The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Tricks for removing your intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed my new Evo3 intake manifold this weekend, and in the process figured out a couple of tricks for getting those pesky lower bolts out of my stock 2g intake manifold. In the Evo3 intake thread, folks speak of having to go at these bolts for hours, and from all sorts of crazy angles, and I was really dreading it. Not any more!

First, you need to remove the battery, and then almost everything else from the manifold (coilpack can stay). I unbolted the TB, unplugged the TPS and ISC, and removed the throttle cable, but left the coolant lines attached and just moved the whole works out of the way. I removed the EGR valve and all the vac lines for it as well. The fuel rail/injectors get pulled, and the wiring harness gets moved over towards the passenger side once everything is unplugged (this harness ends at the ac compressor on a 2g). Pull off any remaining vac lines and the support brace, and the bolts are the only thing left now. I had never done all this before, so I took my time, labeled all the plugs, and I got to this point in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

So, those lower bolts. I could not get a ratchet/socket on them at all, and I don't own a swivel, so no luck there. I do have ratcheting wrenches though, and those were my saving grace. I got the bolts out in about 10 minutes from this point. This explanation will sound confusing, but I have plenty of pictures to show what I'm talking about:

Place the ratcheting end on the bolt head, and feed a looped length of heavy electrical wire between the runners to grab the other end of the wrench (open box end on mine) so you can pull on it from above. From under the manifold, I could not get enough torque on the wrench alone due to the crazy angle at which my arm was positioned, so pulling from above seemed the next best thing. You can't use this method on the #4 cylinder runner bolt because of the 2g mani shape, so I used a 10" ratchet extension and a 14mm socket (to cup the wrench head) pushing down on the wrench from above for that one. Once they are broken loose, you can easily unscrew them by hand. To replace them, after finger tightening them, do the exact opposite...use a wire loop for the #4 bolt pulling up, and the socket extension for the other 3 pushing down to torque them down. Of course, you cant actually get a torque wrench on them this way, but you can get a feel for how tight they are supposed to be by tightening a couple on the top row first using a torque wrench, and guesstimate from there.

100228d1252447312-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-wire-trick-2.jpg

100226d1252446934-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-wire-trick.jpg

100227d1252446934-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-extension-trick.jpg

Attachments

• arm under mani copy.jpg
    arm under mani copy.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5,701
  • Extension trick 2.jpg
    Extension trick 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 5,703
Not sure what happened to the other pics that were originally in the write up, but here they are. Also, here's a direct link to the EVO3 intake mani thread where the pics are also posted: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bol...ion-iii-intake-manifold-18.html#post151976757

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back