The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Underbody rust.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meark

Proven Member
Nov 25, 2016
gastonia, North_Carolina
Looking for some tips and y'all's experiences.
So I have a bunch of rust on the underbody of my 99 gsx, want to know what steps to remove all the rust and prevent from rusting again.
Sand/prime/paint/oil coat etc... Idk.
And sorry no, I do not have and pics at the time.

Looking for some tips and y'all's experiences.
So I have a bunch of rust on the underbody of my 99 gsx, want to know what steps to remove all the rust and prevent from rusting again.
Sand/prime/paint/oil coat etc... Idk.
And sorry no, I do not have and pics at the time.
How you go about repairing the problem is going to be heavily dependent on how bad it is. Unfortunately it’s going to be hard to give guidance without photos of the damage. Repairs could be as simple as wire wheeling it down to bare metal, priming, and coating with a rubberized underbody coating. It could also be a complete loss and not worth the cost of repair.

Get us some photos when you can, that’ll help us guide you towards a good solution.

I've heard mixed things about rubberized coating, and seen some bad videos of it making rusting alot worse and hiding it.
If done properly, it won't cause any issues, hence why the factory sprays the underbody at the factory. However, if you don't clean all the rust up before coating it, the rust will continue to develop below the surface.

Does the car sit outside or is it garage kept? That plays a role in repair as well. I'm surprised a North Carolina car has a rusty underbody. My cars are garage kept so I typically wire wheel things down to bare metal and then coat with POR 15. It's a little bit expensive but it's pretty durable stuff.

Nothing is going to be permanent but I've had great luck with por 15 but you've got to prep it correctly as with anything else. Without pictures of the rust we cannot say what would work best. If I've got to weld new metal in I usually coat it on both sides with a good weld through primer beforehand. Then seal and top coat it. As long as the metal is sealed from air it wont oxidize but the key to keeping it from coming back is to make sure it's all gone and sealed.

Kent makes a great Inner Panel Rust Proofer that can be shot into key areas through a straw after welding that can help tremendously with some of the common rust issue areas on these and all cars. Awesome for use after welding in addition to some of the weld through stuff. SEM Panal Bond is okay to use in areas where you dont want to burn the back side of stuff in certain situations too......but youve gotta buy their gun. Worth it though because they make a bunch of great 2part products that require it. Prep is key to success.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back