1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Solid bar suspension

Posted by 914 Cheeko, Nov 7, 2018

Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. 914 Cheeko

914 Cheeko Probationary Member

Joined Jul 10, 2018
    Newtown, Connecticut
    What if someone were to just replace their suspension with solid bars rather than coilovers/shocks for a race-only car? It would be the stiffest suspension possible, as well as reduce the weight of the car slightly. Would it be worth it for the cornering? Would there be any pros to using this? The cons are obvious; low traction, extremely harsh ride quality, and possibly damage to other components of the car. What type of racing, if any, would it be useful in?

My DSM:
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Pretty sure it would accomplish nothing but broken welds and damage to the rest of the vehicle..

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual
  3. streetraceboi

streetraceboi Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Why would anyone want to do that?

4. b00st3d

b00st3d Freelancer

Joined Jan 13, 2005
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Having ZERO suspension travel would be bad. It would make for a very harsh ride and it would lessen the cornering ability. Ever driven a gocart? Remember how easy it is to spin one out? Just now you have much more momentum and it's gonna hurt worse.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Drag Race Build

GT40   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

50trim   automatic
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

11.28 @ 126.86 MPH
  5. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    The only racing I could see it being useful in would be a sled pull truck or tractor. That's it

6. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Want to feel what this is like? Riding an old wooden cart with just wheels attached to spindles gives the same feeling.

The car would bounce all over the place and every tiny little bump, losing Tire contact with the road, resulting in zero traction, resulting in broken stuff or a car that goes into the wall and is terrifying and uncomfortable to drive. Lack of travel or range of motion through this suspension would also result in terrifying cornering sequences, due to change in contact patch pattern, resulting in even less traction combined with the pumps.

At the very minimum you would want some kind of rubber bushing to absorb some of the impact, but that's still going to suck massively.

May I ask what raises this question?

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
  7. gsxitement

gsxitement Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    staten island, New York
    Yeah this would be a bad idea. Some suspension travel is definitely needed. The go kart analogy is fairly accurate, but a go kart would actually have more suspension action than this. A karts chassis isn't connected in the back by a tube. But a piece of flat bar that actually tunes the flex of the chassis. But with a car, literally the only suspension travel would by the sidewall of the tires flexing. And wherever the chassis breaks LOL. Definitely no motorsport where this would be beneficial.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

11.930 @ 119.000 MPH