The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G TIEN Coilover rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVLGSX

5+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2017
Wallingford, Connecticut
Tein wants 500 bucks to rebuild my 2 rear coilovers. They are very clean and 100% intact, just started leaking. They refuse to sell the parts. Extremely lame.I would never buy their stuff new as this is far from reasonable. Glad I got these cheap. The best they did was offered me some stingy discount on a new set, which is a total sham because the same product can be purchased elsewhere for less.

Most frustrating part is that I shipped the units to them for 18 bucks with insurance/tracking.....and they want 38 bucks to send the unrepaired units back. Lame.

Anyway Im trying to decide if I should bother getting them back and attempt to come up with the parts on my own, by just measuring and hunting stuff down.

Any ideas or experience?

I dont need coilovers at all. Only reason I even have these is because my oem units had started to leak and these where local/cheap. Fronts are good, just the rears that are hit.

Last edited:
I had the same experience. I called & argued with them, insisted they itemize out what all they planned to do & which parts. They said they needed to replace the lower bushing & their price was ridiculous (like the return shipping). I inspected my Tein's before sending them & they tried & replace a bunch of stuff not needed. I refused & only allowed them to replace the seals, oil, & recharge the gas. They finally rebuilt mine for $75 per. I replaced them with THE DG Koni setup as soon as I got them back & have never missed them, They're pretty crappy dampers. No where near as good as the Konis.

I think I might do the same thing, except I will drive on them when I get them back. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them to change the seals, replace the oil and recharge the gas. 75 each I could do. Even 150 each. But 500 is an absolute joke.

Good luck. When I had my situation they pushed a lot of needing to allow parts replacement or it would be a safety problem & their liability. It took me quit a bit of holding my ground & arguing. I think they got tired & gave up. It was not as simple as just telling them what I wanted & what to repair. I don't think they are a very good company nor actually have as good product as their advertised marketing.

So I called and spoke to the same guy as the 1st time at Tein. Hes been good, and 100% agrees that the charge for repair is a joke, and that they are offering no reasonable option. I asked if they could just change the bad seals, change the oil, and recharge. He said he would speak to the engineer and ask him to do it, and will let me know what he says.

Called back 3hrs later and said no. He just wont do it. He used the liability line.........the unit could leak and result in the vehicle losing control. Isnt that what happened in the 1st place? The unit leaked....... So its 500 to fix them or 38 to send them back as they where when I sent them in. And they will not sell me the parts. This is a 75 dollar problem if they would just sell me the seals, maybe less.

The shafts need to be polished so he wants to just drop in brand new and charge me for them, rather than do any actual work that takes effort or time. These things are ridiculously clean, I thought I would be fine. I should have polished them and set them up better before I sent them in.

Pure greed.

Class act TEIN.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back