The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

The 1g all motor alternative!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heres a few ideas for you guys to play with. build a 2.4 using a 4gcs and a 4g63 head. I belive this creates a 11:1 compression ratio. then use the cyclone intake with the butterflys working for better lowend torque. switch to a turbo computer and such, it really isn't hard you only have to add 3 wires, and you get the benefit of a knock sensor and being able to burn eprom chips. Keep your n/t trans low gears are your freind with a low torque motor. You guys will never make enought power to tear up a n/t trans. thats what i run in my turbo car and there simply isn't enought traction to break it, and it is just as strong as a turbo. but avoid spinning one tire cause that will cause it to spit a spider gear out into the belhousing. (this is why i have a n/t tranny now)

well, i cracked my tranny,but the problem isnt the tranny. the clutch size is. its smaller then the gst clutch, im doin the swap now. granted its wy more clutch then needed, but, more is better then not enough in my book.

ill look into head cc's for the 4gcs and trhe 4g63 then do the math for thecompression. now i got something to do tonight.

found out that the 4g64 block with stock pistons and a 4g63 head on it does net a 11:0:1 compression 2.4L dohc motor. pretty kcik ass

also its tax return time. abotu now i am tryign to get my car here so i can get it goin. by the time my incoe tax comes in ill have a few more parts to install on here, my header will be good and cleaned up, ill have the exhaust hopefulyl by then as well. ill have intake, crank pulley, and spark plugs and wires.

once i get my tax return in im callign polk performance. they have a set of custom cams they spec'd out for a n/a dsm. i heard this from someone on here that dealt with them, not the n/a cams but knows they have em. so ill be purchasing a set of those bad boys and getitng my head ready for them as well. im going to run stock diameter stainless valves instead of the 1mm over. ill try this head otu and dyno her a bit get it tuned then upgrade and see the differences,pro and cons.

the stock head flows great and i think the stock valves will be plenty for what im tryign to do. that and the intake stuff i have planned will make it even better.

i will post once i get everythign roling and ill post specs on the cams.

how much hp and torgue do u guys think can be made out of a na moter :talon:

300 is abouts top i see without power adders. but with race gas and higher compressions id would have to be done. anythign is possible depending on what you do and hwo much money you have

Another good way to bump the compression up is the addition of the 4g67 head. If you don't want to replace the entire bottom end, the CC's on the 4g67 head are smaller (42 vs 47 for the 4g63) That gives you the same runner size as the 4g63 with more compression. The 4g61 head runs the smaller CC but with smaller ports as well. MY CC on my milled 4g67 head ran 41.1 CC :thumb:

and thats a 2.0L head. i cant remember if thats the other dohc 2.0 or not

Hey guys, quick question. Which turbo cams should I get to gain max power from my n/t while still maintaining everyday drivability (smooth idle mostly)? Stock 4G63Turbo cams, or HKS 264's, or could I even get away with HKS 272's? Please consider that I would have adjustable cam gears, SAFC2, and upgraded fuel injectors and fuel pump plus the required I-H-E upgrades.

Well if you aren't in too big of a hurry, I am currently in the process of putting in the Crower 64415 intake cam while leaving the exhaust cam stock. I am hoping that with this combination the vacuum will still be great enough at idle that it won't be too rough while still giving me the gains at the higher rpm's that I am looking for. I should have everything together within a couple of weeks and then I am sure it will take me a few more to tune it in properly. I will post my results to let everyone know if there was an improvement or not. The specs on the cam are 264 duration and .438 lift...compared to 219 duration and .366 lift on the stock 1g turbo intake cam. This should provide some good gains if everything is dialed in right. :thumb:

na90dsm said:
found out that the 4g64 block with stock pistons and a 4g63 head on it does net a 11:0:1 compression 2.4L dohc motor. pretty kcik ass

Would you have valve/piston interferance with this set up? :confused: :laser:

i have the hks 264 intake cam stock exhaust and i notice a pretty good gain this is just from the butt dyno tho havent taken her in to get the cams adjusted yet tho i will this summer when i have some more money and a few more mods. it moved the power band up about 500 rpm from 3500- about 4000

I did do a search, believe it or not OMG and this seems like the best thread for me to ask this question. I was reading through some of the older posts. So, this is whats been eating me. I have a 1g head thats been ported/polished. I have the hks 264 intake cam as well, would my vacuum be lower with this combination of mods? My vacuum is only about 5in/hg at 900rpms. I have done a boost/vacuum leak test from the uicp to the manifold and to no luck finding anything that would attribute such low vacuum figures :barf: I have a Cyclone intake manifold with replaced gaskets also. My injector o-rings are brand new and are not leaking. My compression was 190psi in the summer, so thats not an issue. I dont have my cams degreed either, they line up at 8*btdc :mad: thats the best i could get them. Im open to any suggestions, as I want all my previous issues resolved when I get my new shortblock... :cool:

this is a long post, but i'm looking for some accurate, solid information and advice.

i've been on the forums for quite some time during the past few days trying to soak up as much information as possible about this topic. i have decided that i want to do something like this with my non-turbo laser. i haven't found anything about this except on this forum. i tried posting in a forum talking about stroking with a turbo and didn't get much help. so i'm reposting here because i think it would be more appreciated by my non-turbocharged peers.

for now, i am SERIOUSLY considering doing this. i believe i have most of the supporting mods or will have them soon and my engine is out of the car, in pieces, and ready to be built.

let me begin with my parts list.

what i have:
k&n filter, hacked maf, solid intake pipe
ngk irridium plugs, 10mm wires
full 2.5" exhaust system with header and cat eliminated
underdriven pulleys and aluminum crank pulley
adjustable cam gears
turbo cams

what's on the way:
stage 1 port/polish head
balance shaft eliminator kit
ported intake
want to port the header to match the new port job

what i will get:
stock turbo injectors (i believe i need a resistor pack from the turbo too)
stock turbo fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
high flow fuel rail
safc2 and pocketlogger stuff

what i need to stroke:
6bolt crank
some block work
pistons
? ? ? ? ?

i don't want to do a bottom end swap. i'm familiar with the 4g63 engine and have all ready spent a lot of money on parts for it. now for the questions:
what else would i need for the stroker kit?
what other supporting modifications would i need to do to make this work if any besides those listed?
which crank should i get?
what is a recommended compression ratio?
what pistons should i get (with CR in mind)?
will my ecu suffice?

keep in mind, i do not have any plans to turbo charge this car and do not want to, and cost is a factor in this project. i welcome and appreciate any answers, suggestions, and advice. if you have constructive criticism or civilized discouragement, i will welcome that too.

thanks in advance.

well, i can't say that i'm surprised that i didn't find much help here either. since the above post of mine, i have changed my mind. i did get a g4cs bottom end and am in the process of going to town on this thing. it's going to be a naturally aspirated beast by the time it's all said and done. i have most of my questions answered thanks to tireless research and a kind sir named sean (aka 2.4 turbo hyped). i should have everything i need to put this project together by the end of may. i hope to have my car back on the road by july.

for right now my only question is this: HAS ANYONE IN THE WORLD EVER DONE A NON-TURBO G4CS HYBRID MOTOR? ANYONE? i can't be the first person to ever actually do this, am i? i mean, i try to get some advice and pointers about specifics; but no one knows the answers. oh sure, they've got the answers, for a turbo application; but mention "non-turbo" and no one knows the answers anymore... what the hell.

i'm documenting and photographing everything i've been doing so far. when i'm all done, i am going to write a how-to/vfaq/tech article. so if anyone else wants to do this i'll be able to help. for now, everything is trial and error and trying to make things work. wish me luck. or continue to ignore me. i don't care. i'm doing this with or without help and blessing. :mad:

man i havent been on in a while.

anyways my project got aborted for now, i got a project thats gonna give me abotu 10g's to mess with when i finish it. anyways im gonan be doin my project . only thing you have to watch for is a few small details. no piston interfereance(spelling), cant go to big with the runner sizes on intake mani or ports on head or you will lose power, and oyu have to watch cause 11:0:1 is safest compression ratio you can run on street

if you gusy have any questions email me cause im nto on here a lot lately so i can get loot for another dsm

[email protected]

ill be glad to answer any questions in any amoutn of detail you wish

anubis said:
this is a long post, but i'm looking for some accurate, solid information and advice.

i've been on the forums for quite some time during the past few days trying to soak up as much information as possible about this topic. i have decided that i want to do something like this with my non-turbo laser. i haven't found anything about this except on this forum. i tried posting in a forum talking about stroking with a turbo and didn't get much help. so i'm reposting here because i think it would be more appreciated by my non-turbocharged peers.

for now, i am SERIOUSLY considering doing this. i believe i have most of the supporting mods or will have them soon and my engine is out of the car, in pieces, and ready to be built.

let me begin with my parts list.

what i have:
k&n filter, hacked maf, solid intake pipe
ngk irridium plugs, 10mm wires
full 2.5" exhaust system with header and cat eliminated
underdriven pulleys and aluminum crank pulley
adjustable cam gears
turbo cams

what's on the way:
stage 1 port/polish head
balance shaft eliminator kit
ported intake
want to port the header to match the new port job

what i will get:
stock turbo injectors (i believe i need a resistor pack from the turbo too)
stock turbo fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
high flow fuel rail
safc2 and pocketlogger stuff

what i need to stroke:
6bolt crank
some block work
pistons
? ? ? ? ?

i don't want to do a bottom end swap. i'm familiar with the 4g63 engine and have all ready spent a lot of money on parts for it. now for the questions:
what else would i need for the stroker kit?
what other supporting modifications would i need to do to make this work if any besides those listed?
which crank should i get?
what is a recommended compression ratio?
what pistons should i get (with CR in mind)?
will my ecu suffice?

keep in mind, i do not have any plans to turbo charge this car and do not want to, and cost is a factor in this project. i welcome and appreciate any answers, suggestions, and advice. if you have constructive criticism or civilized discouragement, i will welcome that too.

thanks in advance.

pm me about this or my post will be 4 times as long

can we keep this one goin??

the most useful n/a thread on tuners. sux man i havent been on herein 5 months

keep what going? the thread or the project? what do you want me to pm you about? i gave up on that project a while ago. i have no interest right now as i don't have the time or money to pursue it any further. please send me that long ass pm that you've been talking about for a while now. i allready said that i wanted to read it. i still fancy the idea of a monster na4g63.

I'm now thinking about doing this as well. I have to do a timing belt soon so I'm thinking I'll likely have the balance shafts removed and at least a new crank pulley put on. Is the crank pulley the same for the N/T as the turbo? I hope because nobody lists one for the n/t. Also are the valves in the n/t the same as the turbo? If so it'll be easy to get a set. Also where do I find that intake pipe? I've been looking around for a while and can't find one.
This build is a serious possibility for me as I'll have around a $5k budget to work with this summer. A built n/a motor would bode well for autox as I won't have turbo lag and the heating issues like before. I'm going to contact Shep Racing to see if they would do some of this work, any suggestions or input is most welcome.

Zero Bar said:
I'm now thinking about doing this as well. I have to do a timing belt soon so I'm thinking I'll likely have the balance shafts removed and at least a new crank pulley put on. Is the crank pulley the same for the N/T as the turbo? I hope because nobody lists one for the n/t. Also are the valves in the n/t the same as the turbo? If so it'll be easy to get a set. Also where do I find that intake pipe? I've been looking around for a while and can't find one.
This build is a serious possibility for me as I'll have around a $5k budget to work with this summer. A built n/a motor would bode well for autox as I won't have turbo lag and the heating issues like before. I'm going to contact Shep Racing to see if they would do some of this work, any suggestions or input is most welcome.

This car is one of the worst choices to auto-x with. This thread is also filled with a lot of incomplete info or complete misinformation so be careful. Call up RRE. Talk to a pro.

I'm not a hater, just realistic.

Megags said:
This car is one of the worst choices to auto-x with. This thread is also filled with a lot of incomplete info or complete misinformation so be careful. Call up RRE. Talk to a pro.

I'm not a hater, just realistic.
I'll disagree with that. It may not be the best choice to autox with but with the right mods these cars can handle well, I know I'm not going to beat up M3's at it but I can have a lot of fun and be competitive on a regional level. Greg Collier is a perfect example of how well these cars can do when done right.
I'm not taking all the info in here to heart, I'll find out for sure about different parts. I'll be talking with Shepherd about the motor and have planned on talking to RRE and others about the chassis. Good looking out though.:thumb:

This may seem dumb, but has anyone ever tried to use an awd car, toss the turbo, & make a BRUTALLY hard launching bottle-rocket? Seems like a fun drag car project. Maybe a 4g64 block, 4g63 head,& tons of nitrous?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back