The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

turbo problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
i have my turbo kit on but i am having problems.
when i stomp on the gas i get a flutter and no real acceleration or rise in rpm. it seems like all my boost is getting dumped or maybe it's fuel cut. any help would be nice.
when i am out of gear it seems to rev fine.

ok i'll try:
first let me say that the car runs better (not good but better) when i don't yam on the gas.
when i start to accel in 1st gear i get to about 3000 rpm and the car stops its rate of acceleration and i hear a flutter from the motor. and i watch my boost gauge go from about 4 psi back to the vaccum. i haven't went past 5000 rpm with out shifting. so i shift to second and the same problem happens again but the flutter does not last quite as long.(2 sec) the problem is i cant run at a constant level of boost. (5 psi spring) it sounds like fuel cut to me but i don't know how to fix it. can i unplug my fmu and try to see if my stock injectors can take 5 psi?

check all the hoses...it sounds liek a boost leak...fuel cut is a big jerk it feels like ur gonna get some whiplash so i really doubt it is fuel cut..

I have to agree. That lack of power aka the flutter you get for that little bit sure sounds like a boost leak. Make sure to check and double check your piping, couplers, hoses, etc. Hopefully it's something easily noticed, and you're back to regular boosting in no time :thumb:

so it is running stage one and there is no boost leak. the problem is in the wastegate setup. when i floor it, it opens up i get a flutter and it sounds like a backfire. the car kinda shakes and looses power/ i am running it without a dumptube till i get my exhause guy to dump it into my downpipe. could this cause it? also when i do get it dumped into the dp can i dump it before the o2 sensor?

i drove my car again to the local DQ to get my wife and me some ice cream and my wastegate is really pissing me off. i have a cheap boost gauge and i don't think it is working right so tomorrow i am going to get a good one. but what can i do to fix the wastegate problem. when it opens it sounds like a lawnmower with the choke open. some one please help me :mad:

What kid of wastegate do you have? Is it external or internal? What kind if any boost controler do you have? You dont by chance have the bov and fpr on the same vac line do you?

Answer those q's and I can help you.

one more thing. my vaccum for my external wastegate is in the pipe going from the turbo to the manifold. it is between the turbo and the bov. is this wrong?

spark plugs were gaped way to much for turbo and caused detonation. so i bought some denso iridum and gaped .035 and everything worked great. got my dump tube made taoday too. it made that wastegate not so loud.

so changing my gap to .35 rather then .28 will fix this ???? its like a constant back fire sounds like a damn helicopter

Thread from the dead LOL
If plugs are new and at .028 and still getting spark blowout, throw new wires on first and grab a multimeter to check coils out.
.035 would be worse if your blowing spark at .028
What plugs are in the car

Had a "friend" try an unload what he though was a gst about to blow, set of wires and plug gap confirm got me a sweet deal, and one less "friend"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back