The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Welded compressor outlet elbow or silicone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleBens

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2002
North_Carolina
Guys, I have a 2g with a big greddy intercooler. I'm going with a garret setup and was wondering if there is any pros and cons to using a silicone 90 degree compressor outlet elbow like show here http://www.turbohoses.com/90 Degree.htm .

I need an elbow pointing to the passenger side. I thought that the silicone elbow is a bit more flexible if i was to sell the turbo down the road it would be a lot easier to remove than the welded one.

Any durability/reliability concerns with the silicone?

So you want to add this to the T25? To me that would be a lot of bends. You have the potential to lose some pressure. If you want to keep the integrety of the T25, go for it.

Omega, did you even read his post? Anyway, UncleBens, I've read about using silicon couplers as extensions when installing Supra ICs so I don't think it would be that much of a problem here, but I haven't done it myself so don't take my word for it. It may be too flexible, I don't know, but hopefully someone will pop in with an answer.

I have one on my IC setup and it's works great.

Thanks guys.

L2RTSiAWD: are you using your elbow right at the compressor outlet or were you talking about another section of you IC piping?

I guess the only thing I was questionable about was the temparature right on the turbo outlet which is the hottest point of the ic piping. Also the 90 degree silicone elbow would probably have more stress on it than your normal silicone connection. With the motor movement and all.

It'll probably be fine but just curious, anyone else running a silicone elbow for the turbo compressor outlet?

i will be using one on my turbo. get them from extreme, they are very high quality there, and decent prices compared to everyone else.

sorry to bring this up, but this will be my delimma soon..

unclebens.. which route did u end up going with?

it is aboutt he same price to have it welded is it not? but i like the ease of the silicone route.. it would be nice to be able to turn it for future fmic setups or perhaps in the future of selling the turbo..

is there anyone using the silicone elbow and had any problems? or any reason why not to get it?

Silicone has been working fine for me. A slit was starting to wear into it from rubbing the fan bracket but I put a metal clamp around where it was rubbing and that was the end of that.

UncleBens said:
Silicone has been working fine for me. A slit was starting to wear into it from rubbing the fan bracket but I put a metal clamp around where it was rubbing and that was the end of that.

thanks buddy.. where did u end up purchasing it? turbo hoses?

I had this problem a while back.
I didn't want a 90 welded because you would be stuck with using piping like the greddy, etc.

I ordered a 90 silicone coupler but they sent me the wrong one.
Since I didn't want to wait longer for them to send the correct one, I went to the local auto store and purchased a radiator hose with a 90 in it.

Been working great for several months at 19psi and yes it comes directly off the housing.

just another option if you need one quickly :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back