The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

seriously in need of help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmechris

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2012
spencer, Massachusetts
Hey guys I'm seriously in need of help from someone who knows about 2Gs, every garage I've been to I've been screwed over to the point that I don't want.that car anymore. I've had the car for 2 years and only put 2k miles on the car. A month and a half of owning the car the transmission went so I had it replaced, got screwed and ever since then my car always stalls on me when coming to stops, in colder weather it doesn't.start. I've put so much money into this car and I'm ashamed to say amount. Every garage I brought it to said it's this and that and oh hey it's this too. Someone please help me out by taking time to look at my car. I can pay someone something reasonable I'm just done with mechanics.

Car: 95 eclipse Gs non turbo automatic

After the car is warm, what's it's idle speed in Neutral?
Also check your intake for leaks. If you have a leak (be that a hole, a crack, a gap, or any other) the air will go in there, bypassing the air flow sensor. Since the engine does not know that 'extra' air is there, it won't compensate for it and will run much leaner than need be. That will cause the engine to lack power and stall unless revved up.

After the car is warm, what's it's idle speed in Neutral?
Also check your intake for leaks. If you have a leak (be that a hole, a crack, a gap, or any other) the air will go in there, bypassing the air flow sensor. Since the engine does not know that 'extra' air is there, it won't compensate for it and will run much leaner than need be. That will cause the engine to lack power and stall unless revved up.
In neutral it's at 1100, I'll check for leaks in the morning. Also a friend told me to try spraying starting fluid in the throttle body then try staying it, it gets it to start but very ruff. I need to keep the engine revving for a couple minutes before it will stay running.

Idle is a bit high. Usually it should be around 700-750.
Was told to never use starting fluid to start a gas engine since it can cause damage if too much is sprayed. However, you can use the fluid to check for leaks. After the car is running, spray a small amount on each connection in the intake. Spray and listen. If there is a leak, the fluid will get sucked into the engine and it will rev up for just a second.
If there are no leaks in the intake pipe or it's connections, take a look at the vacuum lines. Sometimes if one is cracked or missing it will do basically same thing as damaged intake.

Idle is a bit high. Usually it should be around 700-750.
Was told to never use starting fluid to start a gas engine since it can cause damage if too much is sprayed. However, you can use the fluid to check for leaks. After the car is running, spray a small amount on each connection in the intake. Spray and listen. If there is a leak, the fluid will get sucked into the engine and it will rev up for just a second.
If there are no leaks in the intake pipe or it's connections, take a look at the vacuum lines. Sometimes if one is cracked or missing it will do basically same thing as damaged intake.
I only sprayed a little bit to try it out. I'll try checking for leaks in the morning and let you know if I find anything. Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated

Also when I try scanning my car for coded it detects the obd scanner for a second then it doesn't, was told I needed a new ecm. Does that sound right?

Not sure if you'll need an entire new ECU (or ECM), could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere causing the scanner to not work. Either way, don't spend the money on the new one just yet unless you can find one cheap at a junk yard like a Pull-a-part or You-pull-it. Let's work on one problem at a time :)

Not sure if you'll need an entire new ECU (or ECM), could be as simple as a bad connection somewhere causing the scanner to not work. Either way, don't spend the money on the new one just yet unless you can find one cheap at a junk yard like a Pull-a-part or You-pull-it. Let's work on one problem at a time :)

Hey sorry for the late reply. I've bee. Trying to start my car for the last week with no luck so I'm bringing it in the shop on Thursday and having them go through the while car and I'll fix everything they find bad.

So I talked to the garage, their like I'm sorry but you need no bring your car to a performance shop... FML

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back