The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G What did I break? W4a33 trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
So i took my cAr out for a spin, few launches and pulls.... pulled the car in and I heard an audible wine when the car is in drive. The car is silent in neutral. The car will stall when I put the car into drive. If I rev it... the car moves and shifts. Any ideas?

I wouldnt continue to run it, you are likely spreading crap all through the transmission from something you damaged, pull the pan and filter and report back.

Trashed convertor? Is that rare? Its a practically new spoolnator. Wouldnt it make noise in idle also?
Its not super common but convertors do fail in lots of different ways, theres not alot else that I can blame with your description.

Can you take a video of the whine?

Usually when they start whining while driving it’s cracked transfer gears.
Yah the pan is completely clear, I did a few hard launches. My car is making 600+. I'm gunna pull her out tmrw, I have the Jeff bush trans gears anyway. Some people are saying bad t conv, bad trans gears or my planets are going. I'll find out tmrw. The strange thing is my pan is crystal clear, nothing even on the magnet?. If the car is In neutral it's quiet as can be. If I put it In drive I'm reverse it will stall unless I rev the engine.? It's not a knock or rattle just a low pitch wine, stop when In neutral.

If you have the billet transfer gears they aren’t broke. But when the stock gears first start to crack they don’t start shedding metal. They fracture and then just break all at once.

I’ve seen baskets crack, o rings fail, planetary gears fail, clutches of course, and just about every other part in those things fail.

I’ve even seen valve bodies cause issues like you describe and nothing was visually wrong anywhere during a teardown.

Make sure you post up some pics when you get it apart.

If you have the billet transfer gears they aren’t broke. But when the stock gears first start to crack they don’t start shedding metal. They fracture and then just break all at once.

I’ve seen baskets crack, o rings fail, planetary gears fail, clutches of course, and just about every other part in those things fail.

I’ve even seen valve bodies cause issues like you describe and nothing was visually wrong anywhere during a teardown.

Make sure you post up some pics when you get it apart.
Im pulling it out tmrw morning so Ill be sure to keep everyone updated. The strange this like i said is it still will drive, just feel like theres resistance. The transfer gears are stock, i have the billet gears ready to go

The real question is.....if the torque converter is going, wouldnt it still make noise is neutral? The tc is still spinning in park isnt it.....

The real question is.....if the torque converter is going, wouldnt it still make noise is neutral? The tc is still spinning in park isnt it.....
Yes, its still spinning but its under little to no load, its sounding like the bearing is going in it maybe. This video kind of captures the sounds.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

sounds like that. Very strange.....Arent these spoolinator tc just re purposed oem units. I hope my tc isnt f***ed....they arent cheap

Havent found anything yet.

Attachments

• E7A9FB38-8273-4FB3-824F-186F87BB24CD.jpeg
    E7A9FB38-8273-4FB3-824F-186F87BB24CD.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 76
Yes, its still spinning but its under little to no load, its sounding like the bearing is going in it maybe. This video kind of captures the sounds.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
So im comparing torque convertors. The spoolinAtor front section is very loose and spins very very easily. When compared to a stock its much stiffer. Like comparing a ball bearing to a journal bearing?

Its a tough one, its not like its a rear wheel drive Chevy where it only takes two hours to stick a stock converter in and give it a try, but thats almost what your going to have to do unless you have a torque converter rebuild business that can open it up and check it out for you.

Most aftermarket converters are just restalled/modified stock units, you could call the company and ask them if thats normal or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back