1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Something fell off while transfer case was removed.

Posted by savethehair, Sep 13, 2018

Please Support JNZ Tuning
  1. savethehair

savethehair Probationary Member

Joined May 22, 2018
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I'm in the process of replacing my oil pan on my '97 talon tsi and right now I have the transfer case off. While I was waiting for my new oil pan to come in I, without thinking, hopped in my car and slipped the shift knob back and forth a little in neutral and heard what sounded like a washer fall to the ground. I looked thoroughly on the ground under my car and near where the transfer case was taken off but couldn't find anything. Could something have fallen off of my shift linkage or the spindle that's exposed after taking off my transfer case? I'm not sure what it was or where it would've fallen too. Anybody that could help me understand what happened would be appreciated.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Well what else was loose? There is nothing from tcase or trans that is loose just from tcase removal. So....youre going to have to answer this as we dont know what else you have removed at the moment

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  3. savethehair

savethehair Probationary Member

Joined May 22, 2018
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Well I shall do some more poking around tomorrow, just wanted to see if there was a straight cut answer that after a tcase removal something would be freed up to be more prone to dropping out or something.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  4. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    Could very well be one of the many missing 10mm sockets :D!

I mean I'm shooting blind here but if it *was* something related to the transfer case, maybe the previous owner used a washer/spacer somewhere for some reason, or maybe a helicoil in one of the bolt holes on the tranny side? You never know what people have done. Otherwise like Pauleyman said, nothing should really fall off like that during T-case removal.

Could just have been a random bolt/washer or little thing stuck in there.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14.769 @ 92.22 MPH
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I can't think of anything. As previously stated, lot's of stuff go missing in the sub frame and engine bay then fall out years later.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  6. gsxitement

gsxitement Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    staten island, New York
    Make sure that one of the locating dowels didn't fall out. Never really seen that happen, but there's a first time for everything LOL.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

11.930 @ 119.000 MPH