The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shifter Cables Install Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TjPhillips36 was talking about the part that's bolted to the trans. Does yours look bent? And just out of curiosity, try reinstalling the old cable even though it's broken and see what happens.

I'm about ready to drive up there and take a look at this myself :p

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i know what he was talking about, thats what I was talking about too.

The cable that I broke is the one that puts the tranny in and out of gears, the cable that im having problems with now is the one that allows you to move side to side in neutral.

Eric, I just tried that before evening reading this. I installed the old one and the same thing is happening??
WTF is going on here!!!
The broken cable worked before?
If your willing to drive down here to help me out It would be much appreciated. Im stuck right now, I have no idea what to do next. I tried everything possible.

I'm stumped, either your installing the cable wrong somehow, which I really doubt you are, or it's getting caught up on something not so obvious?

I'll keep thinking, but I think I'm out of ideas. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help out :sosad:

At this point im just frustrated because I dont know what to do next, im stumped too...
There is only one way to hook the lines up, so Im not sure how I could be doing it wrong?

I really have no idea what do about this....its so frustrating that something so simple isnt working out for me.

Im even more boggled that I installed the broken cable and its still happening!
I just want to KNOW whats wrong so I can fix it.

Necroing the thread for the solution in case someone googles this like i did, with the exact same issue, to no avail. Here's what worked for me.

There's a retaining clip on the shift cable line that "wedges" around the ends of the cable(there's a little divot to accompany this "wedge") When that becomes TOO tight, it'll cut off the ability to move through that gap, ESPECIALLY if you don't have perfectly straight lengthened cable management.

tl;dr FIX Take the wedge out and find some other way to keep it in there. ezpz

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back