The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Shifter Cables Install Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin98

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2004
Easton, Pennsylvania
I really just want to snap right now!

I spent almost 4 hours trying to install the shifter cables and cant figure it out for the life of me!

I tried every single possible way and I just cant seem to get them to fit right. I dont understand what Im doing wrong here. This should be SIMPLE!!!

Can someone tell me by looking at their car, do the cables criss cross after they come out of the firewall? Or do they come straight out parrallel to each other right to the tranny?
I thought they came straight out, but then if I hook them up parrallel in the cabin, I cant get them to fit. Then if I cross them on the outside and inside they dont fit either! And trying to cross the inside and run the outside parrallel doesnt work either.
Can someone please help me out here, im going nuts trying to figure this out

Can someone check to see if this is the right part number MD770982 for a 98 GST.

I searched and found that 2g cables are not adjustable so Im not sure why this is so difficult.

The cabin end of the cables, one has a black end and one has a white end. Which ones go where on the shifter? Im pretty sure I remember the black on going on the bottom stud and the white one going on the stud that comes off the shifter higher up. Is this correct?

The shifter cables never criss cross inside the car or in the engine bay. Your part number is correct. The black part goes on the top (cable sits on the right) and the white part goes on the bottom (cable sits on the left).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got to my house and realized that the way you told me to hook them up is the last way I tried last night.
I had the inside hooked up like the picture you posted and the engine bay hooked up without the cables crossed.
That way the ONLY way I could actually get everything hooked up, but once I did, the shifter was ridiculously tight and I could get it in any gear and it barely moved. :confused:

Everything should be good just like turbosax2 sayd if you want i can take pics of my cables tommorow my car is a part right now but my cables and tranny are still in the car ..

Pictures would be great if you dont mind.

I just disconnected everything and reconnected it all and Im having the same problem as before.
The cable that allows you to move the shifter from side to side is stuck and wont move at all when its hooked up. As soon as I disconnect it the cable moves in and out like it should. I thought maybe I broke something in the tranny and its not allowing it to move, but that makes no sense because it shifted fine with the broken cable in. I just couldnt get it into 2nd, unless I downshifted.
The cable that goes in and out of gears is working fine from the way it looks.

I just dont understand why the side to side cable isnt working? It looks like its stuck all the way to the right and I cant get it over to the left towards 1st gear at all.

IM LOST :confused:

Ok with none of the cables crossed I cant get any movement in neutral at all??

I removed the cables off the tranny and I can shift the tranny into every gear. The neutral shaft also have alot more play in it when nothing is hooked up to it. As soon as I hook the cable up and try and move it inside the car, the neutral shaft on the tranny doesnt move at all :confused:

So without the cables hooked up to the tranny, if I move the shifter, both cables move in and out like they should.
Also, without the cables hooked up, the tranny shifts into every gear by hand and neutral has free play.
As soon as I hook up cables, everything gets stiff? :confused:

Yes, that picture makes it seem like the cables are crossed. They're not really crossed though, the one cable is just sitting on top of the other. Here are some more pictures for you. You can see the cable with the white end has the bulky part on it inside the cabin so they don't criss cross.

Eric,
Thanks for all the pictures but something is def wrong here!
I compared the old to the new cable 20x's and stared at these cables alot, thats not helping at all LOL
I have it set up exactly how your telling me to, and its still not working...:confused:
Have you ever installed these cables? Im assuming you have since you have pictures of them outside the car.

I asssumed the picture just made it look like they were crossed because if they were nothing would hook up.
I keep thinking its my tranny, but thats impossible since everything worked fine with the old broken cable.
It has to be something im doing wrong...

Sorry, I haven't installed them. I just removed them 2 days ago, but everything is out of my engine bay and interior.

OK so I called extremepsi, they never heard of the problem Im having?

I also called shep and he never heard of the problem. He said it makes no sense that the tranny shifts through gears without the cables hooked up and the cables move fine not hooked up but as soon as they are hooked up nothing works right.

Im LOST!!!! Any Ideas??? :confused::confused:

I am having the same exact issue with my 91, I just ordered a set from Extremepsi and got them today, they are for 90-93. So i tried them on my 91, didnt work, then I put them in my friends 91 and his 92 and still nothing worked for me. We laid the originals next to each other and they are different lengths, so on Monday I will attempt to put his 91 cables in my 91 and see how that works out. Weird though that the day I get mine and you said you called Extreme and they said they had never heard of this before, sure enough we both have the same problem. I will call them on Monday too if I dont figure it out. Mine is part#- MIT-MB659866

I got part # MB910542 for a 95-99 Eclipse Turbo, ExtremePSi's part # is something different?
MB659866 for 90-93

I'd say you have the wrong part, one of the cables has to be either slightly to long or slightly too short, have you placed the cables down next to each other and compared each of their lengths?

Where did you come up with MB910542? When I click on the part in CAPS I get MD770982. However, when I put MB910542 in manually, CAPS recognizes the part number but they both have the same PNC number. The only difference is MB910542 doesn't show a quantity. This is weird.

Yes I placed both cables next to each other and they look exactly the same to me.
Im HOPING that the new cable will work and solve this headache of mine!

Thanks for all you help/input guys! :thumb:

Where did you come up with MB910542? When I click on the part in CAPS I get MD770982. However, when I put MB910542 in manually, CAPS recognizes the part number but they both have the same PNC number. The only difference is MB910542 doesn't show a quantity. This is weird.

It was weird for me too, as I looked the part up manually, then came up asking for a year, their were 2 options, 94-99, and then a 96 option. I never tried the 96 option but when I clicked on the 94-99 option I got part # MB910542. Then I tried finding MD770982 but couldn't using the diagram, but it would recognize it when I manually entered the part #.

I highly doubt that, especially since Extreme lists the part number on the products page.

I would say their is a possibility, I would measure each cable, the old and new, instead of just comparing and looking at them, and see if that is whats wrong. It seems as though one cable is either slightly longer or slightly shorter than it should be?

The reason I dont think so is because I can get the cables into the clamps where they need to be. Once they are in, the only thing that moves is the cable inside the outer cable, which extends and contracts and works perfectly fine.

I just got the new cable and Im going to try that one and post the results.

Maybe it's possible you bent the piece that the cables connect too on the transmission when the cable broke?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back