The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G S369 SX-E Anybody Run One!??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1slowhatch

Proven Member
Mar 5, 2014
Reno, Nevada
Still working on my car after the rod failure. Just out of curiosity, has anyone run the T3 Borg Warner S369 SX-E that forced performance is selling? Looks like an awesome, inexpensive option for those 800+ WHP guys. 99 lb/min. Wondering how slow the spool would be. It'd be on my auto car, so I'm sure I'd need a pretty loose converter.

I'm putting a built motor in it, so I'm thinking I should probably get more serious with the turbo (HY35 now).

Very laggy. Single-scroll T3 housing with an 80/73mm turbine which is 4mm larger on the inducer and 6mm larger on the exducer than the Super 99. So I'd say this would be a race-only turbo for sure as the powerband would be completely unusable on the street.

What would you recommend for an upgrade over my HY35? I hurt the stock motor with nitrous stalling it up. I'm thinking going bigger while it's apart getting a built motor. HE351CW? HX40 Super with a T3 housing?

HE351 is the same as what you have now with a bigger compressor....that's a bad idea.

Full HX40 wouldn't be too bad- if you're able to find one in a .70 BEP housing that would be your best bet for balancing spool and flow on that particular setup. Going larger on the turbine housing would hurt spool to gain turbine flow that you may not put to use.

Very laggy. Single-scroll T3 housing with an 80/73mm turbine which is 4mm larger on the inducer and 6mm larger on the exducer than the Super 99. So I'd say this would be a race-only turbo for sure as the powerband would be completely unusable on the street.

I'm in the process of putting a 362sx-e on my car. I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm curious to see how those work. Which turbine wheel and exhaust housing?

What are your goals? You need to be specific with an auto car because the turbo, converter, cams, and intake need to be matched.

I'm at higher elevation (4500 ft) but air density usually in the 6000' plus range (slower than Denver). I think this is making it a lot harder for me to see the airflow #'s that others are at sea level.

The HY35 that's on the car now has only produced a max of 42 lbs/min in super cold weather at 27 psi. Obviously cams should help, but I can see the HY35 will probably not provide the power I'm looking for. I'd like to run deep 10's full weight on street tires. Not sure what kind of power that would take, maybe 550 awhp?

I'm thinking a piston/rod stock bore 2.0. Aggressive 272 or 280 cams (probably Kelford) or regrind copies, near stock compression, stock intake manifold, possibly a bigger throttle body.

Not sure what converter to use, I've seen Precision, Bradco, IPT restalls, etc. I want it to be relatively streetable. I can spray to get it on the converter if 100% necessary, although that is how I destroyed the stock engine.

There are a about 2 evos on the evo forum using them one has a 369 and a the other has a 364. They are both at full spool around 5500rpm in 3rd gear in a manual transmission. But they are also both using the t4 twin scroll turbine housing, they are on the evolutionm forum

My setup should be driving in a week or two. Won't be able to have fun until April though since a certain clutch company started the year with 0 inventory on the 6 bolt awd twin discs.

Attachments

• 20170205_164759.jpg
    20170205_164759.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 462
What do you think about a 6262 or 6266 Precision?
I don't think very highly of Precision at all.
I'm in the process of putting a 362sx-e on my car. I'll let you know how it works out.
That's a good choice, too- appears the biggest compressor BW currently offers with the smaller 76/68mm turbine is the 364.5.

That's a good choice, too- appears the biggest compressor BW currently offers with the smaller 76/68mm turbine is the 364.5.
The precision stuff makes a ton of power with good spool, they just dont seem to hold up.

I wonder how many turbos their record setting sponsored cars go through that we dont hear about?

I wonder how many turbos their record setting sponsored cars go through that we dont hear about?
Exactly. The general public sure seems to have hit-or-miss reliability...I just don't see what you're getting for your money with them anymore with the Borgs and GTW Garretts around for less money with parts readily available at any dealer versus sending it back to Precision any time wheel damage occurs because they don't sell parts to the public.

I have my 6466 for 3 years now with no problems. I'm running this turbo @ 44 psi , i use t4 ts 1.15 housing 44 psi hits @ 6k (I'm 2.3)
A turbine housing that large is substantially better for the turbo than a .63 or .82 on the same unit, though.

I've already pulled down 6766's in T3 housings that had the turbine heat shield bent inward to the point it touched the bearing housing from the ridiculous amount of heat and turbine backpressure caused by the housing being undersized for the application. So they built a turbo with a compressor wheel that favors boost above 40psi then sent it out the door with a .63 a/r turbine housing on it, and the owner can't keep from wiping the tension out of the turbine sealing ring and smoking/consuming oil as a result.

In a situation like that, they'd keep rebuilding it and charging the owner for the repair due to an "oiling problem" without ever really fixing the problem. That's what I dislike most about PTE....their proven consistency for putting turbo setups together that don't work and they just keep doing it over and over and over.

At some point, 100% of DSM-flanged PTE turbos with the 62mm T350 turbine wheel will suffer total inducer erosion no matter what compressor it has on it- yet all of the units with T31 and T327 turbines never have the same issue. The reason there is by increasing the turbine wheel size to the point that the inducer tip protrudes entirely into the nozzle area of the housing and no longer permits the exhaust flow to "bypass", you've created an overspeed situation because no matter how large the compressor is the turbine can only flow so much due to the size of the housing at the nozzle area. So by jamming 1600*f exhaust into a tiny funnel and aiming it directly at the turbine inducer tips of the turbine wheel, you basically turned the turbine housing into a plasma cutter. Now I can't be the only person to notice this issue pertaining to only one specific turbine wheel in one specific turbine housing when they have an entire R&D department....yet PTE continues to sell DSM-flanged turbos with 62mm turbines in their catalog to this day. So unless you actually *fix* the cause, you're going to keep having reliability issues....exactly what I stated above.

We melted the inducer on a 6466 running 40psi (really hard to do at 6000ft). We were using a .82 T3 housing. There was no indication any material or debris when through the exhaust. Very low mileage on the turbo. It was all in at 530hp uncorrected on the mustang dyno we use. The car went 10.4@142 (2380lb race weight). Same turbo with a vband(small housing )housing went all in over 40psi and made 560-570hp uncorrected. Same deal. Torched the turbine wheel.

My friend is convinced he wants to runs this sx-e 369. I am not sure what to expect from this turbo. Hoping to have it in hand in the next 45 days and our half mile race is in June. I would rather stick with a conventional gt42 type turbo but, he wants a faster spoiling turbo. I certainly don't think it is going to make the power that the marketing says it can do. We will see soon enough I suppose. We will be running the open .88 T4 housing.

Before I have switched to 6466 t4 ts I was running 6266 in 0.82 ar for 4 years & must say that turbo looks the same as the day I got it . Again I was boosting 42-44 psi & on occasions 50 psi . I just don't have problems with pte , maybe cause both of them are dbb gen 2 turbos . I also have t4 ts 0.32 housing that I have tested & I only lost 200-300 rpm in spool up .

Attachments

• 1.15&1.32 AR HOUSING (Small).jpg
    1.15&1.32 AR HOUSING (Small).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 103

Thanks, agreed on the PTE quality. I stay away from those. (Almost got nailed with a turbine wheel (from a 7285 IIRC) that shot out of a car at WCF in Maryland while in line to get beer)
I wanted something durable, had a broad powerband and was cost effective. Borg seemed to be the way to go, I'm excited to see how it performs though my only concern is the .82 t3 housing I have on it choking it before I can make any real power.

What are your goals? You need to be specific with an auto car because the turbo, converter, cams, and intake need to be matched.
I wanna know more on this

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back