The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] 5th Gear Pops Out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramirj10

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2007
cartersville, Georgia
Hello guys i just finished replacing the clutch on my talon it shifts fine and everything but when im on the freeway 5th gear pops out when i let go of the gas. I also noticed it has a small movement on the shifter assy like if something was a little loose it did that before but it never popped out of gear. Any of you guys had this issue before? is so i would greatly appreciate the input......thanks.:thumb:

damn guys i saw the illustration this will defenitely work thank you for the input and ill keep you guys posted i guess i didn't find the thread cause I spelled 5th but anyways thank you for you help "killa"---peace out----

Hello guys well just wanted to let you all know i did tighten the big nut and it looks like it did solve the issue thanks for all your help it simplified my problem tremendously. The only problem now is that while driving the car to test it on the freeway i it a small piece of metal and it made a dime sized hole in the transmission case :( damn just my luck... now I have to find a way to plug it up..

Hello guys well just wanted to let you all know i did tighten the big nut and it looks like it did solve the issue thanks for all your help it simplified my problem tremendously. The only problem now is that while driving the car to test it on the freeway i it a small piece of metal and it made a dime sized hole in the transmission case :( damn just my luck... now I have to find a way to plug it up..

Glad to hear it solved your problem but damn... sorry to hear about the hole in your tranny now OMG:ohdamn:

The funny thing about this problem is that when I just re-built my tranny over this spring, I never had any shifting issues with 5th gear. But when I started tearing the tranny apart, both the input shaft and intermediate shaft lock nuts were finger loose. The only thing keeping them in place were the stakes pounded in them....And they're supposed to be torqued to 109ft lbs. Got 2 new ones anway from the dealer. $7 and some change for each one.

whats the torque spec on tighten the nut. my 5th gear just started getting movement. i do alot of highway driving it is safe to drive like that for a few weeks?

Follow this link. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/248825-5th-gear-pop-out-i-searched-already.html Then follow Defiants link to the vfaq.

Searching for the key word "5th gear" will also show you many threads with people having the same problem. You need to tighten the big nut on the input shaft.

Hoping this will get read even though it's an old post, but would you happen to have the link showing this because I tried to follow Defiants link but it no longer exists thanks for any help

This happened to me on multiple cars. Always the same issue, always the same fix, tightening 36mm nut and be sure to indent groove as much as possible. My first instance of this happening, I just tightened the nut, it came loose a week later. Long chisel + 2lb sledge hammer and it hasn't happened since.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back