The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Silicon radiator hose look for 420a engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperhemi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
White Plains, Maryland
Hi folks....., In another thread I was asking about who makes and where to find red silicone radiator hoses for the 420a engine. (If you responded to that thread..THANKS!!!) Only 1 brand was readily available but I wasnt too thrilled with what I've read about them so I decided to make my own hoses. Not 100% silicone but they are original quality with the look I was going for- What do you guys think?

Attachments

• radiator hoses.jpg
    radiator hoses.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 327
Looks like red electrical tape, and if I'm right it will probly start to peel. Looks pretty good though.

These are rubber replacements wrapped with a self bonding silicon tape I bought from a hardware store. The wrap is mainly used for quick repairs but I just wrapped both of the hoses completely. Once you wrap a section....it on there! They werent joking when they said quick self bonding. Might put on another layer!The hoses just feel better even after 1 layer. Tape comes in black, white, red and green that ive seen so far.

I still have the package and all if you guys would like to see the brand and the roll etc. I thought it would be a cool thing to try!

How do they hold up in the engine bay?
If they can last a while it might really be worth doing.

How much was the silicone "tape"?

$6 per roll. They are 1 inch wide by 8 ft long per roll. Cool thing is that it stretches twice its length so technically a 16ft roll. Stretch as your wrapping to keep it tight and bonds best. Just finished it before I posted the first picture so we will see how it works soon. I will put the package photo up here in a few minutes.

Here you guys are! This is what i bought if you want to look into it-:sneaky:

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 293
SAMCO is what I was going for but everyone who could get them said they were atleast 6 weeks to get. I needed new hoses very soon so i got creative. Still would like to have SAMCOS!!!

SAMCO is what I was going for but everyone who could get them said they were atleast 6 weeks to get. I needed new hoses very soon so i got creative. Still would like to have SAMCOS!!!
Those rubber hoses you wrapped will last years, hopefully that tape you wrapped them with lasts 6 weeks. It was a good idea and hopefully it works out for you, I've got a roll of that stuff in my car to fix rubber coolant lines when the split and it fixes the leak to get me home. Not sure how long it lasts though since I replaced the hose immediately...

:dsm:

I think they look fine. Let us know how well they stand up to the elements over time. I think for the objective you set out for, you achieved your objective.

Well here you go guys. Nevermind the dirty engine or the paint coming off the radiator but the silicon wrapped hoses are holding up really well! I'm impressed with the wrap. Its has been between 85 and 95 degrees in my area and we have driven the car a lot. Hoses still look like they did when I first made them! :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 298
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back