The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Running no BOV or recirculating valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technically the throttle blade would have just as much air pushing it closed as it does pushing it open.
An on center throttle blade should be fairly balanced with the spring creating a bias towards staying closed.
The throttle blade can't simply blow open from airflow unless it was hinged like a door on one side.
If you let off the throttle pedal at any point the throttle is going to close unless something is wrong.

Technically the throttle blade would have just as much air pushing it closed as it does pushing it open.
An on center throttle blade should be fairly balanced with the spring creating a bias towards staying closed.
The throttle blade can't simply blow open from airflow unless it was hinged like a door on one side.
If you let off the throttle pedal at any point the throttle is going to close unless something is wrong.

Was just going to iterate this, now I don't need to. Imagine 20+ psi hitting some of the motorcycle sliding throttle plates. I see similar carnage for that scenario.

Let's all just assume that running no bov won't damage the turbo or any other components.

Now, what are the claimed benefits for not running one? In fact it could be hurting performance, for all we know. Without data to support either side of the argument no one will ever really know.

Someone should go test this out.

Running no bov slows respool.

I have logs somewhere. One of my cars came with an hks bov that stopped working slowly over time. I replaced it with a new tial. Respool didn’t just get a little quicker either, it was extremely noticeable.

If you have a bov your shaft speed can stay higher during shifts because the compressor isn’t stalling.

Running no bov slows respool.

I have logs somewhere. One of my cars came with an hks bov that stopped working slowly over time. I replaced it with a new tial. Respool didn’t just get a little quicker either, it was extremely noticeable.

If you have a bov your shaft speed can stay higher during shifts because the compressor isn’t stalling.
This boost recovery is higher because the excess pressure has been dumped rather than building up in the charge pipe and forcing the compressor to slow because of it.
I don't understand this debate it makes perfect sense it happens in every system whether its hydraulic electrical or pneumatic. When your at high flow and abruptly stop flow there's a pressure spike. That's why relays have balancing diodes same with capacitors, hydraulic systems usually have an accumulator and hell even in residential plumbing its recommended to use arrestors to prevent water hammering in the supply lines to wash machines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back