The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Walbro 450 install in 1G AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figured I'd throw up some pics of my recent pump install since I hadn't seen anything specific to a 1G for the newer 400/450 pumps. Unlike the standard 255 style pumps, which come with a vehicle specific install kit that makes it a simple bolt-in deal, these pumps have a bigger barbed outlet feed, a filter sock that covers where the lower bracket would normally go, and overall longer length.

First, I cut off the big end of the pickup tube with a dremel and de-burred the edges.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Then, flare the end of the remaining tube slightly. I used needle nose pliers, just put them inside and wiggle them around a bit. Be sure to blow out the tube before installing the pump.

Next, clamp on the hose and install the sock, both supplied with the install kit.

Then bend back (or cut away) the lower bracket mounting tab.

Last, cut the hose to length, slide it over the tube, and clamp it down (I used 2 clamps). It helps to heat the tubing slightly. To mount the pump to the pickup housing, I cut a slice off a 2" coupler and slid it over the wide lower part of the pump body. Then just clamp it to the pickup. Before starting, you should measure the length from the top plate to the bottom of the sock on your old setup and match the new assembly to this.

To wire it up, you can use the harness supplied with the install kit and just crimp on ring terminals and bolt them to the stock mounting points.

Figured I'd throw up some pics of my recent pump install since I hadn't seen anything specific to a 1G for the newer 400/450 pumps. Unlike the standard 255 style pumps, which come with a vehicle specific install kit that makes it a simple bolt-in deal, these pumps have a bigger barbed outlet feed, a filter sock that covers where the lower bracket would normally go, and overall longer length.

First, I cut off the big end of the pickup tube with a dremel and de-burred the edges.

Then, flare the end of the remaining tube slightly. I used needle nose pliers, just put them inside and wiggle them around a bit. Be sure to blow out the tube before installing the pump.

Next, clamp on the hose and install the sock, both supplied with the install kit.

Then bend back (or cut away) the lower bracket mounting tab.

Last, cut the hose to length, slide it over the tube, and clamp it down (I used 2 clamps). It helps to heat the tubing slightly. To mount the pump to the pickup housing, I cut a slice off a 2" coupler and slid it over the wide lower part of the pump body. Then just clamp it to the pickup. Before starting, you should measure the length from the top plate to the bottom of the sock on your old setup and match the new assembly to this.

To wire it up, you can use the harness supplied with the install kit and just crimp on ring terminals and bolt them to the stock mounting points.

Reloaded images since I can't edit the original post.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back