The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What is this car worth / Is this car a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I found a 1996 Spyder GST for $4900. It is a 5-speed, 91,000 miles on it, white with black top, 17 inch rims. There is 80% tread left on the tires but the guy has a brand new never used set of tires for the car that is included in the price. He says the top doesn't leak, but it had a rip and was repaired, but he didn't like it, so he bought a brand new oem top that isn't installed and is included with the car. He says the interior is really nice, everything inside works, but you have to help the top up a little bit. He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced or not. It has a 3 inch cat back exhaust, 16G turbo, apexi intake and a greddy bov. He says it runs great and has no issues. He says he just wants to get rid of it because he doesn't drive it and its taking up space in his garage, which sounds good to me because he kept it garaged at least. he also said that the paint is good on it, no clear coat coming off, no body damage or dents. I'm going to check for crankwalk be looking at the clutch pedal when I turn left. I have been talking to the guy over the phone and I'm suppose to go drive for 4 hours to go and buy it if it checks out on Thursday. Does it sound good? Should I ask him or check for other things on it?
full_car.jpg
engine.jpg
partial_engine.jpg

I've seen this car in the ads too, I live in Oregon and was actually really interested but I already have a 99 spyder gs-t that I'm converting to awd, so my money is tied up. Take it for a test drive and see whats up.

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing an AWD conversion, but I had to stop looking into that stuff and focus on getting a Spyder first. I will do a compression test, it just feels awkward to mess with someone's car like that before it's yours. But I guess it's my right to know. I'm not sure about the dump tube, I actually haven't asked him about that. I will have to find out.

Hey everyone.

Well ive been out of the dsm game since 2000. I had a 1g nt. It was a decent ride, but i wanted somting bigger at the time, and it was nt, so i moved on.

So ive been looking at new to me rides , and have been lookin for a gsx. Im ready for a tuner. I came across a clean '95 gsx local, and wanted any opinions on buy or not buy, deal or no deal... $6k? does it seem like a decent build, im new to turbo dsm's.

no rust, clean paint, leather power everything, moon roof.

new 6 bolt swap, with 40k (has reciepts) New belts/gaskets ect..106k on body..Mods listed below....

-B16g (ported), RRE install kit
-HKS 264/272 cams
-DSMLink V2
-Polished SS 3" Downpipe, 3" Catback w/Magnaflow 3" straight through muffler
-ported o2, ported manifold
-FIC 650cc injectors
-Denso 190 fuel pump
-1G TB
-Buschur Upper IC pipe
-Griffin top-bottom flow FMIC
-Greddy Type S BOV
-K&N filter, NGK 7ES plugs/NGK wires, Hacked MAF
-Centerforce Pressure plate with Clutchnet 6 puck clutch
-Short shifter, solid shifter bushings
-Blitz Dual Turbo Timer
-Greddy Profec B electronic boost controller
-Greddy EGT gauge, VDO boost Gauge, Cyberdyne A/F gauge
-Porterfield R4S Carbon/Kevlar brake pads,
-Eibach Pro Kit springs
-Tokico shocks
-18" Enkei OR52 Gunmetal w/polished lip wheels, 225/40/18 Kuhmo 711V tires

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What do you think? any info would be great. Thanks for your time .

If you vote no deal let me know why thanks.

i know thats the one thing i was gonna do, (97 swap) then i saw it already was done, and a good job as well....

Also were do you think this car stands power wise? buy what ive been reading, 300whp should be there if tuned, correct?

Yeah it looks like a good deal. and should be pushing somewhere around 300hp. usually i see rides like that people asking 8k, i would say go for it.

Looks pretty good. Looks like a good deal.

I'd check the reciepts real good and make sure that 6 bolt swap was done right, so you don't end up buying a headache. From the engine shot that type-s bov tooks like its the ebay bov, cant really tell.

Take it for some pulls see how it rides. Make sure theres no leaks, or tranny grinds. If you know any dsmwise ppl take them with you since your not fully familar with the turbo awd platform. Good Luck!!

Cool I'll check into that, i dont really know anyone with dsm knowledge, but ill do my best to check for trouble signs if i look at it.. And if i do pick it up ill proll knit pick and upgrade parts if need be. I already dont see a wastgate on the list, or a Wideband, so i think there may be a few ponies left in just tuning and a few other things.

I dont know what the receipts are for. but i know he did the swap himself, and that most of the mods were tranferred from the other engine.

That 16g probably still has the internal wastegate, they claim its ported so that will prevent some boost creep. Also it says it has an egt and you can tell from the pic the exhaust mani has a egt tap sensor, so you won't need a wideband an egt will work fine for tuning and monitoring.

I'd also check to see if thats an mhi 16g not an ebay, it will have large serial numbers around the housing. Also remove the intake and check for any shaft play. Keep us posted.

I say go for it too, it looks like a good deal. I would do a compression test first though

ok so whats with not needing a wb? when i see a a/f gauge thats not a wb, a flag pops and says no wb. I learned in the 3800 world that you need a wb for tuning, and that the nb a/f is just pretty colors.

ok so whats with not needing a wb? when i see a a/f gauge thats not a wb, a flag pops and says no wb. I learned in the 3800 world that you need a wb for tuning, and that the nb a/f is just pretty colors.

A wideband is nice to have, but hes got a egt(exhaust gas temperature) You don't need a wideband or a/f gauge since the egt acts like a wideband. Its just an older way of monitoring. The lower your egt is the leaner you are the higher the richer.

Cool thanks to the info, i know ill have to head over to the tuning section later. But im gonna hold off on that till i drop some change.

You sure about that egt stuff? A lean burn is a hotter burn. So Im thinking that its the other way arround on the gauge. Unless there is something that Im un aware of with the egt system. Ohh btw. I dont care if an egt "will Work" I wouldnt recommend anyone who is even slightly new to tuning try to do so without a w/b. There is no guesswork with a w/b. You know if your safe or if your close to the edge. A w/b and a knock sensor are the 2 best tuning tools ever.

A w/b and a knock sensor are the 2 best tuning tools ever.

Thats one thing i was courios about, i havnt seen any mention of knock gauges. So i take it you have to add a knock sensor to a dsm?

no you can't really monitor knock on a 2g without a eprom ecu and chip. You have to go by timming. But imo thats a steal if it was my car I"d be asking more like 7k. In the pics though it doesn't have powersteering or ac.

Owch, he told me no a/c,, but not no power steering.

Also with this being a 95 doesnt it have eprom ecu? i assumed thats how the dsmlink was hooked up. idk.

Would this pic help, id like to know if it has power steering.
wait there is supposed to be another belt there, right ?
I asked about the ac, he told me he had the ac still i could put back on . ill have to ask about the power steering aswell.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back