The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Supercharger

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoonigane

5+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2018
Siauliai, Europe
I know this one looks sketchy as hell but i was thinking if nt cars can only hold around 7 psi of boost wouldnt it be way cheaper to reach it with supercharger? Put it instead of a/c compressor, there is single pulley for it so would it work? Correct me if im wrong but still would need new ecu right?

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-11-14-14-40-50.png
    Capture+_2018-11-14-14-40-50.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 189
Supercharging an n/a car that never had one before can be pretty difficult, and is definitely not what I'd call "easy".

That said, Ive got a back burner project for a supercharged 4g I've been working on as time permits. It's definitely daunting.

If you can fabricate well and have the expendable cash to try things, I say give it a go. @JayRome and @RayPeters both have experience with supercharging 4g motors, and I've seen pics/video of a supercharged 420a around the web, as well as a neon with a 2.4 supercharged setup on their forums.

Well seeing as gst are 10k usd's in here turbo parts are quite expensive. And yea there is only one gst for sale around my country and its 8k euros. But how is bolting on a turbo simpler? You need new harness, new ecu, intercooler, sensors and stuff like that all for 7-10 psi? And supercharger requires non of that seems less complicated. 2.0 liter engine should spin that supercharger easily for 7psi with smallest pulley. Just a thought guys. Also a lot smaller budget it seems. What else would you need without supercharger and tubing to make it work?

Supercharging an n/a car that never had one before can be pretty difficult, and is definitely not what I'd call "easy".

That said, Ive got a back burner project for a supercharged 4g I've been working on as time permits. It's definitely daunting.

If you can fabricate well and have the expendable cash to try things, I say give it a go. @JayRome and @RayPeters both have experience with supercharging 4g motors, and I've seen pics/video of a supercharged 420a around the web, as well as a neon with a 2.4 supercharged setup on their forums.
Did they use new ecus/harness/sensors?

Well seeing as gst are 10k usd's in here turbo parts are quite expensive. And yea there is only one gst for sale around my country and its 8k euros. But how is bolting on a turbo simpler? You need new harness, new ecu, intercooler, sensors and stuff like that all for 7-10 psi? And supercharger requires non of that seems less complicated. 2.0 liter engine should spin that supercharger easily for 7psi with smallest pulley. Just a thought guys. Also a lot smaller budget it seems. What else would you need without supercharger and tubing to make it work?

you need a way to tune it for boost regardless. finding a stock turbo setup w/ ecu is going to be cheaper than buying a engine managment needed to tune. stock parts arent going to be overly expensive if you search.

It takes 2 wires, and an injector resistor plug to turn a non turbo harness into a turbo harness. It's not a big deal. Really in this case since it'll be low boost he could probably just run a turbo bin on a non turbo ecu, find some high impedance injectors and be fine with non turbo ecu. Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Lastly that supercharger is way way to small. That's meant for a 500cc bike engine.

It takes 2 wires, and an injector resistor plug to turn a non turbo harness into a turbo harness. It's not a big deal. Really in this case since it'll be low boost he could probably just run a turbo bin on a non turbo ecu, find some high impedance injectors and be fine with non turbo ecu. Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Lastly that supercharger is way way to small. That's meant for a 500cc bike engine.
I thought so too but they claim its good for 1-2 liter car engines :D

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/the-rise-of-the-sh-missle.515304/

my buddy steves car goes to show that the stock nt engine can take a good amount of power.
Well his car looks sick. Love engine bay too although from pics looks like he went turbo unless he has few of them. Building something like that would be waaay out of my price range :D just looking to push what i can with what i have. Thinking of replacing fuel rail, but i doubt thatll do anything really.

Well his car looks sick. Love engine bay too although from pics looks like he went turbo unless he has few of them. Building something like that would be waaay out of my price range :D just looking to push what i can with what i have. Thinking of replacing fuel rail, but i doubt thatll do anything really.
yea its a turbo car. but its a stock na block and hes running much more than 7psi. i dont think youd have much in doing a stock 14b turbo with a side mount and stock turbo injectors.

Only problem I see with supercharger is the return isn't as big unless it'll be a daily, where the extra tq and throttle response is nice. But without it being properly sized, it will just be a tease.
Also, intercooling. Supercharging makes for crazy high intake temps if you want to run without an Intercooler. My buddies lightning running a tvs2300 from a gt500, with no water in the I/C System, would run 260-275* intake temps. Not good. You can do meth injection, but no one wants to add that on to the already custom setup.

Space is the next concern, so that comes down to fabrication again.

Like I said, I have a setup in the works, but I only work on it in my spare time, which is essentially not at all currently. At some point I'll ditch the mock-up and fab the manifold to proceed with development, but right now it's just ideas I kick around.

Smallest I'd want to go is a Toyota sc14 charger, and it's inefficient as hell. A gm m62 would be better even considering it's small displacement, an m90 even better. You could go for tvs or screw type blowers, but price goes up considerably. And with anything but the Toyota one, size is the consideration.

Only problem I see with supercharger is the return isn't as big unless it'll be a daily, where the extra tq and throttle response is nice. But without it being properly sized, it will just be a tease.
Also, intercooling. Supercharging makes for crazy high intake temps if you want to run without an Intercooler. My buddies lightning running a tvs2300 from a gt500, with no water in the I/C System, would run 260-275* intake temps. Not good. You can do meth injection, but no one wants to add that on to the already custom setup.

Space is the next concern, so that comes down to fabrication again.

Like I said, I have a setup in the works, but I only work on it in my spare time, which is essentially not at all currently. At some point I'll ditch the mock-up and fab the manifold to proceed with development, but right now it's just ideas I kick around.

Smallest I'd want to go is a Toyota sc14 charger, and it's inefficient as hell. A gm m62 would be better even considering it's small displacement, an m90 even better. You could go for tvs or screw type blowers, but price goes up considerably. And with anything but the Toyota one, size is the consideration.
Where you planning on bolting it? And sc usually take less space than turbos.

Where you planning on bolting it? And sc usually take less space than turbos.

I may post some pics of the design at some point.

Space is all dependant on how you want to set the system up and have it perform.

Non-intercooled? Easier by far, but lacking the performance of most basic turbo setups. Could mount the sc14 in place of the factory a/c with some creativity.
If you add some form of intercooling, then space and mounting become the biggest problem. If you can easily fabricate, then the degree of difficulty would reduce, but cost may increase as well as system complexity.

Low mounting a s/c on a 4g motor is difficult due to motor mount, starter and intake manifold location, and front/high mounting is even more difficult due to space restraints and impractical locations (over the exhaust :notgood:). Then add in belt drive routing etc.

It's going to take considerable work, and generally a turbo will take up the same or less room due to the orientation of the stock system. You could always do a g4js/Evo head swap and have the supercharger front mounted, but that's a whole new bag of custom fab worms.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back