The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Servicing your HVAC box (blend doors)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tired of air coming in through your vents while you're going down the road even though your blower is turned off?
What about tiny brown foam particles coming out of the vents every time you switch from fresh to recirc? This walk-through will help address blend doors that no longer seal due to deteriorated foam inside the air box. The pictures will show step-by-step instructions for disassembling and servicing one set of doors, but the techniques can be applied to the other doors in the system.

I have omitted instructions on dash and air box removal, as it has been covered before on different tech articles.

After you have removed the rightmost section of the air box (the section with the blower motor attached) you'll need to start disassembly. It is not necessary to remove the linkages or the blower motor. I removed my blower to clean out any leaves and debris.

Once it's on the table, and the blower is removed, it should look something like this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To disassemble, you'll need to remove (4) screws, and one metal clip that hold the two halves together. In this picture, you can see the nasty brown blend doors through the hole. Next you'll need to remove that metal plate. It's held in by (1) Phillips head screw. (one of my doors has already been removed in this pic. I threw it back together to take the picture.)

Now, you'll be able to remove the two blend doors. These are the doors that switch when you select between fresh and recirc. Each door is held on by (2) Phillips screws. Be careful, as these are quick to strip. At this point, you'll probably notice that the foam is falling apart with very little effort.

I used a razor blade to scrape the old foam off of mine. Very little effort required here. I didn't go all out with cleaning them. We are going to be covering them back up, so I didn't worry too much about it.

After a quick cleaning of both sides, you should have something that looks like this.

I used some packing foam that I had at work. It's about 8mm thick. Any open cell foam will work for this, you just don't need to use anything too thick. After using some brake cleaner and a rag to clean the doors, I used some 3M spray adhesive, then applied the foam. I left them sitting for several hours under a box so the foam wouldn't peel back before the adhesive dried. Trim the foam and reinstall doors.

Check for proper operation. They should move smoothly. Any binding at this point could result in damaged control cables down the road. After you're satisfied, reassemble everything and reinstall in the car.

Hope this was helpful!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back