The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Replacing rear quarter panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycash

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
As some of you know I have been looking for somone to help me repair damages from the wreck on my Talon. Well I got sick and tired and decided to just hit it up yesterday, between estimates from 500-3500 its was enough to make me do it myself.

From previous expeirence I knew first hand I had to drill out all the tack welds, that being said I didn't know that would be at least a hundred welds. Even before I could do that I had to remove all the inside panels, outside panels, rear quarter panel window, moldings, rear tail lights, splash guards, and rear bumper.

After I got everything free from the quarter panel, I began drilling; after what seemed like hours my arm was sore and all the welds were gone. I grabbed my hammer and chisel and began tapping between the fender and inner fend wall, this nearly took forever. I finally called my friend up and asked him to brind his angle grinder, from there we cut the panel in 3-4 sections and either peeled it off or tapped it off with the chisel and hammer.

Once the dameged panel was off I grinded down some of the tack welds, I bent some of the inner fender while trying to remove the outer one; but that was easily repaired with some pliers. After that I test fitted my brand new panel (Thanks to JACKM!) and thats where I am at now. Tomorrow my friend comes by and were welding in the new panel, on Monday I have to go to the dealership to get some new clips due to a bunch breaking during the removal.

To give you guys somewhat of a idea of how long it took, I started around 11am and finished putting everything away at 06:30pm. The tools that were handy during this process; 3/8 rachet, 10mm socket, 3in ext. and 6in ext, electric drill, drill bits, gloves, safety glasses, philips and flat head screw driver, hammer, chisel, and grinder. Now here are some pics (sorry all I had was my crappy cell phone by me)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Beginning of the removal of the panel

Panel completely off

Damages that need to be straightened can do this with hammer and hard surface.

New Panel (Thanks the Jack M)

Authentic DSM sticker

Part Number and Date it was made

Test fitted

Good clearences

Clearence was good again

Hopefully this gives you guys somewhat of an idea of what I had to do, I honestly know now why the body shops charge so much for this kind of job; but if your like me and tight for cash, nothing feels better then doing it yourself and saving some money.

Paul

That's great work so far. I attempted a rear skin swap a couple of years ago and failed miserably... the damage to my rear quarter was more substantial than yours but nevertheless it's good to know that it can be done. I can totally empathize with how difficult of a job that is. Again, awesome work. Can't wait to see the completed pictures. :)

It is an old thread but the best one ive seen yet. Im in the middle of this on a 2g. I cut mine off with a 4" grinder, what do you mean by 'drilled the spot welds'? Anybody? That sounds a lot better to preserve the donor qp.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back