The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Transfer Case Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomdeeze

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2009
Independence, Minnesota
I picked up Boostin Performance's billet housing and a Magnus billet bearing cover for Black Friday and wanted to know what people thought about running them with the stock sized shaft rather than upgrading to the 300m. I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 300m output shaft since I would then be required to buy a DSS driveshaft.

Would these two combined help keep the transfer case together with the stock shaft as I continue the quest in to the 9's? Or is the housing a waste of money without upgrading to the 300m shaft?

Last edited:
I picked up Boostin Performance's billet housing and a Magnus billet bearing cover for Black Friday and wanted to know what people thought about running them with the stock sized shaft rather than upgrading to the 300m. I'm hesitant to upgrade to the 300m output shaft since I would then be required to buy a DSS driveshaft.

Would these two combined help keep the transfer case together with the stock shaft as I continue the quest in to the 9's? Or am I being cheap by not upgrading to the 300m shaft and driveshaft ($2000ish)

Im in a similar boat, although im stuck between the rear housing, the center housing or the magnus gearset. All three is obviously best but the gears alone are 2500+ . Im pretty confident the gears alone would be better than either of the housings alone. So much doe though

Im in a similar boat, although im stuck between the rear housing, the center housing or the magnus gearset. All three is obviously best but the gears alone are 2500+ . Im pretty confident the gears alone would be better than either of the housings alone. So much doe though

Maybe it would have been smarter to do just the $2700 gears in the stock housing but I’ve already committed to the housing and cover haha The upgraded gears would still require the DSS driveshaft though.

Last edited:
You will snap the stock output shaft first before breaking the stock gearset.

You will snap the stock output shaft first before breaking the stock gearset.

So what you're saying is I might as well upgrade to the 300m output shaft with these or else it was a waste? I can always upgrade my main t-case to the 300m/billet mid housing and use one of my spares with the Magnus bearing cap until I am able to get the driveshaft.

pretty much unless you are upgrading the gearset or upgrading the shaft, you won't see a benefit to using a stock gearset and shaft with the billet mid housing or front housing. The output shaft snaps like a twig with lazy 1.6 60's on a 5 speed car when you start looking at going bottom 10's / upper 9's.

pretty much unless you are upgrading the gearset or upgrading the shaft, you won't see a benefit to using a stock gearset and shaft with the billet mid housing or front housing. The output shaft snaps like a twig with lazy 1.6 60's on a 5 speed car when you start looking at going bottom 10's / upper 9's.

I was cutting 1.5 60's on the stock through the auto so I felt it was time to stiffen it up. I am going to get the 300m output shaft installed in the transfer case with the mid housing and billet bearing cap, that should keep it together for awhile! Thanks for the info @twicks69

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back