1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G So I went and re-invented the Wheel........................(Bearing)

Posted by ec17pse, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Please Support VR Speed Factory
  1. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Hello Everyone, Hope you liked my title! haha, hopefully its catchy and gets your attention to read about this amazing item ive been working on!

I have been working on and off this project for sometime now and its still early days in design and development but its pretty close to being complete and how I want it to be, NOTE, this is just a mock up from an oem housing with my internal sleeve to replicate what one might look like at the end, (much nicer looking mine will be and a nice protective coating)

my plan is to use a high grade steel, perhaps a Chromoly EN19T or EN24T, this keeps strength up and will take the hardest of abuse going! a 2 or 3 slit grooved will be added to use internal bearing pullers for replacement so its a re-useable housing, no point in making something thats a one shot use right!!! LOL

bearings are modified by a company to my specification, their job is bearings and housings so what better place to have expert work done by, bearings will be covered with Nilos double seals to keep grease in and dirt and grit out,

I wanted to develop this as I want to do racing and not have to worry about bearings killing them selfs! and I know some go through wheel bearings alot when road racing, Also ceramic only does so much over the heat vs design point of view, this will cure these issues for the most part, the axial loads these tapered bearings will take is ALOT higher then the standard deep groove ball bearings.

this dont compromise on thrust either as its tapered you gain strength in all directions! its also alot better wearing and to some degree maintainable and with inspection and re-greasing can last along time! even if installed and left and raced it will still out last an oem wheel bearing!

of course with these it comes at a addition of proper install! it has to be set with the correct deflection or (play), ideally once set it should stay and be fine but can be adjusted and checked to keep maximum life of the bearing and housing!

when I get around to making a proper set ( have to be 5 Axis CNC machined to precise machining of both bearing faces ) I will get a set working on the car, may take some time as its not going to be cheap as a one off test set! but I will get there hopefully early next year, just gotta save some money for them LOL.

anyway, thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed looking at these,

Bobby

44041523_10161215673171337_2616538778742816768_n.jpg 43877823_10161215674166337_5977626862849884160_n.jpg 43788137_10161215674736337_8958862391416717312_n.jpg

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Road Race Build

175 whp   180.1 lb/ft

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors