power in an ls car = blown transmission = shattered rear end.

Same goes for a dsm, but the difference is the dsm drivetrain cant be "built", while in an fbody you have endless options, TH350, TH400, 4l80e, or powerglide transmission, that can be built absolutely bullet proof. Same with the rear end, they have 12 bolt, ford 8.8 or 9''.

Dsm has no other option then to keep a pile of spare parts or keep getting bent over by factory rebuilds labeled as "stage 3".

Last edited:
Meh, never going to the track anyway. Nevwr have, never will. I only drove my fbody 2300 miles this year. Not exactly a daily driver for any toy car I have. If the dsm pisses me off, I'll sell it and never own another. jus like any other car I get LOL

They weigh the same as a dsm. The ls1 engine is actually almost 100lbs lighter then a fully dressed 4g63T.

Most of the time they're tire limited. Not power limited. For example i know a guy with a bolt on LS and a 100 shot that runs bottom 10's, but the car is set up properly.

Same goes for dsm's, how many big turbo cars are running around that dont run anywhere near what they should.

Same goes for a dsm, but the difference is the dsm drivetrain cant be "built", while in an fbody you have endless options, TH350, TH400, 4l80e, or powerglide transmission, that can be built absolutely bullet proof. Same with the rear end, they have 12 bolt, ford 8.8 or 9''.

Dsm has no other option then to keep a pile of spare parts or keep getting bent over by factory rebuilds labeled as "stage 3".

Huhh that's mis information. Fbodies weigh in near 3500lbs, Goats weigh in near 3700lbs. They need spray because they don't have a turbo or supercharger to keep up with EVOs and DSMs even tho they have 4 extra cylinders. I have heard every excuse in the book from trash talking LS guys, it gets old. I've put a few 30lb of boost launches through my stock drivetrain and it still holds up fine. Key is how you drive and if it does break, there are still quite a few options for rebuilds and my car is a true street car, meaning summer tires, mild suspension setup, street clutch, catted exhaust and for the most part, tolerable in everyday conditions. Once you reach a certain power level with V8s all that goes out the window and you might as well tow it to races, like the guys on street outlaws do.:rolleyes:

3440lbs isnt far off from the 2g auto weight of 3349....

"They need spray because they don't have a turbo or supercharger to keep up with EVOs and DSMs even tho they have 4 extra cylinders."

Is that why they make 320whp stock and dsm's make 165whp? Maybe you should fix your statement and say "dsm's need boost to make half the power stock ls cars make". That would be more accurate.

Bolt on LS cars make more power than 90% of the dsm's out there and the ls engines, all of them (4.8,5.3,5.7,6.0) can handle 1000whp+ on the stock bottom end. For multiple seasons no less. But dsm fanboys lose their mind if a dsm made 600hp for one pass LOL.

"Once you reach a certain power level with V8s all that goes out the window and you might as well tow it to races, like the guys on street outlaws do"

What?? LOL.

V8's make much much more power while staying streetable then 4 pots. They dont need ragged edge tunes and ridiculous cams.

My buddy has a big block car, low compression, mild cam that makes 550whp on pump 93, through a 4l80. It takes pretty extreme dsm builds to reach those numbers that the clutch alone in those cars would make them impractical. Not to mention they wouldnt hold up to the abuse.

But really im done with ths argument. Import diehards live in some fantasy land that im going to avoid. So have fun beating stock LS cars in your heavily modded 4cyl.

3440lbs isnt far off from the 2g auto weight of 3349....

Is that why they make 320whp stock and dsm's make 165whp? Maybe you should fix your statement and say "dsm's need boost to make half the power stock ls cars make". That would be more accurate.

Bolt on LS cars make more power than 90% of the dsm's out there and the ls engines, all of them (4.8,5.3,5.7,6.0) can handle 1000whp+ on the stock bottom end. For multiple seasons no less. But dsm fanboys lose their mind if a dsm made 600hp for one pass LOL.

What?? LOL.

V8's make much much more power while staying streetable then 4 pots. They dont need ragged edge tunes and ridiculous cams.

My buddy has a big block car, low compression, mild cam that makes 550whp on pump 93, through a 4l80. It takes pretty extreme dsm builds to reach those numbers that the clutch alone in those cars would make them impractical. Not to mention they wouldnt hold up to the abuse.

But really im done with ths argument. Import diehards live in some fantasy land that im going to avoid. So have fun beating stock LS cars in your heavily modded 4cyl.

Lol I don't want to come off as a dick, lets just agree to disagree. I have respect for anything that's built not bought so to speak and have lived in Detroit for most of my life, making it out to woodward every weekend I could. Just to add, the LS cars i've run were not stock and most were with old 20g and s16g setups, running less boost.

Hey everyone.

Well ive been out of the dsm game since 2000. I had a 1g nt. It was a decent ride, but i wanted somting bigger at the time, and it was nt, so i moved on.

So ive been looking at new to me rides , and have been lookin for a gsx. Im ready for a tuner. I came across a clean '95 gsx local, and wanted any opinions on buy or not buy, deal or no deal... $6k? does it seem like a decent build, im new to turbo dsm's.

no rust, clean paint, leather power everything, moon roof.

new 6 bolt swap, with 40k (has reciepts) New belts/gaskets ect..106k on body..Mods listed below....

-B16g (ported), RRE install kit
-HKS 264/272 cams
-DSMLink V2
-Polished SS 3" Downpipe, 3" Catback w/Magnaflow 3" straight through muffler
-ported o2, ported manifold
-FIC 650cc injectors
-Denso 190 fuel pump
-1G TB
-Buschur Upper IC pipe
-Griffin top-bottom flow FMIC
-Greddy Type S BOV
-K&N filter, NGK 7ES plugs/NGK wires, Hacked MAF
-Centerforce Pressure plate with Clutchnet 6 puck clutch
-Short shifter, solid shifter bushings
-Blitz Dual Turbo Timer
-Greddy Profec B electronic boost controller
-Greddy EGT gauge, VDO boost Gauge, Cyberdyne A/F gauge
-Porterfield R4S Carbon/Kevlar brake pads,
-Eibach Pro Kit springs
-Tokico shocks
-18" Enkei OR52 Gunmetal w/polished lip wheels, 225/40/18 Kuhmo 711V tires

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What do you think? any info would be great. Thanks for your time .

If you vote no deal let me know why thanks.

I recently bought a 97 talon awd with 150K miles stock except a few suspension parts for $3500 in detroit

Another "Is it worth it" question for you...

I'm looking for an earlier 1ga. Found a one owner, 1990 Black Cherry TSI AWD. The car has 138,000 but is totally original. Car appears to have been well kept and maintained during the original owners time.

Story is that it ate a timing belt and when the guy took it to a shop to have the belt changed and head/valves repaired, the cost was more than he was willing to pay. He sold it to the shop, who repaired the car. The downside is that it has not been used, titled, etc in the 4 years it has sat at the shop. As a result, it looks rough. Really rough. Paint has been left to bake in the OK sun. Will need a major paint correction. Hood has some fading, roof is fine. Surprisingly, interior is in excellent shape, with none of the expected damage. On the mechanical side, brakes need to be done, T-case leaks, CV joints are dry rotted, tires are dry rotted. Motor is (now) strong, new valves, rebuilt head. No shaft play/leaking seals on the turbo. It'll need the normal maintenance items before it hits reliable daily driver status. Electrical is all present and doing what it should.

Shop owner is asking $3500.

What do you all think?

I hope you clowned the shop for letting a nice car sit outside for 4 years

3500 is alittle high, I bet the brake rotors/calipers are rusty too. 4 years is along time for a car to straight sit. You'd have to really look at the car, check underneath for cancer rust, check for any rust building up around the door claddings/side skirts. Check fluids etc. If somehow all that is still in decent shape and it runs shifts fine, car is worth around 1500-2k pending pictures. Hard to give exact amount without seeing it.

Remember the shop prolly got the car cheap, saved on labor fixing it and is trying to make a profit. Problem is those idiots let the car sit and now the dishes are done.

Just recently bought a eclipse gst, with some mods that ill list shortly with 112,000 in great condition for 3800$ does that seem decent ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back