The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The Truth about Intercooler Sprayers Co2/No2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeJuggalo

Probationary Member
May 1, 2004
Bremerton, Washington
I tried to do some research yesterday & I came to the conclusion that Intercooler Sprayers are not worth the money.

What I've read is that it is only beneficial if you have a stock intercooler that gets heatsoak very easily, or you are using the sprayer at +100 degree conditions.

Co2 can work it's way into the intake causing a loss in power.

No2 can work it's way into the intake increasing power but posing a risk to engine damage.

Both can be absorbed by an intercooler as residual gases also causing these effects.

Is This Correct????

Here's a website I found that has the best description on why to not use an intercooler sprayer.

http://cryofuzion.com/spraybar.htm

..I dont see how it'd "make its way in" (I havent read that site yet) since it's normally a closed and sealed tubing so you won't have any boost leaks....and the steel the intercooler is made from doesnt soak up stuff.....

I've heard of dyno proven 25+ hp gains from chilling the intercooler.

n20 is more exspensive....and lasts shorter amounts of time. co2 is cheaper and easier to refill for people that dont have an n2o supplier nearby that can refill them, but I don't believe it comes out as cold in the end.

Besides, even if n20 were to make its way into the tubing somehow, sure it'd increase power, but the amount that would make it in wouldn't be noticable in performance at all or pose any engine damage what so ever.

EDIT: Read that site and the author states:
Nitrous oxide, when sprayed across an intercooler, can cause motor damage.

all I can say is...WHOA WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS GUY SMOKEN?

"We now know that it is almost impossible to use an intercooler spray bar without some residual gases being drawn into the intake. "

being they were on a dyno....with the car in a still position and the gas free to roam.....and NOT moving down the strip at 80+mph or on the road doing 50+mph.......I can see why they might get gases into their intakes....but 50-80+mph winds are gonna blow the shit outta those "residual gases" and move them away from the intake anyways....

Colossus said:
I've heard of dyno proven 25+ hp gains from chilling the intercooler.

Sure, but on a dyno there is VERY CRAPPY airflow over the intercooler.

At actual speeds on the road, it's much less effective.

I think it is pointless for the most part. Why not just get small shot and put it on. It will cool the entire combustion chamber plus give the increase for the jets you are using. I would rather have that then a, maybe 30 HP gain. You could also just tune your car a bit more or modify it to make more power in general. I dont see how in a race 30 hp is going to make a big difference. Seems like a trendy thing for ricers to me.

Michael
:talon: :laser:

The only bad thing is getting co2 in the intake some how.

Actually cooling the intercooler off can add horsepower. You would be stupid to say it didn't.

in my opinion the intercooler spray kits are garbage.i dont care what dyno charts are showing the truth is in actual quarter mile time slips.if a dyno chart shows 25 horsepower increase and you take your car to the track and you get the same results with and with out it what use is the dyno improvement.i boought the nx kit and had it filled with nitrous and went to the track last summer and the temps were close to 100 degrees,i did three runs not using it then i did my next three runs with it,their were no changes in my quarter mile and i was pretty consistent in all my times.i did this more than once over the summer same results every time,so i sold it.

I know shapegsx uses one on his car... and he runs 11's with the evo 3 16g.

I am pretty sure he is the type of guy that would take it out of the car if it wasn't helping him.

Either way maybe you just werent running enough boost to see an improvement.

I would doubt you would gain much hp until the boost is atleast in the mid 20's.

i run low to mid 11's consistantly with 27lbs boost on a frank 5 turbo and a 100 shot of nitrous.you know just because someone has somthing on their car and they are running respectable time doesnt mean its doing anything.and then maybe it is im just saying in my opinion its not worth the money because it didnt do anything for me.i can see much better things to spend $500 on.but lets get somthing clear i was just posting my experiance and my opinion.i wasnt saying that theirs no way it would show no improvement on anyones car.now i dont see how you can post your opinion on somthing you dont have any experiance on,your bases of opinion is by saying somone you know has it so it must work,well if we all went by that everyones car would be fast and that just doesnt make sense

hostile said:
I know shapegsx uses one on his car... and he runs 11's with the evo 3 16g.

I am pretty sure he is the type of guy that would take it out of the car if it wasn't helping him.

Either way maybe you just werent running enough boost to see an improvement.

I would doubt you would gain much hp until the boost is atleast in the mid 20's.

I don't have a nitrous sprayer on my car.

I do have a water sprayer. I'm not actually sure it works. But it can't hurt.

Personally, I wouldn't run a nitrous spraybar. I'm sure nitrous could end up going in the filter. And if you ever blow off an intercooler pipe near the spraybar, look out.

I just purchased and installed the I/C sprayer on my 97 GS-T with a front mount last week. I have not dyno'd it yet but the hp increase is no more than 10-15. My advice to everyone thinking about purchasing the kit is DON'T...you can do a lot better for the price.

I wouldn't waste my time with a kit like that .. however it is impossible to get it into your intake unless you have a leak somewhere and even then I dount it would get in. If it was that easy to take in other stuff then wouldn't we all hydrolock in the rain??

true, but i think everyone is afraid of "THE VAPA (VAPOR)"

water injection > ic sprayer

my homemade water injection kit is in the works after seeing how well it works on my friends 2g.

His car on 20lbs of boost with stock fuel system, stock intercooler, and a 16g was able to make 28 degrees of timing with zero knock in 4th gear pulls. :thumb:

awdsm drft said:
water injection > ic sprayer

His car on 20lbs of boost with stock fuel system, stock intercooler, and a 16g was able to make 28 degrees of timing with zero knock in 4th gear pulls. :thumb:

It must be really cold in Kansas.
My EVO16g heat soaks my Supra SM after one hard run at 20psi.

In SCC there SILVA had a water sprayer on the IC that was shown to help cool during there drifting runs.

Ok you young Enstien's. This is how it is. No the Co2 will not get in your intake by spraying across the intercooler, but it will seek its way under the hood where your intake sits and it will ingest it. If your filter is out of the engine compartment, you are fine. If you are worried about a power loss, switch to the nitrous sprayer. There will be no noticable increase in power other than the intercooler being more efficiant because of the temp drop across it. There will be no affect on air fuel ratio's other than when your air temp sensor detecting a drop in temp and the ecu will give the injectors more pulse width across the map. Therefore you are actually getting more fuel and the added oxygen from the nitrous (if it seeps in the intake) will be more good than bad. Waste of time if you ask me. If you have the money just get a Air to water intercooler from spearco and run a Ice water tank and pump that around the intercooler. There is a temp drop for ya. :thumbdown

IC sprayers do make a difference in the summer time (heat soak) i personally use misters and have a noticeable drop in intake temps my highest drop has been 20 degrees F. The car runs way better when the misters are on rather than when off on a hot 90+ degree day. I have since went to air to water through frozenboost there kits are amazing and cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back