The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

straight pipe = more gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper-97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2010
San Fernando, California
So i finally got my car running again, now im thinking of putting in a straight pipe. i had a friend mentioned it will kill my gas twice as fast...any truth to that? im sure the car will run sweet with it. im not worried about passing smog, got that part locked in. thoughts and opinions please!

The only thing it'll do is make your car very loud and annoying, but hey, your car not mine, if you like it, then go for it!

bigger exhaust like 3 inch and tubular manifold or ported will up the power but just few most likely not even noticeable

Exhaust on an FI car can net some nice gains, ignoring the manifold, you can see up to 50 WHP on a well modded car from exhaust.

A straight pipe alone won't do much, but it shouldn't hurt fuel economy either unless your foot gets heavier..

Like any exhaust upgrade you will see more mpg (if you drive the same, not beating on it all the time) because there is less restriction. Therefore the motor doesn't have to work as hard = less fuel burned. That being said, i don't know if it will be that noticeable if your just removing the cat, but it definitely won't hurt mpgs

well i already have a 3' exhaust and a tubelar exhaust manifold, (should update my profile) thats the reason i was thinking of doing it. a buddy of mine metioned that the 2nd o2 sensor after the cat will make me waste the extra gas

The 2nd O2 sensor in our cars doesn't affect fuel trims, it only checks the cat's function.

well i already have a 3' exhaust and a tubelar exhaust manifold, (should update my profile) thats the reason i was thinking of doing it. a buddy of mine metioned that the 2nd o2 sensor after the cat will make me waste the extra gas

the second o2 sensor should be right on the downpipe

No, it shouldn't. The first is in the O2 housing, the second is after the cat.

Exhaust on an FI car can net some nice gains, ignoring the manifold, you can see up to 50 WHP on a well modded car from exhaust.
A straight pipe alone won't do much, but it shouldn't hurt fuel economy either unless your foot gets heavier..
Exactly.:thumb: And your foot could get heavier as the exhaust tone can become intoxicating for some.:D

Like any exhaust upgrade you will see more mpg (if you drive the same, not beating on it all the time) because there is less restriction. Therefore the motor doesn't have to work as hard = less fuel burned. That being said, i don't know if it will be that noticeable if your just removing the cat, but it definitely won't hurt mpgs
Yes... definitely.:thumb:

Well then, what are you waiting for??:sneaky:

P.S. Quit listening to your buddy. He might mean well, but......

No, it shouldn't. The first is in the O2 housing, the second is after the cat.

WHAT umm on my 1990 i have o2 on the downpipe i dont have a cat. And on my 97gst i had an o2 on the o2 housing right after turbo and o2 on the downpipe also with no cat on the car

WHAT umm on my 1990 i have o2 on the downpipe i dont have a cat. And on my 97gst i had an o2 on the o2 housing right after turbo and o2 on the downpipe also with no cat on the car
We're talking stock. If you didn't have a cat why did you have a second O2 sensor?

o2 for ecu and o2 for wideband

... You don't think you should specify what you're talking about when we're discussing stock O2 sensor configurations and you want to add a completely useless comment that's contrary to the actual configuration?

Its gonna be really loud and can get annoying, Ive never heard of it effecting mileage, When i got my 3 inch, I got some boost creep, thats about the only difference "performance" wise

Running cat delete here...

I would say no to the lose of MPGs.
But i lost a few because i find myself on it more just to hear the exhaust. :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back